Simbin sending warnings to Sim racing community sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just sounds like a mass e-mail sent to all sites, SimBin are well within their right, mass overreaction by the OP!

2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

true :)
    Maybe may be afraid that the comunity mods is better that your own game!

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If our community had received an email from simbin with that kind of aggressive message we would for certain boycott and negatively talk about them.

They have their business model and they are free to defend it and protect it the way they want. However they should directly pursue the modders who use illegal content if they do with lucrative intentions.

For me it is the shame as if you are wearing a fake Rolex or if you are selling or producing them. Would you imagine Rolex denouncing the people wearing a fake one?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

But again, if these websites do not host simbin's illegally used content, no matter how threatening the email may sound, it's irrelevant. They need only ignore it and life goes on. Why the big fuss over an email that also by Guy's own volition holds no weight? I don't get it.

If it went as far as they managed (somehow) to take down perfectly legit mod site(s) that as you say is/are infamous for not allowing illegal mods to be hosted on their sites, only then is it worth getting all riled up.

If i owned the rights to materials that i did not want to be used without my permission as it's a source of income, then i too would be acting somewhat like simbim.

Yes, i would try my best to go after the source of the problem (the mod creator who ripped the content) but regardless of whether i did that or not, i would also persue any means to try and ensure that all content is removed from any possible sites which would be in the form of a mass email. Why? Because it's a much surer way of telling everyone who might be hosting my illegal content that i wish it be removed. For those whom it is of no concern to, they can/will simply ignore it.

If you have a copy of this mass email so we could see how threatening it is for ourselves as i agree that it should not be nasty (but i don't know the severity because i haven't read it).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  5. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Anyone care to paste this threatening warning here?

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

just ignore them.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Haven't they wrote an big notice letter to racing communities right after "project Nordschleife" was closed? It was pretty clear what they allow modders to and what not..

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

If the OP was'nt involved in illegal conversions himself, I might be able to take this "announcement" serious - to me this seems very biased and unconfirmed even ?

I'm staying away from Simbin products, simply because they are not for me any more...

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

i'm so confused right now :p

John, can you maybe shed a light on these hideous and intimidating treats? because so far there is nothing at all yet we are summoned to boycott simbin.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Like a chocolate bar with a razor blade in it...or a week long holiday to the graveyard...

11. Led566

Led566 Registered

What about the Historix mod? It does even have a GTLegends DVD check...
    There are dozens of leagues actually using it.
    And even worse: Will it ever made through to rF2?

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

People need to realize that simracing as a whole consists of several communities, not just one - each have their favorites, very naturally.

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Indeed, and I wasn't planning on doing so. not a personal army...

14. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

So are ISI happy for the licensed content in rF2 to be converted to other games? Will iRacing and Kunos allow conversions of their laser scanned tracks?

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

AAAAwwww I felt that between the legs, good for us bad for sim makers.

Perhaps they can all agree to share, as in...
    "You let us have that one and you can have this one."

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

They protect their content pretty well, even preventing capture from DirectX.
    This means they don't have to take any other actions against illegal conversions, so no one hates them for that :)
    iRacing content stays with iRacing and that's it. Good for them.

As for this topic in general - thanks, but no thanks. I'll choose whom I boycott myself. If someone else has a problem with certain game developer, it's his problem, not mine.

SimBin may have started as modding group, but now it's a full-time job for them. It's no longer a hobby they do in after hours - it's something that has to give them profits, otherwise they would have quit doing it and find themselves other jobs. Money gives them ability for licensing, collecting data, surveying famous tracks, etc.
    It's a value we all should pay for if we want to use it.

Those complaining about such state of things are usually those who fail to comprehend that.

EDIT after a while: (some other thoughts on my mind: :) )

You know, as soon as Game Stock Car was released, it's entire content (all cars and tracks) were converted straight into rFactor. Perhaps one should stop for a moment and wonder what kind of damage can this "community" do to game developers sometimes.
    When I found out about this converted GSC package, I spoke against it on our racing portal and even the person who found it on the net agreed. We never spoke of it again.

It kinda breaks your heart when you see young, emerging companies like Reiza being hurt at the very beginning of their journey. Studios with more history can take it, perhaps, but it's not like their financial abilities are unlimited (and yet, people sometimes act as if this is the case - complete lack of imagination in my opinion).

I will admit having some converted content myself, but I bought GTL, GTR2 and Race07 - games from where that content comes from. I haven't even installed Race07 for a long time after buying it, but I wanted to honor creators of the content I'm using personally. Not perfectly legal perhaps, but it's what I consider a fair use.

What I don't get, is when people do use converted content, but not only don't feel obligated to somehow compensate authors, but go further and justify themselves, saying that SimBin "owes something to the community" or other c**p like that.

Now go back to that ripped content from GSC I mentioned above - does Reiza owe us all their hard work for free? Do they really?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  17. tjc

tjc Registered

Excellent post K Szczech... sums it all up very nicely for me. :)

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Brilliant writeup, K Szczech - you nailed it pretty good there.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nobody has ever explicitly told me that I can't murder anyone who annoys me. I never see any signs saying that I can't do a lot of things... Sorry but that kind of crap doesn't stand up... Anywhere.

SIMBIN didn't declare an act of war here, they drew a line, a perfectly understandable one that is logical and not really very restrictive at all. And it most certainly isn't SIMBIN vs. Community - take a read.

If SIMBIN contact me and ask me to remove something, and I believe they have a legitimate right to request it, I'm going to do it also. This isn't a war, it's common courtesy. If a site isn't doing what they are being accused of, they simply say so. Leave this kind of crap off this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.