Silk smooth framerate and possibly prevents stuttering caused by 100% CPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KeiKei, Jun 21, 2012.

1. MJP

MJP Registered

Is there anything to actually back that assertion up. I remember back in the day in rF1 the discussions of what to use to help with input lag when using vsync, people chipped in with a variety of values 59/61/120.... all seemed a bit random to me.

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I don't know. It's what Nvidia Inspector says (in the drop down menu).

3. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Also read this if you have game stuttering.

The issue was with mother board monitoring software and possible Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86) installed on Windows 7 64bit.

Cheers

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes, I've tried both framerate limiters nVidia Inspector and player.pln - with and without vsync.

Tried it out and sure reduces input lag to a level it's almost undetectable to a naked eye. However 58 FPS is not completely smooth - or to my system/eyes it's not. It kind of doubles a frame every second or so. Personally prefer smoother framerate and tolerate a little input lag. However we are all individuals and what works best for someone may not be good for others. I guess it's best to try them out and see what works best.

Tested different triple buffering variations with D3DOverrider but really couldn't see any differences in input lag (excluding buddhatree's 58 FPS). I think triple buffering as a technique is not completely free from input lag. Also have read that Direct3D triple buffering is not a true triple buffering as in OpenGL. However had some nice results with D3DOverrider and "Maximum pre-rendered frames=1". Input lag was very low and framerate was smooth without any tearing. It also didn't cut framerate to half when below monitor refresh rate so it looked quite similar to adaptive vsync. Maybe a good alternative for those who don't want to change to latest nVidia drivers (which allow adaptive vsync).

But in the end I've changed back to settings described in post #21. nVidia's adaptive vsync works really nice, there is no tearing when inner FPS over 60, "playback" is smooth and with "Maximum pre-rendered frames=1" the input lag is very low/tolerable. When under 60 adaptive vsync removes input lag and therefore improves car handling. So I guess it's my choice for now on and I'm actually very happy how the game is with these settings. Of course it can be improved and looking forward for the ISI's forthcoming auto detail feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  5. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

I had stutter issues in rF1 until I disabled Hyperthreading and also closed msi afterburner program which was causing a stutter aswell.. so if you suffer from stutter issues with rF2, you can try closing all desktop programs and disable hyperthreading in the bios..

6. arnomar

arnomar Registered

I have a tip to earn an extra FPS (+5 average) and less stuttering on all tracks/conditions/cars in offline mod => After the first start race (green light) I make a pause and choose the option restart the race. You can control by CTRL+F

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I've noticed the same thing and it's pretty weird it actually works.

8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Since build 101 I've started using vsync software. No need to change any other settings (Player.ini and/or nVidia Control Panel) - just fresh install of the game to the empty folder, set vsync from in-game to software and make sure default settings are used in nVidia Control Panel. It has some graphical anomalies and bugs with some animations (flags, trackside personnel, etc.) but overall it gives pretty smooth framerate and input lag is extremely low so I feel very connected to the car. There is a kind of downward sweeping line every now and then (maybe every 2 seconds or so) but after few laps of hard driving I stop noticing it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  9. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I find with GTX480 SLI with i7 2700k @ 5ghz and 32GB ram, using all latest 300+ betas including the latest 306.02 since the other day. Setting frame limiter to 60, v-sync enabled to video in game and app controlled in nvidia drivers. Triple buffering forced in nvidia drivers, and pre rendered frames set to app controlled. I tried 1 and didnt notice any change so keep it at app control.

Also in Nvidia drivers I set this line to 0, default was some other figure but I cant remember now.

Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00000" // Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.

Also this setting I set at zero, cant remember if it was 1.0 or 0.0 by default. I cant say if this has made any difference and tried 1 and zero with no noticeable change but as my frame rate stays at 60p it may not be an issue but worth experimenting with others. I set it to 0 hoping that maybe it wont limit physics to my v-sync rate but I dont think it has made any difference in my testing.

Synchronize Frame="0.00000" // Extrapolate graphics using estimated render time in attempt to more accurately synchronize physics with graphics, 0.0 (off) - 1.0 (full)

I do get steady smooth 60p frames on my 1080p 55inch Panasonic Plasma, I tried every other option in the plr file and nvidia drivers and this is what has worked best for me. I have no noticeable input lag but my setup does comfortably keep the frame rate above 60 most of the time with full AI grids and settings maxed. The few times it does drop looks to me like triple buffering is working as the frame rate does still appear at higher then 30p and looks to do 50-60 quite well.

Using SLI generally tends to cause more stuttering issues but with this config it works very smoohly for me and looks great with a full field of cars in front. Mirrors on some tracks cause a slow down in some sections though such as the front straight in Portugal drops my framerate to 50 with a full field or even on a single car test day which is odd. I get the same thing with 64x SLI aa mode or aa off so its very odd and I only get this at that track and searspoint. If I disable the mirrors it never drops below 60p no matter the AA level or amount of cars on screen.

At first load on RF2 it looked horrible for me even though it showed a steady 60p it looked like it was skipping 5% of the frames, disabling SLI just reduced performance on max settings to around 35-50 fps in heavy traffic or high AA modes. With these settings I can use any AA modes with hardly any hit in both SLI rendering and SLI AA modes. Rain and heavy traffic does cause a little more of a performance hit but overall it has been running great.

In comparison I can run RF1 with 60+ cars all visible on screen in any aa mode at a constant 60p.

10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Driver 306.02 is the first of the 300's that have worked as well as the 296.10 for me.

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm waiting for the day that Nvidia and/or ISI get SLI optimized (again). Nvidia did something way back when but it didn't make SLI worth using for me. I have a second card just sitting on the shelf. My FPS is faster without it. I'm cautiously optimistic because the frame rate is getting fairly good using a single card. If getting SLI re-optimized can make it even 20% better then that will get me there using 3 screens and everything ON/MAX/FULL. And regardless of SLI, if something can be done to improve the real FPS crushers, Shadows and Multiview, I'll just about be there.

I guess this is off topic but oh well... don't reply

12. Nick88

Nick88 Registered

I have an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5850. Keikei I tried your option of 'Software' in Sync but the FPS was absolutely horrible. So I went back to your old settings and tried Video and it was great but just in place FPS dropped. Swapped in to GPU and it was a dream:

Change "Render Once Per VSync" to "3" in \rFactor2\UserData\player\player.PLR
    Go to in-game settings and set "Sync: GPU"
    Auto Detail Framerate="120"

This may not be great Keikei, seems to work ok though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Whats the word on the street about sync these days concerning rF2 and nvidia, it seems like between every few driver versions things change for better for one than the other?

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Or you can turn off VSync completely and use "Max Framerate" (in the PLR file) to keep the frame rate to something reasonable to prevent the CPU from maxing. Great post. I wish more people understood that running 400 FPS is a total waste on a 60hz LCD.

Edit: Never mind, I see in your other thread that you are already aware of "Max Framerate". That other thread is excellent too.

16. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Thanks! Good to hear people find those useful. I'm not expert in graphics but writing mainly about practical things what I've found out and some theories I've learned from different Internet sites.

17. Gaspedal

Gaspedal Registered

very old thread, but it still works great with Render Once Per VSync" to "3" and vsynch: video! now the game is very smooth with the framerate and I don't have input lag. :)

thx!!!