Silk smooth framerate and possibly prevents stuttering caused by 100% CPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KeiKei, Jun 21, 2012.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I believe vsync is reducing FPS to half even though FPS counter is showing slightly higher values. Maybe "inner" framerate is bouncing around 60 so it rapidly switches between 30 and 60 resulting 35-40 in FPS counter. However I've found a really good alternative for that too. This is for nVidia cards and don't know if others have similar possibilities. Also don't know if it works with other operating systems than Windows 7. Haven't tested it with multiplayer yet so hopefully no drawbacks there. Here it goes:

1. Change "Render Once Per VSync" to "0" in \rFactor2\UserData\player\player.PLR
    2. Go to in-game settings and set "Sync: None/Off"
    3. Right click on desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"
    4. Select "Manage 3D settings" (under "3D Settings")
    5. Change to tab "Program Settings"
    6. Click button "Add" and browse to \rFactor2\Core\, select rFactor2.exe and click "Open"
    7. Change "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to "1"
    8. Change "Vertical sync" to "Adaptive"
    9. Click button "Apply"

It seems "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1" is doing pretty much same thing as "Render Once Per VSync=3" but adaptive vsync doesn't work unless "Render Once Per VSync" is changed back to the original value 0. "Maximum pre-rendered frames=1" reduces input lag and also prevents stuttering on my system caused by 100% CPU.

Adaptive vsync is a great feature from nVidia and hopefully ISI will implement it into the game. It switches vsync on when the inner framerate goes above 60. Of course it causes input lag but "Maximum pre-rendered frames=1" keeps it low and sim is very drivable. Framerate is steady and smooth. When inner framerate goes below 60 vsync is turned off so it allows framerate to be as high as possible (doesn't cut it to half). Downside is it will cause screen tearing BUT at the same time it removes the input lag. This helps controlling the car when framerate is not smooth so IMHO it's a perfect thing for a racing simulation.

Try it out and report back how it goes?

View attachment 3106

Note: nVidia Control Panel says "Maximum pre-rendered frames" setting doesn't apply to SLI

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Also, set "max pre-rendered frames" to 1 in the nvidia control panel. For ati amd its called Flip Queue, I think stock its set to either 3 or "undefined". I used to set it to either 0 or 1, but I noticed setting it to 2 or 3 (cant remember) made some games smoother, with no or less stutters, but the input lag was definetely decreased when setting it to 0 or 1 (cant remember I think it was 0). I think this works even when you dont use vsync, but I cant remember lol.

4. Dave Lowe

Dave Lowe Registered

I have a q6600 and a gtx450 , for me with this build running with two cores gives me no stutters at all, no vsync, prior to doing this I had to rn with vsync set to gpu to obtain smooth gameplay , give it a try, running latest Betas drivers also

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6238-Micro-stutters-physics-lag-and-number-of-cores-in-use

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Tested it - no problems with multiplayer and working as it should.

Adaptive vsync feels so damn good that I've disabled the auto detail option (back to default in player.pln: Auto Detail Framerate="0"). With almost all graphic details set to max and 29 cars visible it's still very drivable even if FPS goes down to 40 (which only happens for example at Spa/Historic like 5 seconds during start of the race when all 29 cars are close to each other/front of me). Don't get me wrong - I still think forthcoming auto detail feature is highly needed but it just needs some development and would make a great pair with adaptive vsync.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The problem with vsync is that your system has to be able to render frames consistently at or above the refresh rate of your monitor. If your system can't keep up, then the frame rates will drop to around half rate. This is not something wrong, this is just how vsync works. Your best bet to get vsync to work is to set your graphics settings to where you are getting higher frame rates than your refresh rate at all times with no vsync on. Once you can achieve this, then turn on vsync and you should see smoother framerates. If your system can handle it, turning on triple buffer will smooth things out as well, but keep in mind that your GPU ram will have to be able to handle 3 frames at once, so it will be impossible for some.

1 person likes this.
  7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

KeiKei is talking about the adaptive vsync setting in the new Nvidia drivers. It is not like normal vsync.

With that setting, vsync is only enabled when your framerates are above your refresh rate. If you drop below your refresh rate, vsync is disabled.

Also, triple buffering is only for OpenGL games and is not supported in DirectX games without a "hack" found in Riva Tuner.

Enabling triple buffering in the control panel will have no effect in DirectX games.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

VIDEO Sync used it since day one...

lastest WHQL are fine why would you go back to driver does not support FXAA ...loopy

and whats stutter ?

lol;)

9. tjc

tjc Registered

I tried the latest drivers as I said mate and I had to roll back to the 296.10`s as was getting really bad performance with the 300.xx series of drivers...

With the 296.10`s I don`t really have stutter problems either. In general I`m stutter free but I do get a split second stutter/freeze every now and again but I`m hoping my upgrade will sort all those types of probs. :)

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

1. FXAA is is supported in the 296.10 drivers.

2. FXAA is for weak little girly cards that can't handle real AA ;)

Why on Earth would you use FXAA when you have a GTX 570?? What a waste lol :rolleyes:

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

If one goes back to 296,10 drivers; how do I get rid of all the stuff from these?
    Have to be pretty precise with that I imagine?

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

@KeiKei

Have you every tried the "frame rate limiter" in the Nvidia drivers instead of vsync? Or with vsync? In the drop down menu, there's a setting of 58fps. It says it's to be used with 60fps vsync to reduce the input lag.

View attachment 3134

You can only access that feature with NvInspector.

I'm going to try it now @ 60 without vsync.

14. MJP

MJP Registered

Is this any better than the frame rate limiter in the PLR?

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Better? I don't know, but it's easier to get to and change and you can set it to "turn on" if your GPU reaches a certain temp.

Some people use frame rate limiting to keep their video card temps low, so I guess this is indeed "better" :)

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

OK, I think I've found the prefect settings! lol :eek:

A combination of adaptive vsync and frame rate limiter to reduce input lag. It's really really nice!

View attachment 3136

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

adaptive vsync just baically shuts normal vsync off automatically when your frames drop below 60, and turns regular vsync back on when your frames hit 60, so with that option being used frame rate limiter should technically not be needed and/or relevant.

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You didn't look at the screen shot?

Frame rate limiter @ 58 fps is specifically to be used with 60Hz vsync. It reduces input lag.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

ohhh thats so weird i wonder why specifically 58 would reduce input lag and not any other number, must be some methemtical thing, weird. Does it actually seem to work? I always thought vsync only works at 60, 30 and lower fps. hmmmm interesting. Do you know if enabling triple buffering helps with vsync input lag?