Should I buy Oculus Rift or wait for the next generation of VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Speaking of PC requirements - are there any news of Nvidia's next cards? Was it Q1 they were supposed to be introduced? Has anyone heard anything about price/performance?

2. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Before pushing up the resolution, the focus should be first on optimizing the overall VR performance. Eyetracking with Foveated rendering to reduce the required rendering power, maybe optimized SLI-support, or other stuff.
    It makes almost no sense to raise just the resolution for a better image quality, but only a Highend-PC could render it with the needed high framerates. Of course ... the screendoor effect should be less pronounced with a better display, and even a downscaled image should be look better.

Zoaal likes this.
  3. bluet

bluet Registered

Waiting for news on pimak 8k version5 They will demo at CES 2018.....200 FOV is more interesting for me

4. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Judging by how much my 1080 struggles* with the Samsung Odyssey (2,880 x 1,600), I will be skipping the Pimax until the newer generation of Nvidia cards is released or waiting on foveated rendering VR.

*it runs at 90 fps, but only with low rF2 graphical settings and SteamVR at x2.2 (equivalent of 150% in Oculus)

I used to run with almost everything at Max on a 21:9 monitor at 3840*1620, albeit at 60fps

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Can you get smooth fps with a full grid?

Also does the super sample thing allow you to clearly see what's going on on the distant horizon?

And has anyone tried this helmet thing in VR? does it improve realism or is just annoying?

6. momoracer

momoracer Registered

I wonder how will foveated rendering work? i hope they only add cameras, not lasers.. i wouldn't feel safe having my eyes aimed with a laser all the time tracking my vision. A camera should be safe since it doesn't emit anything.

I guess eye tracking tech will show up in 2020... a reason why I may just wait it out until then.

I heard the Odyssey's tracking is worse than Oculus or Vive.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

tracks are very different in rf2 some more optimised than others , generally not

8. Comante

Comante Registered

marvelharvey , would you be so kind to write a short review of your headset? As it is one of the most interesting of the Microsoft take on VR I think we are all eager to hear from you.

9. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

If you have the possibility to try out a headset (be it a Vive or Rift) at a friend: do it. Then you can judge for yourself if you can live with the resolution and if you get sick. Before I got my Rift I tried it at a good friend of mine with Iracing and that changed my view on the first consumer versions of the available headsets. Yes, the resolution is not that crystal clear as on a screen but the immersion more than makes up for it imo. So after some days I first tried it I had to buy an Oculus Rift. I don’t regret anything, it changed sim racing completely for me, it now feels much more intuitive and real to race. But yeah…check for yourself.

I’m curious and excited about the next gen of headsets but I think that’ll still take some time. The Vive Pro which was just presented is more of a 1.5 version and not a real step further. Also you need a really really good PC to handle these new devices. My guess is that a next gen arrives in 1 or 2 years and then I’ll have to update my complete PC.

Hazi, Seven Smiles and MaD_King like this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

12. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

There are far better reviewers out there than I, but here's a few bullet points:

+Feels like a slightly wider FOV than the Oculus, despite them both stating 110 degrees
    +The screen-door effect is noticeably reduced
    +The additional pixels are most welcome and make for a more pleasant experience. I found the Oculus to fatigue my eyes after a few minutes, but I was able to race with the Odyssey for 1 hour without feeling the eyestrain.
    +Inside out tracking works perfectly and I'm loving not have to have sensors/additional cables lying around my room. Especially with 2 kids who love pulling on everything they can reach.
    +God rays have been reduced
    +More comfortable to wear

-The lenses have a narrower sweet spot
    -The screen-door effect is still very much there
    -There are many more pixels, but it doesn't improve the image as much as I hoped
    -I've experienced some technical issues with Microsoft Mixed Reality thinking that I've removed my headset when I'm still in game. I know that doesn't sound too much like a problem, but it is. If Microsoft thinks you're now looking at the desktop, the VR game becomes a lower CPU priority and terrible stuttering occurs. You then have to pause the game and refocus Windows back to VR.

Conclusion: If you have an Oculus, it's not worth the upgrade. This is VR v1.2. Not v1.5 or v2.0. If you're stepping into VR for the first time and the choice is Oculus or Odyssey, I'd say 100% get the Odyssey.

MaD_King and Comante like this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah sounds like that have a few flaws to work out, I'll still be keeping an eye on it but it's not top of my Want list currently, one of those that would need a trial run before purchase but I don't think that'd be possible.

14. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I noticed this problem, but at least in my case it's specific to rFactor 2. What I found is that because of the palette rF2 uses, it creates a lot of glare in the lenses and that wears your eyes down after a while. I can drive in AC or iRacing for hours without a problem, so it's clear where the problem lies. rF2 has the worst VR support amongst all sims that implemented it, by far.

And the fact that bumps still make your whole view shake is hilarious, that would make a lot of inexperienced VR users feel sick

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Have made the change mentioned in the VR settings thread?
    Make sure both "Head Physics" and "Exaggerate Yaw" are set to 0% in the controller settings menu

In your player.JSON file change values to 0 as below:

"Car Vibration Mult1":0,
    "Car Vibration Mult2":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult1":0,
    "Cockpit Vibration Mult2":0, **UPDATE 06/07/2017 this may be defaulted as standard now

16. momoracer

momoracer Registered

So the Vive PRO has been out for a while, still no reviews on sims.... anyone????

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  17. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I'm probably going to get one but when I looked into ordering it said a two month wait. So I decided my $1000 can wait in the bank for two months.

I would guess that's why no reviews?

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Lots of general reviews
    I came to the conclusion it’s not a big enough step from my CV1 so I’ll await a much higher res headset to be released before taking the step

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I would hope it's more comfortable than a Rift , i've seen people adapt the Rift onto bicycle helmets for better comfort , lol :p

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  20. momoracer

momoracer Registered

For me the current reviews are useless. They must be from someone that is a sim racer, ideally an rfactor 2 player.