Short range shadow cut off

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by msportdan, May 31, 2014.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I've noticed that on Indy look along the wall (on grid) the shadow (if sun is right) is really cut off close to you. Looks a bit unsightly. My anisoptric is at x4 but even at 16 doesn't seem to affect shadows.

Is there a hidden shadow distance. Not sure its on any other tracks.

[​IMG]

you can see the shadow just cut off very close to car, end of wall on right.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  2. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

You won't get a reply on this problem as I have been looking for a solution for this since day 1 of rf2. :(

3. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

I suffer this, except for me it's 30m infront of me all the time.

On the Silverstone straight, Come out of Luffield and the stands also do it.

This has only happened since the last 2 builds for me, I tried every configuration with little change, it's always there.

it's very distracting when your racing and for me it is slightly irritating to have a £400 card in my machine delivering that when the rest of it is starting to look good lol.

I'm sure it will be fixed at some point because in the last couple of builds ISI have been paying major attention to the HDR side of the game, and imo coming along nicely with it, certain elements within the environment are now really starting to work better.

I hadn't mentioned it assuming it would be attended to at the appropriate time in a later build, and things like this are extremely complicated, so there tend to be side effects here and there.

Certainly seems more chat around the forum about this since the last build.

The ISI squad seem to have good momentum with things at the moment and I don't want to disturb that;), besides I am confident it will be sorted out eventually

4. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I get this and think ive posted this befire

5. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I would say its designed in the object at the track.. (shadow out parameter) - but it might just be the rendering (if the settings above actually draw it out further).

RFACTOR 2
    –----------
    TRACK TECHNOLOGY SHADOWS

Casting shadows By design, all objects in rFactor 2 are self - shadowing. However, this doesn’t mean that an object will cast a shadow on other objects. In fact, this is turned off by default for obvious performance reasons. Shadows will hurt performance, and therefore require some attention to get a good balance between visual pleasure and performance. This means , for instance, that none of the TrackSide Objects (TSO) cast any shadows on the terrain.

Setting up an object as a shadow caster is as easy as checking the Caster checkbox in the Shadows section of the Instance rollout, and providing a Shadow Out value. This defines at which distance the engine will stop rendering the object’s shadow for performance reasons.

7. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

to me it's more like it's surrounding the car and the car proximity makes it occur, you can see it when you edge the car out at limerock, cutting straight out, near the bridge end.

As you move forward the shadow starts to go 20m in front of you on the railing and get more and more wide as you get closer.

It is engine related for sure, lets see what happens in the next build.

8. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

It's nothing todo with track or HDR. It is a setting on which view you are using. Just look at my thread here.