SHH shifter feedback

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Lazza, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi all,

I know some here have had the SHH shifter since a few years ago, can anyone give long term feedback on it? I'm a "buy something now and use it for 10 years" kind of guy, so durability is key...

Thoughts on other shifters welcome, but I'm also cheap. So bear that in mind.

Desk mount currently ideal, maybe one day something more like a rig will be involved but - as above - I'm the type inclined to buy a steel bracket and drill suitable holes myself rather than relying on (buying) ready made adaptors.

Thanks!

2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So just an update to avoid anyone wandering along and giving advice I no longer need (though catering for anyone else asking the same question, in the unlikely event they find this thread, wouldn't really hurt anything):

Limiting myself to fairly inexpensive shifters without a gating function, I decided on the VNM shifter despite some drawbacks in comparison to the SHH - like a much slower switch between sequential and H pattern modes, done via changing the top plate. I figured for this level I could spend a bit more and reduce the (apparent) extra noise from the plastic casing, and get a more solid and positive feel to the shift movement. In the event I want to do some proper sequential and commit to racing something (which would then mean solid hours of driving) I don't mind the few minutes to swap to the sequential and get the improved feel of the V2 sequential plate the VNM now comes with.

If budget were a major issue and I was more into playing games like AC where switching cars and different controls happens more frequently I think the SHH would have been a very good option. For what I do, and I enjoy driving some older H-pattern cars, I decided the heavier feel was worth it, and if I occasionally drive something sequential I can use the paddles for that. If I go for full-on Supercars stints then I'll do the proper sequential.

Maybe one day I'll end up with a proper gated shifter on a proper rig and better pedals, but for the next few years this will do.

Could be interesting to see what VNM comes out with in the coming months/years, they seem to be doing some quality stuff and react to feedback from reviewers at least. Except for the plate screws, I may source stainless replacements for those.

PatientRF2fan, Emery and lagg like this.