Share your OSW Settings

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by cookie, May 12, 2016.

1. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:oops: Apologies. Real life reared it's ugly head. Definitely get on to it when I'm home tonight.

2. sman

sman Registered

Hi yes turn up your nOverall Filter normally its on 5 but when i have your problem i dial up to 10 0r sometimes even 20 / can go higher also

3. sman

sman Registered

Dont understand i notice (already had a good FFB in RF2) now agfter last build it even improved , i have Lenze 29NM

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Better late than never. ;)
    Alrighty then, I have never driven le renault, so for a few mouldy bagels I had a my very own hotted up convertible 4cv. :D

I have a SimiCUBE, Ioni ProHC, 480w psu, small mige with sincos encoder, running the 0.9.8 SimuCUBE firmware and 10702 IONI firmware.
    This is my profile I use, the only thing I changed is the steering range.
    simucube settings renault.JPG

In game control settings, default garage setup
    GRAB_003.JPG

I have to agree with you about the lack of weight but with my controller settings the ripple strips were fine as normal.
    I list some of my FFB settings from my controller.JSON you can try so hopefully you can attack ripple strips with vengeance.

"Jolt magnitude":0.5,
    "Jolt magnitude#":"How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.",
    "Off-road multiplier":0.3,
    "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",

"Rumble strip magnitude":0,
    "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
    "Rumble strip pull factor":0.5,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",
    "Steering effects strength":-10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",

I didn't try changing the following but raising these may help put some weight in the wheel.

"Steering resistance coefficient":0.1,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0.1,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
    "Steering spring coefficient":0,
    "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering spring saturation":0.1,
    "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

I don't feel the need to use dampeners and springs etc for the cars I drive hence why I'll leave that up to you to try out.

So that's about it, nothing magical or secret squirrel, I can't be arsed tinkering to much because, as is, the T500 I had before is nothing but unfantastic plastic memory. :cool:
    I have no problems if you report back that those settings are crap, we are all different.
    Good luck!

ApainPlost and philmcqueen like this.
  5. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Hello everyone,

i´m just curious to know, wich effect impacts have to change this values:

83baa5bef625b61ed3ec3590660ac6d9abab9778.PNG
    5f5c9be96f53d75de03a30e2413f5582d8a8cd92.PNG
    c2aa892ae26f751e1d56544ee8c828daa2e09d7c.PNG

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

When you calibrate and assign your controllers the data is written there.
    Steering wheel axis, clutch, brake and throttle axis

Any thing listed with the numbers
    have no controller assigned to it

So basically, there should be no reason to change anything there.

philmcqueen likes this.
  7. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Okay so after a all evening yesterday, i´ve done some test and open thread (maybe at the wrong place..Sorry for that) where i keep searching ...

Here it is: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/osw-wheel-profile-json.60127/

But i think i will move it here:

Hello everyone,

i use an OSW Mige 30NM ( From AUGURY ) with the SIMUCUBE firmware V9.9 (released two days ago)

Simucube.PNG

I was just curious to understand wich difference have in changing certain values in the .JSON file. We can read that there is differents effects that we can "send" to the wheel or to the device (pedals,shifters)
    I understand at this point that, except if you have a SHIFTER or a PEDALS abble to receive "vibration" the best is to send the effect to the WHEEL
    We can have a look, opening the json file (use notepad+) of your STEERING WHEEL profile, and we will see it at the line 464:

"Brake effects on steer axis":1,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",

As you can see , i´ve decided to put the effect on the steering wheel.

Line 466 we have the possibility to define the "strength" of this effect and we tell us to use a value in between -10000 and +10000

"Brake effects strength":10000,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",

Line 468 we have also the possibility to define the "coefficient" of the "brakes spring" using a value between -1.0 and +1.0

"Brake spring coefficient":1.0,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",

And you have the same possibilities for the CLUTCH , and the GEARBOX

Here comes my question. I have create two different JSON files. One with all the values in NEGATIVE (-10 000 and -1.0) and another with all the values in POSITIVE. Once on "the track" i didn´t notice any changes.

It will be interesting to know what am i missing.Any help is welcome.

#################
    #################

Below is the detail of the JSON file: IN THIS CASE ALL STRENGTH VALUE ARE SET TO 10000 . EFFECTS and COEFFICIENT also set to 1
    "Brake effects on steer axis":1,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Brake effects strength":10000,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Brake spring coefficient":1.0,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Brake spring saturation":1.0,
    "Brake spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

"Clutch effects on steer axis":1,
    "Clutch effects on steer axis#":"0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Clutch effects strength":10000,
    "Clutch effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Clutch spring coefficient":1.0,
    "Clutch spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Clutch spring saturation":1.0,
    "Clutch spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

"Gearbox effects on steer axis":1,
    "Gearbox effects on steer axis#":"0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Gearbox effects strength":10000,
    "Gearbox effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Gearbox spring coefficient":1.0,
    "Gearbox spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Gearbox spring saturation":1.0,
    "Gearbox spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

8. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

I´ll would ike to share with you 3 different JSON files:
    Osw_Phil19082018_+1: All values are set to 10000 and 1.0
    Osw_Phil19082018_-1: All valued are set to -10000 and -1.0
    Osw_Phil19082018_+1_02 : STRENGTH are set to -10 000 and EFFECTS / COEFFICIENTS to +1.0
    Osw_Phil19082018_+1_03: STRENGTH are set to 0 and EFFECTS / COEFFICIENTS to +1.0

Here are the files: JSON

Don´t forget to LOAD before getting on the track.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. sman

sman Registered

I have iracing and AC too but those sucks with ffb cant compare to RF2 AC turn your wheel and loose all grip and feels like falling off a cliff . RF2 catching slides is a heavenly job

10. daniel monteiro

daniel monteiro Registered

Sorry to hijack and make a slight off-topic here: I have the same wheel as you, Simon. I am trying to tinker infinitely with the settings to get the feeling right for me, but one thing I am struggling with is that the USB cable for the wheel button panel disconnects itself more often than not, and this is really annoying when in game as it causes a lag when the game finds the device again. Any tips on how to keep it stable?

And thanks for all the settings suggestions, changing some things I never thought I'd change have made a good difference!

11. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

I have an USB hub in my monitor so I have an short extension and use an velcro strap to secure the connector

upload_2018-8-11_16-13-42.png

On wheel I have just put the coiled cord between the screws

upload_2018-8-11_16-15-14.png

Don't keep it to tight or fixed, then there is a risk that the cable break after a while (as it did in my first layout before this)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    daniel monteiro and ApainPlost like this.
  12. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Here are my setting. This feels great to me.. although I've never driven a real race car. This setting gives me really good feeling with fwd and rwd cars. No clipping, oscillation, harshness or any strange behavior base on my basic knowledge of how a car behaves on the street.

At one time, a real race car driver (formula type and fwd cars) got the chance to test my rig and he recon it feeling pretty realistic. No strange behavior was detected by him either. Although he just tested it 1 hour or two.. maybe is not enough for proper judgement.

I have more than 1000 hours in rf2 with this OSW settings. Can't tell if its the right one.

My rig: Small mige 20 Nm - simucube ioni

Mmos setting:
    Mmos setting.jpg

Controller setting:
    1)To set my controller files, the first thing I did was to close steam application and deleting the controller.JSON file into the PLAYER FOLDER.
    2)Then I got inside the game session and start editing AZKeyboard profile with my new entries (throttle, brake, clutch, steering, gearbox, seats, fov etc).
    3)Click the ¨DETECT¨ button. then save the profile with a new name.
    4)Getting out of the game, close steam application and modify controller files genarated by rf2. (The controller file inside player folder, and the controller file with the name I created before, inside the 'Controller folder'.

In both controller.JSON files I only change the following lines:
    "Rumble strip pull factor":-1.5,
    "Steering effects strength":-10000
    "Steering torque capability":20,
    "Use thread":true,

Inside game FFB settings:
    FORCE FEEDBACK TYPE: Wheel
    FFB SMOOTHING: 0
    CAR-SPECIFIC FFB MULT: 1.0
    STEERING WHEEL RANGE: Whatever value is set on Mmos (exactly the same value)
    FFB minimum torque: 0.0%

I hope this help someone to enjoy his OSW.
    regards

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    philmcqueen likes this.
  13. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

(i am on a SimQuip OSW system IONO Pro HC + small MiGE with MMos)

what do the sliders do in-game:
    - speed sensitivity? (have seen OSW users with 0-100%)
    - steering rate? (same here 0-100%)

not sure what this is for?

and for MMos users/ with experience:
    - what is or what does “overall filter” do? (0-xx?)

i seem to have good balance and feeling with original rF2 content, specifically “Sebring” with “RSR” but some other tracks and vehicle combos feel strange, very flat, and sometimes steering feeling goes away in high speed corners or accelerating our if corners in various cars (in original content vehicles)
    modded cars have not found any car to feel good, either too flat, no feel, too understeery or extreme oversteer. not sure how else to dial in rF2, as much as i want to learn about it and use it.

thank you all for your help.

14. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

rF2 is really 'mod quality dependant'. Cars are completly different to one another and ffb feeling right or wrong depends entirely on how good the suspension geometry and steering arms were modded. So it's hard to find no-oficial content that is really worth it. For example, in fwd cars I can only enjoy the civic btcc. With tracks is the same story.. if it's modded with uneven surfaces, bumps, real rumble strips etc.. then the driving experience would be good. If it's a perfect flat surface the driving experience suffers a lot.

Overall filter does exactly what its says. It filters out information. You would feel the steering smoother at the cost of losing info. Try different filter configurations, and see how they feel.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Quoted from here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-game-guide-and-f-a-q.119019/

Steering rate:
    Affects digital controllers (buttons and keyboards). It sets the amount of time it takes to get to full steering lock.
    Speed sensitivity:
    Decreases steering lock at higher speeds

16. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Here's my Simucube settings i'm using for rf2 at the moment. Thought i would post these settings here since these seems to be a bit different from what other people seems to be using.

i'm using the notch filter to cut out some of the high frequency (imo nasty feeling) stuff from rf2 ffb because that allows me to use less filtering.

Then i tried to compare different ways of filtering for rf2 ffb. To me it felt best to do most of the filtering by adjusting the TBW value.
    So now i keep reconstruction filter at 1, rf2 ffb smoothing at 0 and adjust TBW if i want more or less filtering.
    For examble i use TBW 150 hz for Mclaren M23 and 470 hz for Porsche RSR.

Also i have adjusted the "steering resistance coefficient" from controller.json to some higher than default value and i'm using the direct input effect damping to make more precise adjustments.

Attached Files:

MaD_King likes this.
  17. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

Interesting and different approach, I'll try these

18. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you @Korva7, will test the TBW values, because I I tried to use reconstruction or FFB Smooting to solve the vibration effect but I lost in feeling and lost time on track.

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Just a word of warning. There is no huge difference in feel between these settings and the normal ones, so don't get your hopes too high.

mixer61 and MaD_King like this.
  20. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Anyone got the new osw default profile working? I thought it was meant to auto update the degrees of rotation per car but it seems a bit hit and miss.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018