Share your best .json file tip-tweak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mesfigas, Aug 25, 2018.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i tried the number 4 setting which is the "very sharp" and textures was so digital....
    so i went back to 5 which is the Auto

2. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

I agree. Actually I prefer to use 2, since it produces the opposite effect, that is, it softens the image a bit. Try it and maybe you will like it.

mesfigas likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Over the years I've used many player.JSON tweaks, some have become "invalid" for whatever reason, in recent months or since S397 took over the mantle I've stuck to these ones only:

I have an SHH Shifter and I noticed early on that I was "miss-shifting" quite often, that is going up/down two gears in quick succession when I didn't mean too, this setting alleviates that accidental double gear change:
    "Repeat Shifts":4,
    "Repeat Shifts#":"0 = no repeat shift detection, 1 = detect and eliminate accidental repeat shifts within 100ms, 2 = 150ms, 3 = 200ms, 4 = 250ms, 5 = prevent shifting again before previous shift is completed",

One setting that I firmly believe should've been in the UI from the start is this one, we are all a different level of driver and nothing is more non-human like than AI driving 100% perfect laps for 2 hour races. Using the AI Mistakes tweak I alter this based on the cars I'm running against so they're more "my skill level":
    "AI Mistakes":0.6,
    "AI Mistakes#":"0 a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency",

In VR I like to keep most Message Center information turned off, this one in particular:
    "One Lap To Go Warning":0,
    "One Lap To Go Warning#":"Race only: 0=none, 1=message, 2=white flag, 3=both, Race+Qual: add 4. Feature not implemented for timed races or lapped vehicles.",

This is handy for Alt-tabbing and also when using VR (I have the mirror in a Window) it becomes handy when using Motec in the background for example:
    "Pause If Focus Lost":false,
    "Pause If Focus Lost#":"whether to automatically pause if window loses focus (single-player only)",

When using Resume From Replay I don't need to waste SSD space by saving Prac/Qual sessions so this just saves the Race:
    "Save All Replay Sessions":false,
    "Save All Replay Sessions#":"whether to save the replay from each session",

Again primarily for my VR experience and using Crew Chief I don't need to see an Icon saying my Fuel is low, so all on screen icons are turned off:
    "Display Icons":0,
    "Display Icons#":"Icons displayed if HUD is off: 0 = none, 1 = flags only, 2 = all",

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Touching those values it's really a bad idea, especially for official tracks. Isn't only mip bias offset affecting sharpness@distance, but also depends on how many mip levels a texture has, and since not all the textures shares the same amount of MIPs (like official Studio397 Tracks), that is something we do NOT encourage/support, as it's prone to create an unbalanced output.

Goanna likes this.
  5. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Good one. You learn something new everyday

6. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

WOW this got a response quickly from a staff member yet I'm still waiting for over a year on gt3 window templates when can we get them.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

Thanks for the reply. Although I have not noticed the effect, if it is said by a member of the team, surely it is true. I will proceed to leave it with the default value. I take this to ask the following: Does the modification of this value have any effect on VR?

mesfigas likes this.
  8. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

Everything looks great to me, the game runs very smooth so I touch nothing.

bwana and DrivingFast like this.
  9. Louis

Louis Registered

Unfortunately didnt work well with some vehicles of 2017 f1 mod i found theses days. But i had to do more tests. If i remember correctly the Renault worked well. I think the generated image is from some hood cam and thats why my mirror is showing the back of the mirror in "reflected" image
    20180829211129_1.jpg

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

It works best with F12013 from what I tried, although above is pretty good, I think I see parts of car. If you adjust mirrors, you might see helmet. I don't see halo in your screenshot, is it removed?

Self in rearview is brilliant feature, it is not realistic to not see your car in mirror, especially in tintops. I really hope it gets attention it deserves in new iterations of the official content, and then will become more widely included by community.

Edit: haha, what halo, it's 2017 :) sorry

ebeninca, Narrowbackwing and Louis like this.
  11. Louis

Louis Registered

Yes, i can see the helmet but i think it isnt supposed to show because i think what generate the image in the mirror is from that hood cam pointed backwards that shows drivers face and some parts of the car. I cant take a screenshot now to show better what im trying to say but will do later. But im not sure if this is the logic behind how mirrors work
    if you didnt edit your message, i would answer that i always remove halo eheh. I forget that year halo was not present too

12. Louis

Louis Registered

This is the cam i think that generate the "self" in mirrors (remembering that i have no clue if this is how mirrors works in game)
    365960_20180831215917_1.png
    Maybe mods that dont create the self car image in the mirror is because doesn´t have this view. (but im guessing, I dont even know if all mods has this view by default)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Louis I liked the guess so I investigated in devmode, the skip barber works well with 'self in rearview = "*"'. The skip barber doesn't have that rear view (its only onboard rearview is showing the rear wing, and is just labelled as one of the onboards so the game wouldn't really know to use it anyway) - so it doesn't rely on having that camera view, no.

I played around with position offsets on each of the 3 main cameras, and that rear-facing camera just in case, and swingman as well, and nothing was changing where the mirror image is drawn from (so it continues showing the front side of the mirrors themselves, in the mirror view). The mirror image does change when you switch from cockpit to either hood or tvcockpit (both show the same mirror view) but it would appear nothing in the .cam file determines where that view's origin is. I guess it's maybe something to do with the gmt referenced under Instance=mirrors, but that's also a guess :) (in the past I've wondered if 0,0,0 matters, but in the skip barber that's only slightly in front of the helmet, so maybe not...)

*Note you can, I think, put 'mirrors' in the self in rearview (instead of *) and it will exclude that instance, so you don't see your own mirrors. At least for the skip barber, I don't know how standardised that instance name is... but anyway, that doesn't resolve the camera positioning itself. This is really more a modding question of course, and I'm sure experienced modders know how this works...

ebeninca and Louis like this.
  14. Louis

Louis Registered

Thanks for checking @Lazza. I will try if another modern f1 to see if only that specific mod has this issue. This f1 2017 is new to me and, if i understand correctly, the skip barber despite not having that hood cam but reflect the correctstuff and lron Wolf said that f1 2013 is ok too. The problem could be in this mod only pehaps

15. Louis

Louis Registered

Well, tested 3 more (f1 1988, fisi,and f1 2012 Marussia - pack with original skins someone did in the past)
    The 2 first has the same own mirror reflected but this f12012 dont. What i found is the mirror image of these mods is the same of the central virtual mirror but splited (btw, i dont think virtual mirror should not reclect myself but it does). So, if you know which parameters control virtual mirror distance to reflect only after cars mirrors, changing that will do the same in "real" mirror. Sorry my english. This one is harder to understand than usual ahah :p

365960_20180901000953_1.png 365960_20180901001136_1.png

edit: and i dont think na f1 driver is able to see his own helmet reflected on mirrors. And i think im seeing too much car parts also. Later i will check automobilista self in mirror (as i remember it Works well)

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

ahhh... Now i understand this part of your message. Ypu are talking abou json parameter i did changes. Nice! Will try soon, thanks

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Louis I tried this with a few cars with very mixed and generally not satisfactory results. I noticed the skip also had the mirrors GMT in the cockpit instance, so I ended up trying "cockpit,mirrors" for that parameter. It sort of worked for the skip, but it started doing strange things with others...

Louis likes this.
  18. Adam Helyes

Adam Helyes Registered

Undortunately i dont have three pedals. I use a button :( At the start the car almost down, when i release the button.
    Is there any setting to release the clutch slowly?

thx

19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

If you are curious about self in rearview for the tintops, check Stock Car Resurrection, that mod got it right according to the forum posts. The best example I witnessed is F12013 (FISI fork). Really hope S397 starts to update their content for this amazing feature that engine supports already.

MoparBob and Louis like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@helyesadi in your controller.JSON:

"Keyboard Clutch":0.2,
    "Keyboard Clutch#":"rate for keyboard\/digital clutch input",

Lower values (like 0.1, or 0.05, etc) will slow down the clutch release.

*You can also tweak it a bit more by adjusting the sensitivity in the controls page, which will change the 'shape' of the clutch release.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Adam Helyes likes this.