Shadows ( DX9 and DX11)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Lino Carreira, May 11, 2017.

1. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Registered

One of the things i was really hopping to see improve is shadows, i dont quite understand how the graphical engine from rF2 can be ( With Vsync enabled ) at 45% super smooth with shadows on low ( Everything else is maxed, no reflections ofc thats another cancer) , triple screens at 5760x1080.. and as soon as you change from LOW to MEDIUM it jumps to 99% usage at the garage box in Portugal track.... how on earth in 2017 with an i7 4770K and a GTX1080 can this make such a difference ??

Other games i shall not name here i max everything up and get less then 50% usage 90% of the time.

For some people this might be a minor thing but Shadows give a huge boost on realism to the SIM, the difference of seeing a square underneath the other cars ( LOW ) and up ( Proper shadows) is monstrous in terms of immersion

PS: Ill reiterate, triples, no need to post here saying you have 10 million FPS with a 1070 on single screen... quite different beasts....

2. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Registered

Forgot to mention that DX11 has exactly the same issue ... at least it seems to be on par with DX9 in terms of smoothness after the last update enabled Full Screen and Vsync....

3. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

In my case shadows make also a hughe performance difference, therefore I need to set them to 'High' instead of 'Full'. That's a shame, because the undershadows in 'Full' make it look like the tyres actually touch the ground in every light condition.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Perhaps do a performance test and post in the bug reports forum?

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Registered

Performance tests have been focusing solely in the differences between DX9 and DX11... now that people are touching the graphical engine i was hoping someone would found some Bug that could explain this stupidly different performance hit from low to anything else....

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Low shadows is basically a little "blob" under the car that doesnt follow the sun. I had to use low shadows in DX9 to not have stutter around pits (triple 1080p). In DX11 last build (havent tested the new yet) i could put shadows on medium and it was nice to see shadows again, lol. But yes, shadows are very performance hungry in rF2 compared to other titles (even though im very happy S397 did good so far with DX11). Multiview and post processing also is rather heavy on triples but the devs are working hard atm so we will see in a bit how much they manage to optimize the sim.

BTW in DX9 before we ran with fullscreen (not multiview) and the triple screen app worked to setup the screens, however in DX11 without multiview that app doesnt work anymore (last i tested at least) and so i had to set it to multiview again to correct bezel and everything else. Since multiview take more performance i thought running in fullscreen to gain FPS was a good option, but since the triple screen app didnt work it was not an option.

It would be nice with more optimization on shadows, but its moving forward and its getting better and better so i will keep an eye on the development and see what they come up with. Im sure they know shadows are very performance hungry and maybe they will be able to squeeze more FPS out for us. :)

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If it's a bug needing squashed.... then is would need to be in the bug reports forum.

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I'd love to see side by side screenshots comparing all the options so that it is easier to decide what to pick :)