Shadow Groups

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Alexandr Meshkov, May 1, 2020.

1. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

I need help. Can't understand Track Creation Cheat Sheet section about shadow groups.

Can some one please write what all possible groups numbers and what it is mean? I thought that if I set group 8 it will be removed from low shadow settings and that's done but when I opened Joesville there was some objects with groups 12 and 14. How this works?

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It's just a guess, but i think that it works with the same scheme like other settings.
    As it's said in the line "Shadow Groups: additive A (1|Max) to D (8|Low)", it's an "additive".
    So you have 4 settings for max, high, med and low and the used numbers are 1, 2, 4, 8.
    So, for example the shadow group 14 is the addition of 2+4+8 for high+med+low.

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  4. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Ok. A some sort of confusion with shadow groups but seems I got it. GMT Exporter in 3ds max says that A is Low and D is Max. Track Creation Cheat Sheet probably had error. After some work with Vis Groups I have also wrong mind. With shadow group you include shadow to some shadow settings and with Vis Group you exclude instance from some detail settings.

As I understand most common groups to use are
    8 - Max only
    12 - High + Max
    14 - Medium + High + Max
    15 - Low + Medium + High + Max