shader help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by mechanic, Jan 6, 2022.

1. mechanic

mechanic Registered

Hi, I'm working on a mod. Physics are done, meshes ar done (imported from Solidworks) and I can drive the care in Devmode. This alone is already quite satisfying I must say!

I'm am however a total noob regarding 3dsmax, and I have some issues with the shaders.
    A placed the coreshaders.mas file in the 3dsmax hardware shaders folder, and downloaded the 3dsmax material library. I can apply materials and export, but in game the meshes are correctly visible but just matt white color

I restarted max a few times and now it says: missing shaders directory. If I open a material from the library, the shaders are missing indeed.

What should the shader directory be? Is there a tutorial explaining how to setup the plugins and their corresponding shader directories?

Any general tutorial or help on the use of shaders is very welcome.

Thanks!

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you use the material library to export, you'll need to open http://localhost:5396/materialeditor/index.html#/ or http://localhost:5397/materialeditor/index.html#/ in a browser to set everything up.

3. mechanic

mechanic Registered

Thanks Coutie!

These links are for the "new" material editor, right?
    I would like to try the old method first, seems easier. I tried to replicate what is written in the legacy documentation.

Is it important that the status in the 3ds max material editor is OK"?
    screenshot2.jpg

This is what I get in DevMode. Only added tyres, rims and bonnet to the.gen file.
    screenshot1.jpg

4. Coutie

I don't think it matters if it says ok or not. I don't know if I've ever seen it say something different.

5. mechanic

mechanic Registered

Thanks Coutie!
    I will check the tutorials again to see what I'm doing wrong.. probably something really stupid;)

6. Coutie

If you're trying to use the old method, you'll need to put your own files into the paths in the material, if you just use the preset material, it'll just look white.

7. mechanic

mechanic Registered

All working now! Can't replicate the issue, so don't know what I did wrong.

Car works with t1 shaders in ModDev and main game. Now I need to learn a bit on texturing, uvw unwrapping and other Max stuff.

Building a mod from scratch is quite a task, but doable and really, really satisfying if it works!