Setup screen largely overestimates fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by coasting&cruising, Oct 22, 2022.

1. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

I couldn't find a previous post on this issue, so I'm opening a new thread.

[​IMG]

In the car setup interface, the estimation of the number of laps for the given fuel amount is wrong, it largely overestimates fuel consumption. E.g. in LFM Alpine rookie races, one could put a full tank (60L), thinking it wouldn't even be enough for a sprint 20min race.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  2. atomed

atomed Member

I think that is a thing that has to be setup properly when making each track. In case it's not well done you have.to run a lap or two to get a per lap fuel consumption and then calculate how much you would need for.your race.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

IIRC the fuel consumption is writen in the AIW file and is fix. Then doesn't depend on the car.
    I don't know if it's possible to have different comsumptions for different cars, but in any case is imposible to have the consumptions of all Cars writen in the AIW.
    The consumptions should be calculated on the fly by rF2 taking in account the car data and track layout.

svictor, redapg and coasting&cruising like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, a base setting is in the AIW, and each car has its own fuel consumption figures (actually in the engine) so they scale as well. When done correctly the figures are fairly close. It's been like this since rF1. And also in rF1 many cars were waaaaaay off in their estimate, and many tracks were wrong too.

The idea of the game calculating it sounds good, but it'll never be totally accurate as you can't take optimal driving style into account, varying engine modes, fuel saving for strategy etc. When people talk about the estimate being double reality, I think that's because the parameters are set badly.

svictor, lagg and atomed like this.
  5. coasting&cruising

The thing is that in the in car HUD, the fuel consumption estimate is correct, and it is updated in realtime as you run laps. So the setup UI could just use the same values used by the in car HUD (wherever they are sourced from).

Lazza likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's a useful clarification. The rest of us are arguing about the proper estimate rather than a UI issue :p

7. coasting&cruising

Are you trolling again?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Again? Really?

No, I misread and misunderstood what you meant. It's Sunday, I got confused, so shoot me.

The estimate is calculated as discussed above. It couldn't use figures from your driving before you've driven any laps, any estimate of how much you'll use when you drive won't be totally accurate, and any changes to how you drive can't be accounted for either. Very inaccurate estimates are a content issue.

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@coasting&cruising This Miscalculation in the Menu exists since rFactor 1 and i have the Suspicion that the AIW Fuel Consumption is the Problem, because it doesn't make Sense at all, because, as also @lagg has written already, the same AIW Value can not match for a Fiat 500 and a Formula 1 Car at the same Time, for Example.
    But i think that it gets calculated with the Fuel Consumption Value from the Cars Engine File and also the AIW Value for the "Consumption Forecast" Value per Lap, in the Menu.
    For rFactor 1, there was a 3rd Party Plugin called XD-Tool, that calculated the expected Fuel Consumption per Lap much more precise.

svictor and lagg like this.
  10. lagg

lagg Registered

A plugin can do this taking in account your last lap consumption or your average consumption. TinyPedal from @svictor does it

svictor likes this.