Setting up WCRIM

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Traveller, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Traveller

Traveller Member

I'm trying to get the wildcard rim material to work in developer mode. For test purposes, I've created two materials for rims-- WCRIM and WCRIMS. I've created the custom rim DDS and placed it in the team folder. Following the naming convention, I've named the DDS "testcar_13RIM.dds", "testcar_13RIMS.dds", "testcar_13_RIM.dds", and "testcar_13_RIMS.dds" at various times. None have worked. The WCCARBODY wildcard material works fine, though. I've matched the various flags for the rim GMT's to those of the car body. Is there something I'm missing or...? Is there a specific shader for the rims? In the attached screenshot, the rear rim is WCRIM and the front is WCRIMS. If all is well, one of them should be gold. Any ideas?
    GRAB_019.JPG

smbrm likes this.
  2. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

wilcard wcrims, texture testcar_13rim.dds

3. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Use another wildcard, like wcextra1 or 2 something like that. I tried few times the wcrim but it doesn't work for me like in rF1, that's why I use the wcextra1 etc wildcard.

4. Traveller

Traveller Member

That was the answer Tommy78. Mystery solved. Now back to work.

5. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

So the word "extra" was right?! I'm going to re-look at some of the mods, maybe I didn't open the right dds file. But GREAT to know you found the answer Traveller! Makes me wonder just how close you may be from releasing the Importer/Exporter for rF1/rF2 in Blender.

Scott

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

WCRIMS do work, you have to specify it in .VEH file. But I guess EXTRA works fine as well.

7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I've got it working for a car I've been working on, I didn't need to set up the rims in the veh files. Using material name WCrims with Bump Map T1 shader. Just add RIMS onto the end of your regular car's skin, ie, CAR_23.dds and CAR_23RIMS.dds.

8. Traveller

Traveller Member

Do you have a sample VEH I can look at to see how to get them to work, or the line to use in the VEH?

9. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

This was taken from a rf1 VEH, either 996GT3_w12_49extra0.dds or 996GT3_w12_49dashplaque.dds would work. Generally as 996GT3_w12_49extra#.dds or 996GT3_w12_49*.dds

I believe for the custom wildcard names the actual material as defined in the 3d program should be named as an WCEXTRA#, if that makes sense.

10. Traveller

Traveller Member

The best I could get with the lines in the VEH file was to find out that "Extra0" is tied to WCCARBODY. Anyway, making the material WCEXTRA1 in the GMT works.

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I use WCRIMS material name and then I define in the VEH file "rims=" similar way as "extra0=" etc. The texture is then named as VEH file with RIMS appendix. Like AnycarRIMS.dds when there is Anycar.veh.

Don't know what of this is necessary, but this works.

12. Prairie

Prairie Registered

I haven't modded for rFactor 1 or 2 texture assignments yet. But in previous ISI games the wildcard textures were coded into the executable file so that only certain textures could be assigned a wildcard textures.

It could very well be the case that ISI has expanded the wildcard texture feature to allow for the assigning of wildcard textures in the VEH file. But in any case, here's an extract from a VEH file for a mod I'd worked on in the past, and how the wildcard material assignments could be used to assign different liveries/textures for each track/race. This was intended to assign, for example, 20 alternate and race specific liveries without physically assigning new material names to different meshes for each different race... mainly to reflect different track (race) specific sponsors, uniforms, helmets, etc. The liveries/textures were used depending on the name of the track/race.

DefaultLivery="Alboreto90A"
    PitCrewLivery="Arrows90A"
    TrackLivery="Phoenix Street, Alboreto90c" //Round One uses texture Alboreto90CCARBODY.bmp
    TrackLivery="Interlagos, Alboreto90c" //Round Two uses texture Alboreto90CCARBODY.bmp
    //TrackLivery="Imola, Alboreto90a" //Round Three uses texture Alboreto90ACARBODY.bmp
    TrackLivery="Monte Carlo, Alboreto90b" //Round Four uses texture Alboreto90BCARBODY.bmp... and so on
    TrackLivery="Gilles Villeneuve, Alboreto90a" //Round Five
    TrackLivery="Hermanos Rodriguez, Alboreto90a" //Round Six
    TrackLivery="Paul Ricard, Alboreto90a" //Round Seven
    TrackLivery="Silverstone, Alboreto90b" //Round Eight
    TrackLivery="Hockenheim, Alboreto90b" //Round Nine
    //TrackLivery="Hungaroring, Alboreto90a" //Round Ten
    TrackLivery="Spa Francorchamps, Alboreto90a" //Round Eleven
    TrackLivery="Monza, Alboreto90b" //Round Twelve
    TrackLivery="Estoril, Alboreto90a" //Round Thirteen
    TrackLivery="Jerez, Alboreto90a" //Round Fourteen
    TrackLivery="Suzuka, Alboreto90b" //Round Fifteen
    //TrackLivery="Adelaide Street, Alboreto90b" //Round Sixteen

The only wildcard assignments that the pre-rFactor series game I worked with used were:
    WCREFUELER (refueler's uniform),
    WCLOLLIPOP (lollipop holder's uniform),
    WCPITHELMET (pit crew's helmets),
    WCHELMET (driver's helmet),
    WCWING (front & rear wing texture/livery),
    WCARMS (driver's animated arms),
    WCDRIVER (driver's uniform),
    WCCARBODY (car's livery).

A default livery would normally be named for the WCCARBODY texture alone, as shown above. The other wildcard materials would usually default to what ever texture was in the team's directory; however, you could specify track/race specific textures for each of the wildcard materials.

I believe these are wildcard materials in rFactor 2:
    WCSPINNER, WCRIMS, WCWINDOWSOUT, WCWINDOWSIN, WCWINDSHIELDOUT, WCWING, WCARMS, WCDRIVER, WCSWHEEL, WCLOLLIPOP, WCPITHELMET, WCPITBODY, WCHELMET, WCREFUELER, WCEXTRA0, WCEXTRA1, WCEXTRA2, WCEXTRA3, WCEXTRA4, WCEXTRA5, WCEXTRA6, WCEXTRA7, WCEXTRA8, WCEXTRA9.

The VEH file just tells rFactor which track specific texture to use for which race. Also, you'll notice that at the beginning of the VEH file posted by lordpantsington it names a default livery. So, in lordpantsington's example, rFactor will automatically look for all the textures beginning with 996GT3_w12_49... such as: 996GT3_w12_49helmet.dds, 996GT3_w12_49lollipop.dds, 996GT3_w12_49arms.dds, 996GT3_w12_49extra0.dds and so on. Provided you haven't specified any track specific textures for the wildcard materials to use for a specific race.

In my example I used a driver's name "Alboreto", the year he raced "90" and the track specific livery "A', "B", "C" etc. Thus the ALBORETO90A. And the same would hold true for any wildcard texture file that has the ALBORETO90A, or ALBORETO90B, or ALBORETO90C in place of the material's WC (wildcard) placeholder. It's really helpful that they've added the WCEXTRA# wildcard materials in addition to the old ones.

This is just speculation... but since, in the lardpantsington's sample VEH, that the extra0, extra1, extra3 and extra4 materials were assigned their own textures, I don't know how this would effect their use as wildcard materials, or if this would even effect them??? Because, without those specific texture assignments, that particular VEH file would have otherwise instructed rFactor to look for 996GT3_w12_49extra0.dds, 996GT3_w12_49extra1.dds, 996GT3_w12_49extra3.dds and 996GT3_w12_49extra4.dds for the respective WCEXTRA material assignments.

I hope that isn't too confusing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  13. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

14. Prairie

Prairie Registered

Thanks lordpantsington. Just one thing to clarify.

This is the final sentence of the third last paragraph of my previous post. It needs to be corrected and I can't figure out how to go back and edit a previous post.

This sentence isn't correct. What I should have said was "Provided you haven't assigned a specific texture to a particular wildcard material, which would break the functioning of a "wildcard" material. Thus even if you'd try to assign track/race specific textures in the VEH it wouldn't work. The assignment of a single, specific texture would override any attempted track specific re-assignments. But seeing what was done in the VEH posted by lordpantington I'm not 100% on this, so in that case it would require testing.

However, in the past, the only way to break the wildcard, track specific, VEH re-assignments was to assign, and name, a specific texture to the material name through your 3D editing program. For example, assigning MYSPECIFICCARBODY.DDS to the material name WCCARBODY in the 3D modeling program instead of creating your texture and then renaming it WCCARBODY.DDS for modeling purposes only. Then using the proper texture in-game. Which in this case MYSPECIFICCARBODY.DDS. So, I think you should always use the wildcard names when assigning the texture to a material in your modeling program, as well as when exporting for use in game. The mesh should always be looking for WCCARBODY.DDS so as to allow the VEH file to then instruct the game what wildcard "WC" prefix/placeholder it should use after that.

Oops, the edit post button reappeared after I logged in :rolleyes:.

15. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Hi all.
    A old thread I know but relevant.
    I've been working on a car mod and have been setting up the wildcard textures. All are working find. I have windows. Rims, inside banner, driver and livery of cause.
    The trouble I'm having is the driver helmet. For some reason this isn't working.

I've WCHELMET as material name. Didn't work.
    Tried EXTRA4 and added the entry in the veh ini reading EXTRA4="Helmet" Still no joy.
    When using WCHELMET I removed the entry in the veh ini. I've leaned from experience that having the entry in the veh stops the latter from working.

I have tried a good number of times with this. I have all the other items working just fine, It's just the helmet that refuses to work correctly.
    Has anyone had a similar issue? And has anyone got a work around?

Thanks guy's.

16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are you naming the file correctly when you save it? That's all that I can think of.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

17. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yeah. That would be the most obvious thing I agree. I've been over it a number of times to be sure this wasn't the case. When I've saved the GMT in SimEd I close, and reopen it just to be 100% sure the change has taken affect.

I am also having trouble with the Headphysics. The helmet is all over the place in the car. Well probably a over statement but it's movement is way off what it should be.
    Changes to the physics ini don't seam to make any difference either.

Maybe it's the Helmet GMT itself broken in some way. It is a rFactor1 convert.

18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

19. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I wasn't able to produce a affect on the head physics with the helmet I was using. Nothing I did would work on it.
    So I've change the helmet GMT with another one, This has fixed both the issues I was having.

Thanks for your help. Things are moving forward now.