Sense of Speed - Renault Megane Trophy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkmater, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

Not sure if its just me, but it really feels like the sense of speed is really well captured in the historic races, but when I am in the Renault Megane Trophy car and tracks and I tend to over drive corners etc, because it looks like I am doing 30mph but really I am doing 60-70mph.

I find this makes it quite hard for me to race, and I lose control a great deal. I don't seem to do this in the historic race cars as much, because I feel like the sense of speed is quite well matched to the speed the vehicle is actually traveling.

So, is it just me or do others feel that the Renault Megane Trophy car's sense of speed when driving seems half pace.

Thanks,

Also is this car a RWD, because if its FWD its horrendously done?

2. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Its RWD... I hope! LOL!

If you race in the cockpit view then the sense of speed isn't as noticeable as the open wheel cars were you aren't sitting inside a bubble. Just keep driving it and you will adjust to it.

3. D34N0

D34N0 Registered

FOV can affect your sense of speed too. Try adjusting the FOV setting and see if that helps you.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

+1

5. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

My FOV is default do I want it to be bigger? Is there a reference for it?

6. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

The bigger the number the "wider" the Field of View. I run a FOV number of around 45-50. Quite narrow but it allows me to gauge the depth into the corners better, with a wider FOV(Higher number) you will see more but the perspective is distorted. There is a lot of debate about the proper use of FOV, but use what feels best for you.

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

FOV

A higher FOV makes it feel like you are moving faster as you can see objects to the side of you more.

I like to run at 60 and then move the in car seat forwards this way you get something that's reasonably close to human eyes ( all be it seeing far less)

The FOV that works for you will depend on personal prefrence screen size and the rezolution you run the game at.

In terms of Raw car control a lower FOV can make the car movement more visible and a higher fov will start to make you feel more and more dislocated from the car and its movement on the road.

But as others have said allot of it is down to personal preference.

Out side of FOV head vibration can help you gage speed as the faster you go the more it vibrates however this can be off-putting for many people and it can make it harder to detect small car movements.

8. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

For years I used a high FOV in my sim games. About a year or so ago, I narrowed it to 60, then to 50, then to 45. Since I only use one screen(24" LCD 1920 x 1200 res) I didn't dare go any lower. I like the narrower FOV I use now but the distinct drawback is lack of situational awareness while racing. With my FOV the side mirrors are out of my view.