Semitransparency/translucency

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Guineapiggy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Is there any way to set a material semitransparent/translucent? What shader would I have to use to combine cube, bump and color maps with transparency and how do I set it? Is it controlled by a specific alpha layer?

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I'd be curious about that as well, because I thought I saw in a relatively early screenshot that the awning on the grandstands in Malaysia seemed to be translucent. If you can have a map that controls the transmission color, it would be interesting to use this with foliage as well.

Here are the screenshots I was thinking of--you can clearly see the scaffolding through the awning, and the translucent 'glow'.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  3. ethone

ethone Registered

Do you mean like just having a material 50% transparent?
    Can't you just do that with alpha transparency where you set the material's blend options to InvSrcAlpha/SrcAlpha and use a 50% grey alpha channel in the texture?

4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I'll give that a try and report on my findings, thanks.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Nope, just makes the object invisible.

6. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Set the material options to SrcAlpha/InvSrcAlpha, with the 50%-75% grey alpha channel in the texure.

7. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Ethone's method should work. This is one example where you HAVE to use alpha transparency and can't consider chroma. I'm guessing there is no alpha channel present (or white). That would explain it disappearing when you use an Inv Src Alpha/Src Alpha Source/Dest blend. I would use Src Alpha/Inv Src Alpha instead, but that's just personal preference in most cases.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Oddly the latter works but the former doesn't. It does have the undesirable result, however, of making the object exceptionally pale, though that can be tweaked I guess.

9. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Hmm, I've noticed that paleness too recently, and opted for Inv Src Alpha/Src Alpha without thinking at the time. Thanks for sharing that bit of info :) .