Searching for the author of Zandvoort 2020 circuit | Permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cristian Luis, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Cristian Luis

Cristian Luis Registered

Hello everyone.

Let me present to you: my name is Cristian Luis, I am 27 years old and I am from Algeciras, Spain.

Months ago, I asked Mr. Offermans to convert the Zandvoort circuit for F1 Challenge '99-'02. Concretely the 2020 version. I have no commercial/money purposes. I am just an F1 Challenge '99-'02 player since 2007 and through time, I mastered many aspects of the game in modding. I would like to have a Zandvoort circuit and release it someday (a much lower quality version in the number of polygons, objects, and much lower resolution textures to deter other conversions and make it much more FPS friendly).

Mr. Offermans told me that the Zandvoort circuit was developed by another person (I guess is not from Studio397 directly), so I need to ask him for that permission.

Who is the author, exactly? Does anyone know? Do you know where I could find him?

I asked Mr. Offermans and Mr. Elliot about who is but I haven't received an answer.

I have the track currently converted for private use. But I need full permission first to release it. I am honest about the subject. Since that permission has not been denied, I'm still asking. If permission is denied, the matter will be closed and I will not publish the circuit.

Another question I would like to do to the rFactor2 community is: is OK for you if I release a very limited and inferior version of the circuit for F1C? I ask out of curiosity. As far as I know, Zandvoort is a free circuit in rF2.

Kind regards,

Cristian.

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Not sure but I think Richard Hessels from SRW may be able to point you in the right direction.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

S397 has no connection, as a company, to F1C. F12C was produced by ISI and the two companies have no interaction regarding content. The rF2 community of users may have used F1C but have long ago moved on, so we as a group have no standing in releasing anything for F1C. But Zandvoort WAS created or purchased by S397. You are correct in asking for permission, and the lack of response in no way implies permission. Keep asking, part of the licensing agreement between the Zandvoort owners and S397 may prevent ANY cross-sharing, even with an old title like F1c.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

5. Cristian Luis

Cristian Luis Registered

Thank you, everyone!

I am going to ask him in RaceDepartment.

I had a small chat with Offermans months ago. He revealed to me some details about the circuit, which I haven't shared here. I see you know one of them: it was done by an external modder. He told me that, but I didn't get information about who created the circuit. Permission wasn't received, but not denied. So I keep asking here.

This will be my next step: I will inform Mr. Hessels about my purpose of using the Zandvoort circuit in F1C, some details of my chat with Studio397's CEO. If I got permission, I will confirm that here and tell Mr. Offermans I received permission. But I think I need his confirmation to use it, so I will ask once more.

Cheers!

Cristian.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    davehenrie likes this.
  6. Cristian Luis

Cristian Luis Registered

Hello again.

To make it short, Mr. Hessels told me that he cannot give me permission because the Zandvoort track is a property owned by Studio397.

Apparently, this makes things over. But there is a detail. Mr. Offermans told me in a conversation that I need to ask permission from the modder who created the circuit first. But he is not in the position due to content rights. This leaves me to go back to ask Studio397 again since they didn't say me "no".

In short, I asked Mr. Hessels because I was redirected by the CEO of S397 (outsourced modder; need to ask permission to him first). Then by his answer, I have to ask him again. I will do it soon. Perhaps the creator of Zandvoort wants to tell me something more.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I can bet you, it's going to be a no. Licensing is a thing

8. Cristian Luis

Cristian Luis Registered

Perhaps, but at least I have to try. Especially when is non-profit, the circuit will have a much lower quality (to deter leeching) and is for a sim in abandonware status (F1C).

It would be very easy for me to make the track almost unrecognizable, use renomear tudo to rename all the objects by a couple of clicks, play with SublimeText and its regular functions for the SCNs, create a new cam file (thanks to Mark), reduce all 3d objects in polygon cruncher, change textures and name materials here and there, and not telling anything to anyone about the origins of the circuit. But I prefer to pick the honest path, even if that implies a "no" for release it.

When I asked Mr. Offermans, his answer wasn't a no. He told me to ask for permission first from the author of the circuit. He cannot give me permission because S397 holds the rights. So, I am asking S397 again while I'm getting the track ready and suited to F1C (for public or private use depending on their answer). Hope I get it soon since is a difficult track to work with (even in the case of only private use).

Hope I can receive an answer. I prefer to receive a "no" that not being answered. :)

Their "yes" guarantees that the circuit will be released to F1C and never leeched for other sims since the quality I put to the new track is too low (just the minimum standard for F1C). If they say "no", the track will not see the light in F1C and I have to search for another author and help to make the pit barriers and the ovals. However, I will keep S397's Zandvoort for personal use.

Edit: I am getting it!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021