WIP Screen Resolution not locking/changing

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ken Jagger, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

For some time now (12-24 months) my ingame GFX resolution reports as 2560x1080 @ 24Hz despite both setting it to 2560x1440 @ 60Hz (default Windows monitor settings on 32" 2K screen) with the rFconfig program and/or changing it ingame. After changing it ingame, whenever I go back into the GFX setting page it has reset to 2560x1080 @24Hz.

ingame settings.jpg

ingame settings 2.jpg

rFconfig settings.jpg

I'm not sure if it is just reporting it wrongly or if it is actually setting it wrongly??

Can anybody suggest a fix?

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Looks like you are starting the config directly from the bin64 folder which doesn’t work correctly, ie see where it’s trying to save the ini file…folder doesn’t exist. Use the the play button from steam and select the config, or if you want to use a desktop shortcut, edit the “start in” box and remove \bin64 bit

Lazza likes this.
  3. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Yes, I've had this problem for over a year as well. I sent copious documentation of the problem to Paul Jeffrey and we corresponded about it for some time, but it never got fixed. In my case, I have an uncommon 1920x1200 monitor running at 60Hz. The in-game UI always reports this back as 1920x1080 at 50Hz. If I try and change it in the in-game UI, it completely screws up everything, so I have to go back out to the Config program to reset it. Bloody frustrating that after every path/build, it also sets the output to Auto rather than leaving it set to the actual graphics card, as well. If I set to 1920x1200 in the Config program, this displays the game in that resolution, but the UI displays in 1920x1080 and this there are gaps at the top and bottom of the screen (the replay top bar and bottom bar are not locked at the edges of the display in other words). I think the in-game Ui is coded to scale only to certain pre-defined resolutions.

Ken Jagger likes this.
  4. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

The rfconfig.exe file is in the Bin64 folder by default, so I imagine S397 intended it to be run from there. However after running it creates the Config_DX11.ini file correctly in the \UserData folder or overwrites it if you change any of the config settings. Running it from Steam still updates the config file but does not show correctly in the ingame GFX settings. It still reads 2560x1080 for any of the three modes i.e. Fullscreen, Windowed or Borderless but like burgesjl above I suspect it's the menu which is wrong and the sim itself runs in 2560x1440 in my case.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your screenshot shows the config program pointing to the wrong folder. From running it directly. Not all exe files are designed to run with the working folder set to their own location.

Should the config, dedi, etc exe files be able to work out what working folder is correct, at least when it's one level up? Probably, but it hasn't happened in 17 years, so...

Goanna likes this.
  6. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

So I'm not sure what you are suggesting? S397 have got it wrong and as a user we are supposed to notice they have got it wrong and adjust accordingly?

FYI I created a new desktop shortcut as suggested and edited the "start in" box as suggested and it doesn't make any difference.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

starting from Steam & running the graphic config from there does not help?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're supposed to click PLAY in steam (I'm capitalizing 'play' because that's how steam shows it; I'm not patronising you), which brings up a menu with 3 options. You click the second one, which opens the config.

Will doing that, and saving the settings, make the UI show your current setting correctly? I wouldn't bank on it. The (only) point I'm making is, that exe isn't meant to be run directly.

9. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

No it doesn't make any difference whether the rfconfig.exe is run from Steam or directly.

10. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

I'm aware of the Steam options and have run them on other occasions when required, ever since rF2 made it onto Steam, several years ago. It doesn't fix the problem I've identified. I'm interested in why you say "I wouldn't bank on it", care to elaborate?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3/4 of this thread has turned into debate over whether you're running the config properly. That doesn't mean there isn't an issue. That's all.

12. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

Ah OK, I wasn't sure if you knew of a problem with the Steam/rfconfig.exe not executing correctly.

13. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

if you run the exe directly by double clicking on it, it 100% will not work.
    Refresh rate not setting correctly of course is a different issue.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  14. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

Hi Alex and thanks for your comments. After deleting my Config_DX11.ini in rfactor2/userdata and running the rfconfig.exe directly, it creates a new Config_DX11.ini file as below, so I don't fully understand when you say it 100% will not work.

Attached Files:

15. Alex Sawczuk

lagg likes this.
  16. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

I created a desktop shortcut and amended the path to remove the Bin64, which is how I created the new file in my previous post. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

17. Alex Sawczuk

then yeah that should work correctly

Ken Jagger likes this.
  18. redapg

redapg Registered

@Ken Jagger I just tried it here, because i use a TV as Monitor and that is set to 60 Hz too and here it also shows 60 Hz in Game.
    Did you search your rF2 installation for Config_DX11.ini Files?
    You should only have 2 of them in these Folders:
    ...\rFactor 2\UserData
    ...\rFactor 2\ModDev\UserData

19. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

I hadn't, but I now have, and only have those two files in those locations. The main issue I have is that of rF2 reporting of 2560 x 1080 instead of my Windows desktop & rfconfig selection of 2560 x 1440.

20. redapg

redapg Registered

It really seems to be like @burgesjl has written above already, that your Setting doesn't match a Value in a predefined Range of Settings in Game.
    I hope that they have that close on the Top of their to do List and also that the correct Graphics Card gets selected automatically or at least the selected Card gets stored, that we don't have to set it each Time again, when the PC gets rebooted.
    The "funny" Thing is, that the config of rF1 is still doing that and it's a Shame that it was broken Years ago in rF2 and never fixed.

Ken Jagger likes this.