Screen Lock Ups

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Fred Bear, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Bee, I wanted to say that because of such sensitivity, rFactor is good at testing CPU stability (that's why other games might work well, but not rFactor). Maybe not the best way, but it's good :)

2. Fred Bear

Fred Bear Registered

Thanks for in info LesiU I think its more temp related as case fan was not working once replaced gpu temps dropped, am waiting on a vga specific cooling fan to see how much more it helps.

Thanks fred

3. Fred Bear

Fred Bear Registered

Screen Freeze

Have fixed my problem no more screen lock ups. Have purchased a case specific gpu cooler fan.

Thank for every ones help.

Fred

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to add to this, my system (getting a bit long in the tooth now) supports up to 1066 RAM, and I bought 1066 RAM for it (as you do). It mostly ran ok but seemed to have an occasional error, can't say anything popped out specifically with rFactor running, so pretty intermittent and not really an obvious problem anywhere. Ran Memtest86 for most of a day and no problems. Then I found the windows memory test tool (it was either in Vista or an early version of Win7) and much to my surprise it found a problem in about a minute. (I wouldn't consider this a reflection on Memtest, which I've used a number of times to test timing etc)

Backed the RAM off to about 1000 (998 or something) and the error disappeared. No more weird errors popping up occasionally. (and no, it wasn't cheap RAM or a generic brand... probably fair to say the board was at fault, but while it wasn't top-dollar it also wasn't a cheapie)

So while overclocking is obviously a potential problem, it's worth trying to run as many tests as you can even on stock settings. For rFactor specifically, I've found the 'black screens' have stopped recently (drivers perhaps), but there's still a tendency to have small pauses while driving - and like the black screens before it, rebooting before racing and avoiding alt-tab seems to minimise them.