Saitek FFB wheel crashes RF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Florian75, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Florian75

Florian75 Registered

Hello and thank you for this cool game.

It seems, there is a bsic problem with my force feedback wheel from Saitek.
    It is a Saitek R660 GT force feedback wheel.
    It runs with RFactor, but when i am starting a race in RF2, after 100% loading progress the app crashes.
    If I unplug the wheel, the race starts!

Unfortunately, I cannot see any error in the trace file, see attached.

I would really apreciate any help now, as I just can't play the game I have just bought.

Best regards
    Florian

Attached Files:

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, probably no good news unless another saitek owner can update, but here's a potential short term workaround and (unlikely) fix.

From searching on here it seems the combination of windows 10, 64-bit rF2 and the saitek wheel with FFB causes a crash.

So, a possible workaround might be to run rF2 in 32-bit via the launcher settings. Unfortunately 32bit support will very soon be dropped and it will limit which tracks you can run and how many cars, due to memory constraints.

Option 2 is to turn off FFB.

3: I've found a suggestion this may have happened around the same time as thrustmaster wheels stopped automatically adjusting rotation properly. In case it's somehow related to the game communicating with the drivers to set rotation, try disabling driver-based rotation in rF2 by following these steps: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....wheel-rotation-not-working.61750/#post-968519

That's all I can suggest for now.

Info/sources:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/saitek-r440-crashes-with-ffb-on.50873/
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/windows-10-lost-lock-to-lock.52091/ (only 1 post mentions saitek. It's a long shot)

3. Florian75

Florian75 Registered

Well.... I have a quite good PC and enabled all graphics to maximum. This means, memory is a basic need ;)
    Limiting this to 3 GB of RAM will potentially not work to my satisfaction :(

Is saitek so seldom? Damend, I have not expected this, as I bought it some time ago...
    But wheel without FFB is quite useless, the "feeling" for the road is missing.

So maybe I'll have to buy a new one... expensive game!

I will give 32 bit a try the next days, let's see....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Don't forget to try the 3rd option. It seems unlikely, but if it works it's your best option.

Please don't post in that other thread. Now you're in two threads.

5. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

Option 4. Treat yourself to a better wheel

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Oh. Ok. Must admit I'm not familiar with the wheel, and hadn't googled it to see what it was. If you do have a decent PC able to run rF2 with quite high settings and get decent framerates, definitely look into getting a new wheel. You won't get anywhere near what you could from rF2 with a wheel like that. A decent wheel isn't cheap, but neither is a decent PC :)

7. Florian75

Florian75 Registered

Well, let's say it like that: The FFB effects of the "outaged" wheel are quite good, so I can definetly differentiate for example different undergrounds and feel different curb profiles. So for the driving experience, it is a very usefull device.

And on the other hand: Why pay (so much) money, if I have soemthing, that is definetly working? I am no "professional" sim driver. In average, two or three times a year I get again a weekend fascinated by race sport games and enjoy that.

Well, maybe the 64 bit problem has now caught me...

PS:
    I just now tried 32 bit mode: In FFB mode, the wheel is "shaking" in neutral, no matter what I change in the settings. If I trun completely to left or right, it does not shake.
    Is this something, anyone else maybe had with a "modern" wheel? Can it be changed?