Safety car settings in player.json file, in particular, how to reduce their frequency

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by IceCreamKimi, Feb 26, 2015.

1. IceCreamKimi

IceCreamKimi Registered

I have been trying to do a few races with the Formula Renault 3.5 cars but I can't go two laps without a safety car being deployed.

I assume the settings for the safety car are in the player.json file (correct me if I'm wrong) but there are quite a few different settings with the safety car threshold. In particular,
    1) CHAMP Safety Car Thresh
    2) CURNT Safety Car Thresh
    3) GPRIX Safety Car Thresh
    4) MULTI Safety Car Thresh
    5) RPLAY Safety Car Thresh

Could someone please explain what each of these settings refers to in the game? Especially which threshold I need to change for a single player race against AI and how much it should be increased to reduce safety car deployment to maybe once per race.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not completely sure which one affects single player... I suspect GPRIX, but wouldn't rule out any of the first 3. Setting the (correct) parameter to a large value like 100 should pretty much entirely stop safety cars, so you can check which one it is by setting all of them to 100 and then trying one at 0.1. When you choose the correct one you'll get a safety car if you sit still at the beginning of a race... should only take a few seconds for it to be called. (so probably 3 mins to confirm which one of those values applies)

Judging from multiplayer races at various tracks, it can be difficult to get the value right, and it can vary track to track. Try doubling the existing value as a starting point.

3. IceCreamKimi

IceCreamKimi Registered

From playing around with the player.json file I've found that CHAMP Safety Car Thresh can't be changed, it will always go back to 1 after loading the game, doing a bit of a race and then exiting the game.

CURNT and GPRIX Safety Car Thresh values seem to be linked and are the ones governing the safety car deployment. Changing just one will result in the other being changed after a game session.

I'm not sure what the other two safety car thresh values do, I guess one is for multiplayer. However they had no impact on single player v AI

Now I just need to work out what a good value for GPRIX and CURNT should be.

Thanks for the assistance.

4. UlrichBlanke

UlrichBlanke Registered

Hi Ice,

for singleplayer-races against ai use the "GPRIX"-Lines.

The easiest way to avoid full-course-yellow (safetycar) simply search for:

"GPRIX Flag Rules":2
    "GPRIX Flag Rules#":"Level of rule enforcement, 0=none, 1=penalties only, 2=penalties & full-course yellows, 3=everything except DQs",

Change these to "1" :p

5. IceCreamKimi

IceCreamKimi Registered

Thanks for the info about using the GPRIX lines for the safety car. I'm tinkering with the threshold setting for best results.

I still want full course yellows when appropriate, just not on every second lap ;)

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I go with Threshold=2 what is most of the times enough.
    Go with 3 or higher if it´s totally chaos and crashes are too often/always.

7. UlrichBlanke

UlrichBlanke Registered

if you make a "vmod" you can adjust a lot of things for the "full-course-yellow" by editing the "rfm": good luck ;)

SafetyCarRoadMult=1.00 // Safety car threshold multipliers, in other words an adjustment for the sensitivity of the game to calling full-course cautions.
    SafetyCarOvalMult=0.60 // Lower numbers result in more full-course cautions; default=1.0, possible values are 0.01 (very sensitive) and up.

SpinRoadSeverity=0.00 // Whether full-course cautions may be called for a spin more than 90 degrees where the driver keeps going.
    SpinOvalSeverity=0.10 // Higher values will result in more full-course cautions due to these temporary spins; default=0.0, possible values are 0.0-2.0.

LuckyDog = 3 // Whether leading car one lap down can re-gain his lap during a full-course caution. Possible values are 0=off, 1=used at ovals only, 2=used at road courses only, 3=used everywhere.
    LuckyDogLapsLeft = 0 // How many laps must be left for lucky dog to take effect; default = 10, possible values are 0 (meaning it is always applicable) and up.
    MinimumYellowLaps = 2 // Minimum laps during a full-course yellow; default = 2, possible values are 1 (?) and up ... remember that it might be useful to override this one in some track GDBs.

RandomYellowLaps = 1 // Additional random yellow laps; default = 1, possible values are 0 and up.
    ClosePits = 0 // Whether pits are closed during the first part of the full-course yellow; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.
    PitsClosedLaps = 1 // How many laps the pits remain closed during the first part of the full-course yellow; default=1, possible/ values are 1 and up (probably needs to be less than MinimumYellowLaps, though)
    LeadYellowLaps = 2 // This is the threshold for the number of yellow flag laps to determine whether the lead-lappers get to pit before everyone else. Only valid if ClosePits is enabled; default=2, possible values are 0 (never let leaders pit first) and up.
    ClosedPitPenalty = 0 // Penalty given for getting served on a closed pitlane (meaning that the vehicle entered AFTER the pit was closed); default=2, possible values are 0=stop/go 1=drivethru 2=longest line.

PassingBeforeLineOval=0 // Whether passing is allowed on starts and restarts before the start/finish line; default=0, possible values are 1=passing on right is legal, 2=passing on left is legal, and 3=passing anywhere is legal.
    PassingBeforeLineRoad=0

FreezeOrder = 1 // Whether order of vehicles is frozen when the full-course yellow is first shown. If necessary, server will correct the order as people cross the start/finish line; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.

// Behavior if full-course yellow is active at the end of a race; default=0, possible values are 0=race finishes normally, 1=finish will be delayed one time only and will allow one lap after the green flag,
    // 2=finish will be delayed one time only and will allow two laps after the green flag, 3=finish can be delayed multiple times, with only one lap allowed after the green flag (not sure this option works as expected),
    // 4=finish can be delayed multiple times, with two laps needed after the green flag. Note that a full-course yellow called on the very last lap will NOT currently delay the finish. Also note that this feature does
    // not work for timed races.
    FinishUnderCaution = 0

CountCautionLaps = 0 // Whether caution laps are counted towards the total number of laps; default=0, possible values 0 or 1.

DoubleFileRestarts=0 // Whether restarts are double-file and how many laps left are required to do so; default=0, possible values are 0=off, 1+=laps left required to convert to double file.

8. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

You can also adjust formation / SaftyCar speed.

By default it's 160km/h at some tracks. That's a bit to fast for the clio's. :D and maybe a bit to slow at indy oval with the indycar.

Add this line into the rfm. file:

FormationSpeedKPH = 90 // SC speed.

Note: at some tracks these rfm override settings don't work. It's a lot of testing to get everything right.
    And keep in mind in multiplayer: real people are not AI. So sometimes it doesn't work like you've intended it.