Sadly I just cant stick up for and promote rFactor 2 anymore ... :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patton55, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emery

Emery Registered

Considering that the consoles had better graphics back in the early rF1 days (remember the "Why does rFactor look like a cartoon?" threads?), I'm surprised you're only now coming to this conclusion.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Paton55,

In all sincerety if you feel after some time something is lacking in your xbox experience it may be a sense of progression. I play Forza with my son and a game controller so it is hard to fully tell what the feel is like without a wheel but it is possible that it feels good and also enables some degree of skill progression. And if you do work on your skills and never reach a point to where you can identify infinite improvement opportunities based on your experience and the many options you have developed as you have developed your skills, then you may want to consider coming back to PC sim racing and I say that only because I know from personal experience that PC racing offers this and if console racing offers this then that is great.

The other thing I would strongly recommend is to get involve in a championship online league. I do not know if Forza has this ability or if there are leagues but leagues and championships contribute greatly to lasting enjoyment and sense of accomplishment (along with your continued skill and experience development).

Without all that context and progression I can see how graphics and be alluring and also I have nothing against graphics. But graphics and extrinsic immersion alone are not going to satisfy you for long.

Consider if I gave you a car and built you a track in your backyard. Assuming you don't kill yourself or damage the vehicle you will be bored after not long with some goal or purpose in your driving or progression in your skills or lowering your lap time, etc.

Sure you may get a rush for 20 min per day and they your body will get used to that rush after 20 minutes and you will go back out on a daily basis to get some g's much like a drug but won't last for long and then you will go on with the rest of your day.

But if you resolved to squeez every millisecond you could out of that track and tested and tweaked your setups and invited your friends over for competition and created a series and tracked your career statistics, etc. etc. you could have hours and hours of enjoyment on that track every day for the rest of your life and PC sim racing is just like that because of progression and context and meaning. If Forza is like that + graphics then go for it.

Last thing I think of is I would wonder if the level of skill will be there with your competitors and/or if there will be more crashers, etc. simply because of the graphics lure and if graphics were not good then the people that would be there would by definition be there for other reasons like knowing how to drive and progression, etc., etc. etc.

Best of luck :)

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The comparison is unfair!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mh, very interesting Tosch!
    Now we can guess or bet which one is which game! ;)

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Forza 5 is blurrier. ;)

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Posting in trollthread

8. MaxRotax25.2

MaxRotax25.2 Registered

It still makes me sad that some people get '' wow'ed '' over by graphics, and overlook other important aspects of any game(s) or simulations, speaking generally. I personally would favor physics over graphics in a racing game, than the other way around.

I admit and agree that rF2 isn't <insertothertitleshere> graphics wise [atm] ... but right now, I'm happy with what I've got, sure it could be better, and I believe it will get better. :)

I don't see why we can't have both, sims and arcades?
    Sure, if I'm not in the mood for sims, I'll play Grid 2 or .. something, then switch back over.

EDIT;

Beautiful Tosch, always love seeing your amazing pics.

9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Apples and Oranges. Each good in a different way.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes and no. I may love apples and hate oranges.

For me, I never liked fruit (racing sims) really having tried a great many different types in the past until someone showed me a video of a mango (rf2) and I decided to try one and was instantly and completely taken by surprise...that enjoyment each time I eat into it is as strong as the very first bite. I'm still disinterest in other fruits but not the mango. :p

(FYI, with analogy off, I almost like all fruits really.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I thought the Mac P1 was utterly terrible, in fact I think every car in Forza is terrible compared to PC racing sims like rF2, GSC, etc. If you think the vehicle dynamics/reactions/behavior of any car in Forza is a simulation, let alone comparable to even rFactor 1, then I don't even know what else to say.

Also, the Forza one does look better in terms of natural lighting, but everything also looks soft, low resolution, DOF and motion blur causing tons of blur, it looks like a really nice "fake CGI" image, where rFactor 2 looks much more raw, sharp, un-fake blurred from DOF and motion blur.

I prefer worse graphics but in a realistic, raw, sharp style, over prettier , and dare I say more childish graphics in a Disney movie CGI film type of look.

Honestly though, when driving and concentrating like hell for an entire week of practice just to find a tenth or 2 of a second, well, Forza 5 graphics or rFactor 1 graphics wouldn't make a difference to my satisfaction and enjoyment to the pure driving pleasure that PC sims offer. It's all just a bonus to me. If the graphics detract you so much then maybe you don't like sims / the art of racecar driving as much as you think, because rFactor 2 would be just as amazing if it even had rFactor 1 graphics. Seriously, I don't even hardly notice rFactor 1 graphics, rFactor 2 graphics, or AC graphics when racing, it's all about the job at hand, which is to race the car, feel the limits, the slip, try to analyse in your mind what setup changes you can make, why/where you are loosing time, changing your technique for a corner so slightly that an observer wouldn't even notice, and on, and on, and on. Graphics wouldn't change any of that. Sure maybe for 3 seconds on the odd straightaway it is nice to look and appreciate the graphics. Really, the only time the graphics actually make a big difference is when you aren't even playing the game/driving, but just watching replays. But even in replays, I feel that the physics-graphics (how the motion/animation/physics of physical objects look as they are acting/reacting/moving) is much more important than the "take a picture" type graphics like reflections, shadows, etc. This is why, I feel, that Live For Speed still looks so amazing to watch to this day in replays, because the physics/car movements look so detailed and natural when watching the car from a trackside/TV style camera. Sadly this area is where most videogames, not just racing sims, are severely lacking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I find it funny that every time when someone made a thread here in this forum that declares
    that he/she leaves rF2 in favor to another sim/game (because of silly reasons),
    that this ended in a 5 pages long thread and the OP anyway never ever come back to read all this!! LOOOOLL!!!
    :rolleyes:;)

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, this discussion is pointless, as even though it's not actually an issue with rF2 that is to do with the build itself, he says he is not coming back, discussion over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.