S397 and Funding rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Depco, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

"S397 needs to make purchasing rF2 content inexpensive and compelling enough for new drivers to join rF2 w/o spending massive amounts of money; all while funding new content development."

I think this is exactly what S397 is doing already.

No subscription and on top of the base content I buy the extra content that I want. I haven't purchased FE stuff or Kartsim because I don't want it.

Everybody will have different ideas what they think value for money is. If I don't think I will get value I will generally not purchase. This may be very country dependant. I'm in the UK. If you compare computer games costs with other leisure/social activities in the UK against the hours of enjoyment I'm pretty sure computer games come out well. I'd like to try iRacing but I don't like subscription models and I don't think I would get the value. So I don't play it. It never occurred to me that I should go and complain about it. :confused:

If S397 have priced there products so high that they will not generate revenue then they will either reduce the price or go out of business. I'm pretty sure what they have done is priced in accordance with their business model and the market as a whole.

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I understand the OP about the money, 9 euros are harder to pay in Portugal than it is in USA or in northerd Europe, where salaries are quite high, most of time 3x or 4x higher...

Now the realistic point of the price...

People, no matter the country usually complaint about the price but at the same time and in most cases they have bought all kind of games/sims, they bought AC with all DLC's, probably most had contact with iRacing (even 3 months for 15€), Codemasters F1 series, R3E with some content, pCars1/2 and probably some more arcade games for consoles/PC. Just think in the amount of money they've spent on all those titles. Now do you really think 56€ is too much for probably the best SIM experience? Some people don't even understand rFactor2, but one thing is true, it's the best simulator we common mortals have access to. I like other titles, i have lots of content on R3E and bought all DLC's for AC... Now if you ask me if 9€ is too much for a track, maybe i agree, but don't forget that when you're buying that specific DLC that you'll be enjoying, you'll be also helping Studio397 to keep developing the software. Just think that they'll also be giving free content with time and you have to pay no fee or subscription to use what you bought ;)

takethree, Levelup1, MaD_King and 4 others like this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

One aspect that no one has acknowledged: desirable content will shift with time. When rF2 began, GT3 was just a minor concept and now it is merging into GTE. The LMPs have undergone major changes, expanding categories and now contracting again. F1 has had about 3 formats since 2012? FormulaTwo went bankrupt. The original Spec Miata became eligible for historic racing a few years ago.

So the existing content will "wear out" and new players will want the current fashion. Tracks will be repaved, redesigned, and cars will bring new technology. S397 will need to keep up on top of those trends. That also means the base game will need to change occasionally to keep up with the trends... it's already behind by not supporting hybrid powertrains. There are even opportunities to pull ahead of competitors by modeling Torsen differentials and power steering. And then there's the whole rabbit hole of historic racecars with its host of issues like lack of data and licensing.

rF2's customer base is aging and definitely has different tastes than the younger customers. So balancing content creation with technology updates, all the while attempting to turn a profit without pissing off the customer base is not an easy task.

Levelup1 and patchedupdemon like this.
  4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

They've released the Formula E, imo that was a good step from them. Personally i don't like it, i'm more old school, but seems like it has a good chance to succeed because it is starting to get some serious attention and reputation...

patchedupdemon and Emery like this.
  5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

And hopefully it’s the stepping stone to hybrid systems

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. Bart S

Bart S Member

S397 heres my account details => IB1987654321 feel free to take what you need for laser scanned tracks like nordschleife hint.
    Please no no no to any subscription service crap. Buying a new track is fine IMO, your getting some quality content built by an expert optimised to work on many different hardware configurations that is dynamic to rubber build up, weather conditions and day night cycles with lighting and reflection. Its not as expensive as like buying a new game, its a new environment that you will sit in for countless hours and I think you get your moneys worth in 3-4 hrs.

When I go to the cinema and watch a 3D movie I pay pretty much the price of a new game, when I leave I am left with a memory and an empty pocket with a sad feeling like some ones had a good time with the back of my torso while I was tied up and a bag held over my head. If you enjoy that experience and want to see that 2hr film again you have to pay the same again, you dont keep it, you dont own it.

Your forgetting to add all the other stuff it cost to start sim racing, my rig approx £2000, GTX1080 cost £620 OMG, oculus £500, sim cockpit £300, wheel £200, seat £300 need I go on... OK

Yet you make out like the cost of a quality track or 5 will make me seriously rethink my choice about sim racing.
    I don't mean any of what I say to come out in a hateful way just want to point out, many of us see things in a different way and are willing to pay to get the best most accurate content that we get keep and feed the eco system of more great content faster.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Someone on RD said "if Sebring cost 5$ EVERYONE would buy it and rF2 would be super popular and MP would be filled".

lol :D

I think these people never opened a 3D software in their lives and i dont think any of them ever owned a company or were employed because it seems they think no one should be paid. "But AC has cheaper DLC's". Yes and they were also more popular when they sold their first DLC so they had a good risk/reward projection. At the end of the day Sebring is 10€ where i am... I blow that on ice cream and a red bull during a short break from work and those two are downed and pissed out within the same day.