S397 AI Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philip00, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Corgan

Corgan Registered

Believe me, it's not negative. Just painfully realistic. I'm enjoying the game for what it is, but I think this "be patient, we're on it, and don't ask a f****g thing about when it will happen" thing is kind of boring after all these years. How many more years will they chant this mantra? Every time I read it I'm like: o.k. , then do it at last! You know, it's simply passive-aggressive behaviour.

2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I mean you're proving my point that only fixes will make it better, and until we have them there's little point in us discussing further. So please tone down the rhetoric.

Emery, AMillward and jayarrbee36 like this.
  3. Corgan

Corgan Registered

Exactly. So fix it. And please stop telling me off. I am your customer.

4. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hey @Alex Sawczuk , when you guys has some time could you check the point which is on the opening posts as well?

I am very happy that we having some discussion and that there is agenda for AI.

Please ignore the rude behavior it's not representing us real fans, and we are deferring yhis kind of behavior.

We are truly appreciate it that you guys are working on the AI.

jordan3878, DJCruicky and Corgan like this.
  5. Pales

Pales Registered

Fingers crossed we may seen some improvements next year.

6. Corgan

Corgan Registered

At the end of the day we all want the same thing. I just chose to be "rude", but not for the sake of being "rude". You know, bad cop, good cop. But anyway, yes, maybe sometimes I just should shut up. Like most of the time I do. And believe me, I'm a real fan, too.

memoNo1 likes this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

So let's say Alex said "It'll be done by August next year" and August comes and goes, people will be going "But you said it'd be done where the hell is it?"

So they're damned if they do and damned if they don't, really.

8. Pales

Pales Registered

This is entirely self inflicted.

Build: 1110 was introduced back in 2018. On the very same day that it was released, I reported the erratic throttle and braking behaviour change. The devs acknowledged my report later that evening but they simply dismissed it - despite overwhelming evidence that the new build caused issues. Since then we have had to constantly remind Studio 397 of it's existence and keep regurgitating the fact it ruins the game for offline players.

I think they're finally starting to realise just how detrimental this has been to the game. If only they listened and reverted the change all those years ago. Now they're god knows how many builds in and I can't imagine it is easy retrospectively trying to go back and find the root of the problem.

Ultimately, I still think this all boils down to Marcel and his management. Imagine inheriting a game with astounding ai at the time only to introduce a game breaking bug and not prioritise fixing it. Many things were broken for the offline portion of the game and not fixed during his time in charge, he cared very little.

Glad we're finally seeing AI on the agenda, it is light at the end of a tunnel.. Hopefully whoever is in charge now will push for both areas to do well. Best of luck to Alex and whoever else is involved, many people are counting on you :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    jordan3878, GTClub_wajdi and Philip00 like this.
  9. Corgan

Corgan Registered

Really, I don't see any problem with that. I think these guys need a boss with a strong hand, and a strict schedule, because they are all over the place. I don't think anyone has the right to feel aggrieved when he/she take a job, but isn't able to do that job. If you can't do something, admit it, pass it over to someone who is capable of doing it, and just simply leave. Otherwise it's just unnecessary waste of time.

10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

The problem is something else entirely.
    The studio's backer has the final say.
    I guess most people didn't notice the interview I did with Marcel shortly before his (for us surprising) departure.
    It's still on my now somewhat dusty YT channel.
    He said that Luminis, the former backer of S397, had very tight and straightforward ideas to push rF2 forward.
    But the AI did not belong to it for Luminis! (But Marcel did not say that literally!)
    With MSG the whole thing now looks different again.
    I can not take the right to speak for others, but I do not think that Marcel was not interested in the AI.
    Rather, he has acted according to the ideas of Luminis (Which is understandable).
    With MSG, according to Marcel, the studio already has much more freedom.
    And lo and behold, suddenly the AI is at the top of the priority list!

Edit:

The unusual video format is due to my poor English.
    Just press the pause between the lines if you are interested....

This is not an advertisement for my channel, this time is over.
    It's just about me to bring some light into the dark, and that you can not always as you would like.
    The money comes from the top boss!
    And he wants money!

pkelly likes this.
  11. Caio Fonseca

Caio Fonseca Registered

People have the right to demand responses, even more so when they have been pending for more than 4 years.

12. Pales

Pales Registered

Hard disagree.

If you're responsible for introducing a number of bugs into the game that impact the offline experience greatly, you have to make a reasonable effort to resolve them or at least communicate that they are being looked into within a timely manner. The erratic throttle and braking issue isn't exactly a minor bug either, it is pretty controversial. To introduce this bug, dismiss that it exists, and then pretty much remain silent over it for upwards of 4 years is completely unacceptable.

I have many chat logs with Marcel and it was excuse after excuse for many, many years. Like I outlined above, this should have been dealt with on the very same day that it was released. They had all the necessary information to revert the change within hours of the new build being released.

Now they're paying the price with this constant backlash due to his poor judgement.

RJMik and jordan3878 like this.
  13. dylbie

dylbie Registered

This sounds like a conversation with my wife...
    Me: As has been said before in several places, I do want to wash the dishes and they are on the agenda. However there's no point in us talking about when that'll happen until I wash the dishes. Saying they'll be washed by x date and then something happens that means I am not able to wash the dishes by x date will not help the situation at all.

My wife: JUST WASH THE F**KING DISHES!

Corgan and philrob like this.
  14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

You really wash dishes..?:D

15. shiet

shiet Registered

I think S397 has a very small team (probably around 10 people including the modders creating the cars and tracks) so they have to carefully pick and choose what they spend time with. And most certainly they have to do what MSG tells them to do to bring in quarterly profits.
    Looking at all the previous big "quality of life" improvements in this year all the working hours went towards preparing the game for the 24h of Le Mans events (better sound, wet weather, rr2.0, updated GTE cars, TC/ABS, cut track system, etc.) starting in September and additionally since you can't sell the game with "better AI than before" label on it so AI was not a priority.
    When the series starts then we can hope the AI moves up on the priority list.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    sg333 and memoNo1 like this.
  16. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

they should hire trusted beta testers, and we can see most of the major bugs, and I'm sure we can start coding the AI logic.

17. shiet

shiet Registered

Yea, I'm sure they don't have betatesters for the DLCs. The first buyers are the betatesters.
    Probably that's also why they release the RC versions of the game.
    It would be easy to solve this, just gather a few from the community and give them the soon-to-be-released DLCs for free in exchange for testing.

18. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I only hotlap, cause the AI is broken, and even alone I have always the ugly shadows following you on the barriers.....
    I have bought all the DLCs, and hotlaping is the only way to not be too much frustrated.
    I'm ready to beta test the next DLC, for free of course, now I have almost finished my new rig.

19. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

Hearing this is on the agenda is what the community has needed to hear for a long time, so appreciate hearing our feedback and commenting on it as it feels like it has been ignored for years. Just please don't lose sight of it, as it is an important core of the game and likely to bring many back.

memoNo1 and Elcid43 like this.
  20. gehlotsur

gehlotsur Registered

I keep coming back to rFactor 2 because of variety, mods and platform it provides which can be great fun when combined. Although I'm actually appalled how bad the offline immersion experience can be when the AI has still got that awful throttle blip bug. tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022