RX 6900 XT, pixelated trees

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Uff, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Uff

Uff Registered

I've just switched to an AMD graphic card in 20 years, so I'm a bit lost on how to set things. :D
    When launching the game (Sebring, specifically) I get this pixelated/transparency effect on trees and some surroundings. I know this was reported on some mod tracks. What settings can I look for in order to solve this?

Trees.jpg

These are my settings:
    settings_game.jpg settings_panel.jpg

Was there something like a filtering param to edit within the player.json file or something like that?

Thanks.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hopefully I'm wrong, but fairly recently someone complaining about the HUD (MFD) font showed a screenshot with that dithering, on an AMD card. And when I've had AMD cards in the past that same dithering was used in place of actual transparency (in all games I played at that time, usually most present in foliage). At that time I'm pretty sure it's just how AMD did it, with no option to change it.

For me a quick search doesn't give a clear answer, with lots of discussion on graphics engine techniques that I can't put into context of AMD vs Nvidia.

3. Uff

Uff Registered

I will try to investigate more. I remember a similar issue many years ago with nVidia and that could be solved by fiddling with nVidia Control Panel settings.

Lazza likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hopefully you can find something, yeah.

For game settings I think the one you might be remembering is Transparency AA, which caused some issues with very old tracks (like the original Brianza) with at least Nvidia cards (at that time it was better to rely on the Nvidia settings, than the game). But that shouldn't be an issue now.

Just checking on discord, someone actually mentioned turning that option off on AMD cars to help with shadow appearance. May be related, or not.

And just regarding the MFD I mentioned earlier, here's the screenshot that was shown at the time (old HUD obviously)
    upload_2023-4-29_8-26-42.png

5. Uff

Uff Registered

Yes, that's how I see MFD too. I think today I will have to start watching some YT tutorial to see if anything can be improved.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

When I had a R9 280X it was like that, I always assummed it was normal for a somewhat weak card, now I seem to remember that at some point I was able to reduce it a bit, can't remember how, but as Lazza said, I think it's related to transparency AA

7. Uff

Uff Registered

So far I managed to make an improvement with shadows settings: I set shadows to High and shadows blur to optimal instead of quality.
    I will try now to change those settings again to see if that's the cause.
    I still have the pixelated hud, but now all the fences and trees are fine (there probably still is the problem on the very far away trees, but much more limited).

8. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

How many fps do you get with that settings against 23 ai visible as in your settings?

9. Uff

Uff Registered

I attach a screen of the settings I ended up with. MSAA 8x really helps with the trees problem.
    I did a quick race at Sebring: 26 AI (23 visibile cars), race start at 2 pm, cloudy weather. Race start (starting 24th on the grid) made me reach 80 fps. After a lap, when all the cars were a little more distant from each other, fps were around 120/140 depending on the parts of the track. I had peaks of 170 fps, but for a very few moments.
    I'm running with a 5600X CPU and 3600 DDR4 modules, so there definitely is margin for something more with a better CPU.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2023