Rubber banding dedi server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JimmyT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy answer ( :rolleyes: ) to my problem. I have been running a dedi server for myself and one friend where we run a single track and usually one mod and it's been going well.
    I recently had to re-install my server files from scratch (this coincides with the release of the GTE pack) and now on SOME track / mod combinations I get severe rubber banding (where the car in front of you, either AI or player, is say 3 car lengths away then suddenly on your bonnet then 2 lengths)
    Last night I ran spa with S397 GTE (this mod and the GT3 are most effected) and it was very pronounced, yet earlier in the evening I ran a WIP version of Newcastle with the NGTC BTCC cars and there was no issue.
    Does anyone know what causes this?
    And how important is the connection speed setting (see pic)?

Thanks in advance
    JT

Attached Files:

• Dedi.JPG
      Dedi.JPG
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would say that you should set the connection type to a higher type/value, like LAN for example.
    That worked best with rF1 and i guess will do the same with rF2.
    128 kbps is too low.
    And don't use wireless LAN.

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks Bernd but I had it set as custom and much higher, I turned it down this morning to see if it made a difference. :( didn't do much.

Thanks though.

4. ceecee

ceecee Registered

We have had this "rubber banding" since the beginning of the year.
    I have tried all permutations of LAN connection I can think of but it does not disappear, four times last night on the dedi.
    We also run one dedi, one mod, two players and 18-24 AI.
    We now have stuck to these settings (the dedi is on a 200Mb/20Mb wired connection)

upload_2018-8-4_9-12-49.png

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JimmyT so what were the custom settings you were using?

@ceecee why the 2Mbps limit on download? Might as well give it some extra room, you have 200 to play with.

6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

@Lazza We run a weekly private server since rF1 (2008) but this regular "rubberbanding" and connection lost appeared around the beginning of the year.
    Multiple tests have been made on different speeds and the one which slightly lowers the amount of the above problems is when the 2 clients are at a Up speed of around 85%, the download hardly gets used shown in the Data Rate. (here only one client connected and showing 42% up and 11% down)
    Any higher and there seems to be more disconnects and "rubberbanding".
    Dedi server directly connected to modem by CAT5 cable.
    Happily reconnect works quick but having cars disappearing and landing on you in a race is quite alarming.
    Any advice is more than welcome (support requests and traces were sent to rF2 but were ignored).
    Tried many reinstallations and other PCs but problem remains, luckily we are so used to it so we just restart and get on with racing, but it is annoying.

upload_2018-8-4_11-21-30.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  7. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I used to always use the 128kbps before the server re-install (and never had the rubberbanding). After last night I looked more closely and realised the settings had defaulted to 15000 up and 10000 down in the custom settings (??). My internet is 1.1 mbps up and 6.2 mbps down (yeah I know, right. Broadband coming next year maybe). The server is direct connected to the router via cat5 into a gigabit port. But the router serves the whole household and that is why I traditionally used the 128kbps. I am waiting for an opportunity to re-test the server when my friend is available (his racing was most effected last night) and I will let you know how that works.
    @ceecee I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling for this long. Thanks for posting your screenie, I usually set up the server then jump into the race so didn't notice the up/down numbers, will look at them next time and see what's going on. This problem is a relatively new thing for us so I'm on a bit of a learning curve (probably stupid questions following :oops: ). Will get more info to put in here as we progress and hopefully this will move us forward. :)

ceecee likes this.