[REL] Route 666

Discussion in 'Locations' started by A13, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Why not provide the author with some TSO to use?!?!?!

2. A13

A13 Registered

Thank you, it's nice to read the comments.

I can understand the wish to have more track side objects. I'm still learning a lot in 3ds Max and need a bit more time to learn how to create complex objects and animations. At the end I didn't want to do a straight copy and paste of ISI objects.
    Indeed I would like to see some animated animals, waterfalls, trains, windmills, there is a endless list, but the skill is missing atm ;)

With all the positive comments, I won't come around anyway, to prepare an update for the future, bringing in some of the suggestions. :) Also more recorded
    paths with different lengths exists, so maybe they'll come as track in the future too.
    It was interesting to see how far it's possible to push the game engine, the road surface consists of over 200.000 polygons, more than some rF1 tracks use for a complete track. Also over 3100 3d trees don't seem to be a problem for the engine, so there seems to be room for more.

Nice to see the ambient sounds got recognized. I wish I could control them by daytime ;) The grass is not mowed btw, it's kept small by all the animals living there, you just can't see them, because they run away for your loud car. ;) (I wasn't satisfied with the 3d grass I've made...)

The circuit layout should be working for multiplayer. There are 20 garage spots and also the timing box is closed while qualifying and race sessions to avoid cheating.

Some kind of rally style racing was originally intended while creating the track. That's why the point to point layout, but with a tarmac surface and 8 meter wideness I wouldn't call it a rally stage. Of course it's working fine while night. :)

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I like it for many reasons. ;)
    About the trackside objects, I think only some wisely chosen buildings would make some corners more recognizable and help to learn the track. If you use some ready-made buildings, you could even have a small village to see how it looks.

I think you've just invalidated all rally stages in all rally games.

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Excuse me?

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Oh, I thought you had gone over the limit of exclamation points in one sentence. Sorry I miscounted, you were actually two short of the limit, so your good to go.
    My bad.

6. myself9

myself9 Registered

Beauuuutiful course, A13.

My favorite part? The trees are collidable! :)

7. Gupster

Gupster Registered

Thank you for this, Fun driving and sightseeing! I pulled over and shut down just to hear the birds and watch the clouds.
    I think I saw jimcarrel parked down by the lake :)

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I love the concept of this track! My only preference is for a less "random" road path (perhaps one that follows the topography like a normal road would and doesn't have little kinks for no reason). But I'm not making it, so the author can do what he pleases and obviously lots of people like it.

9. A13

A13 Registered

Thank you, but indeed the track path is following a real road path. It was recorded with GPS and I compared it later on google maps, it was following the road. :)
    The height information of the GPS signal is not accurate enough so I had to smooth this out. So the main elevation changes stayed, later I build in some of the smaller jumps and vertex noise with different levels to get the bumps into the surface. Also the cambers are made by vague memory of the real place.

It's an unusual layout, but the road, I wouldn't call it road anymore, maybe a way through a forest, is not used by public traffic anymore. Some of the places don't even have a complete tarmac surface anymore. It's also not so wide, than I've rebuild it. For sure not a place I would like to race in real life. ;)

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Sounds indeed like a Rally track...

11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Hi A13, this is really needed to run the track? I´m asking because some occasions i cleaned up shaders folder and cbash folder when new builds are out.
    Sorry about my english

12. A13

A13 Registered

It is not really needed, the game generates the files of it's own.
    On slower systems it can takes up to 5 min or on our dedicated server it takes up to 30 min to load up the track and generate those files.
    They're only there to help the weaker systems to start the track faster for the first time it gets loaded.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, that explains it. Some parts do feel like a rally track in the middle of a forest...except the surrounding scenery doesn't necessarily match. A gravel version of the tight and twisty parts could be great! And a more flowing country road ("back roads") would also be great. It's only that they seem to be combined into one and unexpectedly switch back and forth that threw me.

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Couldn't have been me, I mean, how could it have been? I was innocently at the store getting milk and eggs. There was a long, long line at the cash registrar and then the flat tire. (and no jack). I was only 3 hours late getting back home. So see, it couldn't have been me.

15. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

16. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

I had a great fun on your track with 370Z ! I love jumps, tricky turns and birdsong :)
    Thank you for sharing your work.

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Looks like lots of fun for special-stage running. Thanks for the track.

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Thanks a bunch for this road track, very funny and good looking! :) Great work! :)

BTW, why did you put a car parked with a flat tire near the lake with this weird guy trying to feed birds with some milk and eggs? ;)

19. CobraGamer

CobraGamer Registered

It doesn't load. But the track looks great!

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Maybe download the cbash and put it in your root folder? That solved it for me.