[REL] Route 666

Discussion in 'Locations' started by A13, Nov 25, 2013.

1. A13

A13 Registered

Route 666 v1.0

Somewhere, in the middle of nowhere, a street is winding through the landscape. It has been forgotten over the years and is only used by some locals. Originally made before the war, it was made with no basement and started early to drift and erode. After the war a new bypass road was build, making the road obsolete. To keep the road intact for agricultural machines and some locals, the worst places were repaired over the decades by filling with concrete.

The track is semi fictional. That means it's based on a GPS path I recorded with my mountain bike. The surrounding environment is fictional, but is trying to replicate the atmosphere of the real place.
    It was started as learning project in 3ds Max, as I want to recreate my favourite real life track soon. In the end it turned out to be something interesting which could be worth to share ;)

I imported that path with ImportGeo to 3dsMax and created the track and terrain with Trackmaker. In general Mario Morais' script selection and tutorials helped me a lot to create this track. Thanks for this Mario :)

It's a tight and twisty track, so better try something good to handle first. Historic F3, Clios and Meganes seem to provide some good fun here.

The track comes with 2 layouts. The original recorded point to point layout.
    I closed that with a long straight to make a circuit out of it. To make the straight not too boring, I've build in some nice jumps. That's the second layout.
    Unfortunately the timing won't stop for the point to point layout. It's working in mod dev mode, I tried several combinations, but then it's packaged for single player mode the second xfinish doesn't get recognized.

Most of the textures and the utility poles are from ISI tracks.

Tosch was so nice and created the HDR profiles and also edited some of the trees' normal maps. :)

If you're hitting frame rate problems, try reducing reflection details first, followed by shadow details and then track details.
    Loading the track for the first time can take up to 5 minutes, on a dedicated server much longer. If you want to shorten the loading time, you can download the cbash files (known as .*hat files from rF1).

If you're using the track map plugin, you can download the needed AIW and gdb files as extra archive.

Thanks a lot to Mario and Tosch for their support and of course to ISI for bringing us that much joy with rF1 and rF2.
    I also want to thank Flip for all the test evenings we had together.

Have fun :)

View attachment 10919 View attachment 10920 View attachment 10921 View attachment 10922 View attachment 10923

unfortunately not recorded and encoded in best quality.

link to track *note it's displayed as multi component in mod manager
    link to cbash *extract the archive to your rf2 root folder
    link to trackmap plugin files *extract the archive to your rf2 root folder

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Thanks- sounds like fun!

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Looks fun :)

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

God damn awesome. Could it be possible to make another version where there is turning points at each end of the road so it allows oncoming traffic?

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

You didn't mention this was 17 miles- it's an alternate Nords!

6. A13

A13 Registered

thanks for the positive comments so far :)

That's indeed a good idea. Originally I wanted to add some white road lines too (middle, left and right). Could be worth bringing them in and try this out :)

Forgot about that :) Indeed similarities were kept in mind by choosing the path :)

7. Maug

Maug Registered

Thanks. Looks cool. I love long road tracks!

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Interesting project. While I normally don't like fictional tracks this kind of puts me in the mind of Rally racing, i.e. where you can't expect to "learn" the track and have to drive more on instinct.
    I want a Group B Lancia Delta Integrate to go with this... or the ISI AC Cobra will work beauftifully especially if we get a road-car version.

Some bit more variation on roadside objects or road marks would be great, but I can really see people enjoying this.

9. Magzire

Magzire Registered

this looks amazingly fun :)

10. Maug

Maug Registered

I had a session with the clio to discover the track and it was great fun. I'm loving it. It's a lot more twisty than what i expected from the video(maybe a FOV setting?). It's really challenging, there's a fair amount of bumps and jumps combined with blind corners here and there, even with the clio there's enough to do not to get bored. I started the session at the end of the day when the sun was still up and i finished it by night. Some may say the track lacks TSOs but i've barely had the time to pay attention while driving, especially by night. The track has a great flow. Great job.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I've got to say one thing, Stupendous!
    Atmosphere was typical for these country roads. My wife grew up in an area that was full of such meandering roads that hooked up different places and they were all paved.

The bird track took me a bit to get used to, but I finally jacked up the sound so I could hear my shift points. (don't spread it around, but I spent a lot of years out in the field bird watching) this was all enjoyable.

I'm just wondering who did all the grass mowing. Best kept country road I've seen in a while.

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

H O L Y C R A P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing! This came out of nowhere and has completely blown me away. I have to admit that at first I figured this might be awful so grabbed a T280 just for grins but daaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuummmmmm! Excellent! Looks great! Wonderful variety! Twisty but not to the point of fatigue and plenty of space to move through the gears. Wicked cambers but not overdone my any means. Jumps on straight are deadly but perfect. I got caught outside the fence about halfway through and was disappointed but then was able to get back through and finish the lap. Awesome rock formations, BTW. Just awesome. I wouldn't change a thing. Oh one last thing, I brought some AI friends with me and they may need work although it is hard for me to tell being upside down much of the time :p. But yeah they do seem slow of course. Is this track multiplayer ready? If so, Tim kill all the servers and let's all jump onto this track and just add another server as they fill up because this track is simply too much fun. OK. Sleep is overrated. One more lap... :p

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Galaga has tendencies. (to go bonkers, sometimes)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Very nice. :)

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I'm in love with this track, Nothing better than jumping in a easy car and blasting around with H shifter etc.
    Some of the off camber turns are cool. Reminds me of the back road up to the summit of Troodos Mountain over here in some parts :)
    Not a criticism here but do you think the track would benefit from some TSO, perhaps the horses and cows from historic Spa :) or a few sparse crowds or marshals and the odd country dwelling :)
    Brilliant work and a lot of fun.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Maybe take a book out of NFS Shift early titles... they had some really nice country roads. A roofed-over bridge over a stream... an abandoned mill or mine, maybe a clearing with some horses...

That'd be a most perfect fictious track.

17. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Cool looking track there. Throw some of those ISI farm animals in and you can really make it stand out. ;) lol

18. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

does it work at night? i'm thinking rally special stage lol

19. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

It's great, a real pleasure to drive Clio

Thank you

20. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Wow.
    SW