Rock Ring [WIP]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Jepsertti, Jun 21, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hopefully we will start rocking soon :)

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Indeed. :D

Jepsertti,

Can you show some screenshot from your reflection problem? It would be easier to see what is possibly wrong.

Generally, wet reflection gets stronger when alpha channel is darker and reflection will be distorded by normal map also. It's sometimes hard to balance, because this also affects track's specularity in low sun angles in dry weather.

To make this even more complicated, track tech has changed little bit with current build (Silverstone is first example of it). I think Luc Van Camp has described new features here. Do some search here and you probably find new describtion of RealRoad shader, which might be useful.

Cheers!

3. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Messed up whole day with the reflections today... Still no solution :( I've tried everything I think I can.. Took a look on Silverstone in 3DSimED and noticed that the road material is with "t1" shader. Then I looked how the Silverstone road textures are made and I did the same for my track... Well, I thought that it would look great now, but the asphalt is yellow... I don't know what is the problem, so I copied all the road materials from Silverstone to my track and tried, and it's still yellow.. How's this possible? I even used same file names, textures and material names... And same material settings. First I thought that it would be just dev mode issue but the same happens in single player mode. Could someone help me please? And thanks @Jka for trying to help me, I sent PM to you, please respond :) And I will soon post screenshots.

PS. So should I use the "road shader two diffuse maps" or the "t1" shader?

4. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Here's screenshot of the problem... (Taken yesterday, now the road is yellow...)

View attachment 8790

5. Hazi

Hazi Registered

6. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

YAY! Thanks for Hazi for link and Jka for helping me via PM, I managed to get it to work! :) It was the reflection map "REFLECTEDENV" which I didn't have in my .scn file. Now it reflected sky correctly. :) Now I have to include other objects there too... Will post screenshot maybe sometime, if not today, then tomorrow :) Stay tuned!

7. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

8. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You need to raise your road textures resolution, especially normal map. Or map them more tightly, if resolution is ok... ;)

Cheers!

9. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Yeah, true, resolution is 1024x1024... :p There read somewhere also that I should make at least 8 points to track surface in BTB (now there's the default 4.. or 5? :D )

10. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Uploading public video to YouTube which shows the track now :) It's using the version I did yesterday. (Working reflections, but video is on sunny) Uploading will take ~4-5 hours.

Attention: I will say this already, that there's little bug areas, where the grass makes a little "hole" showing off nothing, this will be fixed, as it's really easy fix. Also, the track has two pretty big areas with grass overlapping, causing weird flickering (can't see in video) which will also be fixed. Also track will get more ambulances, crowds on stands, advertise banners (contact me if you would like your own advertisement... ;) ) and other things. But it's not so far away from public release :)

11. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

It didn't take so long... ;)

12. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Will the track be released soon? I could use it in an endurance event!

13. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Before the end of month I think :) Maybe earlier, maybe later, hard to really say :)

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Nice flowing layout. Looking foward to this.

15. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Now having problems with AIW Editor... *sigh* I have done pit, garage and grid places in BTB, and they're working, but the racing line isn't correct, and it whines on many corners about cutting.. I have tried to record many times a path in AIW Editor, and then save it as main path, and save waypoints, but sometimes the rF2 then crashes in single player loading screen, and now the changes didn't make effect at all... Could someone please help me (again..)? :)

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Have you used the red and green lines to set the drivable and roadside in btb?
    I would keep trying with btb until you get a decent fast path. I never get problems of ais cutting in the corners. Just move the fast path so that they just drive with one wheel in the pianos. Trial and error until you get some experience.

17. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

I got it working I think.. :) Haven't tried ingame yet, but I'm 99.5% sure it works ;) It was the "corridors". Had to adjust them right in BTB, because they was set as default. Hopefully it works. BTW, now the build I started working with (since this corridors thing) will be second last build before release. This build will include all remaining things to add to track. Then, the last build will be few days driving and checking for bugs and fixing them. Track might be ready just in time for 1st of August ;)

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I'm glad you solved the issue. :)
    You will find other problems in the future but with some patience, good will and sometimes some help you will solve them. Keep it up!!!!!

BTW I forgot to mention. Always be very systematic when making backups within your btb project!!!!. It is fairly easy to mesh up nad when you want to go back it is too late. You will realize that BTB gets slower the more objects you have in the scene. If ctrl z takes too much time remember a trick you can rename the files located in the temporary folder to venue.bin in the oroject folder. When you start making your own xpacks be very careful with changing an xpack already in use. One gets too confident with time until one day he loses a lot if time involving project and learns to be very systematic and have some tricks to avoid disaster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  19. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Yeah, I've done really much saves and I've faced problems with for example, when I change material, then I can't go back, but luckily I've always saved backups just in case ;) SPASKIS, could it be possible for you to come to skype for a moment..? :) I have you in my friends list, if you remember :)

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Im sorry jepser i am going to bed now. I get up around 6.30 and I am already late. Maybe tomorrow night if you want. Another advise: go to bed and sleep. Things turn around much better when you are awake. ;-)