Roadsign fonts

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by mianiak, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Thought I'd share this, I found it a few months back when I was looking for road signs.
    http://www.fontspace.com/category/highway

They work well, as it's basically a vector image that you can resize and re-colour to what ever you like without losing quality.

2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Very good link thanks!!

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I actually used this one for example, for a project featuring a french track :)
    http://www.adsequipements.com/Catalogue ADS1 .pdf

You can open this in Illustrator and have access to everything because all the signs are vectors. Simply a matter of finding the right one
    and copy/paste :) Big chance for other countries similar documents exist, it's worth looking for because for me it was quite the timesaver.

4. A13

A13 Registered

5. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

There is considerable research regarding road sign fonts. I begged ISI in the Wish List forum to reconsider the horrible font used in the in-race chat window and suggested that it might be appropriate to use an actual road sign font, one designed scientifically to be readable at a glance by drivers proceeding at speed.

I'm not sure how you'll keep from nodding off, but here are some Wikipedia links: FHWA Font; Clearview Font; and Transport Font.
    There also an amusing YouTube video with James May interviewing the lady who was instrumental in designing the UK's road signage: Vauxhall VXR review about 2 minutes in.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks A13!