Road reflections - any impact except FPS?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by stonec, Jun 28, 2013.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

I, as quite a few other users, had problems with low fps on Silverstone, averaged around 35 fps on a fairly high-end system. I decided to put road reflections from high to off in hopes to see improvement, and indeed, I suddenly got 75-100 fps constantly. Now I was expecting the visuals to look notably worse, but here are the comparison shots:

View attachment 8440
    View attachment 8441
    View attachment 8442
    View attachment 8443

There are visually no differences that I could spot in any of these screens. Which makes me wonder, why is there a setting if it only reduces fps without any impact on visuals, or has actually anyone been able to spot a difference using different road reflection levels?

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

View attachment 8444 :)

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Indeed there seems to be rain reflections on some tracks such as the feels3 ones. On ISI tracks road reflections do nothing for me, both in dry and wet.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

So unless racing at dusk, dawn, night or raining it can be considered too expensive for the improvement it gets. Might be interesting to establish and option to enable it only at certain race circumstances and when activated to lower other settings to compensate its effect. Especially when it is raining or night and the visibility is much worse, would not be noticed that much. At dawn or dusk the number of rendered objetcts could be reduced for example.

No need to expkain that this reflection mode would be mainly focused in endurance races: endurance mode.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I was about to report that. Just did some tests on Silverstone and Lime Rock Park. On Silver, I was waiting over 40 minutes in heavy rain (the heaviest rain that can be set from the game menu, 95% chance, 90% humidity and 16 deg.C set for all 5 time sections) and got no reflections at all after that time. On LRP, I waited about 10 minutes and also no reflections at all.

EDIT: On Poznan it's OK - I have all reflections in wet, as expected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
  6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

7. MJP

MJP Registered

Not as visible as Poznan for sure but they're there.

Attached Files:

8. Radar

Radar Registered

To be honest I think the road reflections in MJP screenshot at Silverstone is more realistic than in Feels track.

I feel there is too much mirror like reflection.. It's been raining here where I live for a few weeks now and looking at the road I never saw a sharp image of a tree, traffic light or sign from the side of the road.. Unless it's monsoon rain and it covers the entire road then sure, I may see the reflection like a mirror but that screenshot kaptainkremmen looks to be sunshine.. Too shiny in my honest opinion.

9. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Question on this topic: Does "Road reflections" only control whether the sky, car and trackside objects are reflected in a wet surface, or does it also control whether the sun is reflected in the tarmac?