Richard Burns Rally ?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by AKR, Apr 3, 2023.

1. AKR

AKR Registered

As RF2 is my daily sim and since this forum is read by people who understand why, I got a question: is RBR a game I should play? What is an rf2 fan's opinion? I never played it, but from what I read it could be the "RF2 of rally games"? If so, please let me know and I will start the, probably terrible, process of installing it, including all the latest mods and VR plugin etc.. So far the only rally game I have is Dirt 2.0 but it is very arcade and on a monitor it is not possible to get a realistic fov and since "seat tilt" is also missing, I rarely play it. Can RBR be tweaked better in that sense?.

2. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I tried some years ago, it's very easy to install and have a huge amount of free content:

https://www.rallysimfans.hu/rbr/download.php?download=rsfrbr

These guys did a phenomenal job.

But, for me the problems were:

1. The cars have no usable dashes at all, the hud has very limited info, so you'll be dependent of simhub to have enough information for online racing.
    2. force feedback is garbage compared with rF2 in my opinion.
    3. It's insanely difficult to drive fast without crashing, and I'm not a new guy on rF2, I do simracing since 2008 in GTR2, rF2 since 2015, I have a huge experience. Did you play Dirt Rally before? this is nothing like it.

Anyway, I think it worth a try.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  3. AKR

AKR Registered

Thanks for the feedback.
    Unfortunate to hear the ffb isn’t that good, well at least not in comparison to rf2. I hoped it would be. Anyhow: I think I am going to try it out though.

My favorite racing game back in the days was “Rally championship 2000” if I remember well. Played it on keyboard (or joystick, I forgot). It was really nice.

Dirt rally 2: ffb is crap but more importantly, I cannot adjust the seat properly. In VR is doesn’t really look as nice unfortunately. Also currently I have a full F1-rig-setup and this does not help ;-). But I assume that if RBR is good and also runs in VR, a lot of fun must be possible with it, also since the game will not be very demanding on the pc and should therefore run smooth in VR.

ebeninca likes this.
  4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

If I remember correctly in Dirty Rally 1 certain camera configurations, like FOV, were only possible by manually editing game config files.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'd say yes, play RBR. I would play it, but I haven't for long time because I couldn't get enough free time even to play rF2. Dirt Rally 1 is also quite good with some cars/stages, but RBR beats it. One of my last drives in RBR was with some modded 911 in Mineshaft, and it was superb IMO. Semetin is one of best mod tracks ever created, I had crazy good time there with Opel Manta. It could be a bit tricky to set it all up though. Even default unmodded MULLIGATAWNY RBR is worth a time still in 2023, and probably same will be in 2050. Taking rally school in game is great.