SOLVED rFactor2 wont start, Steam shows Message: +path=" ""

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mooneye, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

Hi, im running out of ideas now, rf2 will not start up, the only thing i see is in either Single or Multiplayer:
    Screenshot (976).jpg Screenshot (978).jpg
    When i hit ok nothing happens...... when i hit "abbrechen" (stop it in english) nothing happens too.....grrr

Now, i tried several things already:
    Reinstalled all the runtimes in rf2 commonredist folder,... result = no difference
    Deleted and redownloaded, verified through steam several Folders inside RF 2 Main directory, like User Data, Bin64, Launcher, Plugins and so on, Checked Videosettings checked shortcut and Steam Gamestartoptions, but could not find any +path= Parameters written there,(am i blind?) tried compatibility Mode and running as admin....nothing works.....
    Installed newest Nvidia Driver 391.24 and resetted rf2 profile....... no success.....
    rf2 Launcher says its Version 1109
    PC Specs: Win 10 64 v 1709, 16GB Ram, Intel Core i 4790, Asus GTX 780
    Any ideas now, because im getting "angry slowly"? i want rf 2 back......now ;-P

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

3. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

Hi Ari, thx, but my rf2 Launcher looks like this and all is empty there .....
    I had a longer break from rf 2 before i tried to start it up, so maybe i or it did write in this sh....y +path= thing with an old version of the launcher and the new one wont show it, but i cant remember it for sure if i edited it myself or not, because its several Months back, and my Brain works for such timespans like a "swiss cheese with some holes" in it , sometimes :p , what can i try now???
    Is there another place/file inside the rf 2 directory where i can edit or look out for such things, where they were written in through this Command line interface Parameters?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Right click the game on steam, properties, launch options, and clear it.

5. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

Thx Coutie, but the line there is already clear..... look the picture: there must be another way to clear this s... path thing i hope, but how and where?
    in which files does rf2 and steam write those command line parameter things too, besides the line itself????

Attached Files:

6. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

UserData/Launcher.config has my launch parameters.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

In your second post with the picture of your Launcher.
    I am wondering why, if you have started the launcher in the last day or so, the date shown in the Startup Log is:
    rFactor2 Content Inventory @ Jun 13 2017 13:16:00
    and not todays date. :confused:

Also, above that Startup Log you have the Command Line Interface Parameters, did you select each of the 4 options?
    Single, Multi, Dev and Dedi Server to see if any had any commands.

Have you tried starting rF2 using the "Play" button on your rFactor2 Library page instead of using the desktop shortcut or other ways?

Here is a picture of my rF2 folder and Launcher.config so you can compare .

Attached Files:

Mooneye likes this.
  8. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

Hmm, yes true , why Jun 13 2017??? Yes I tried and started the Launcher and rf2 from the exes inside the rf2 folder ( under steamapps/common/rf2, and from inside the Steamlibrary but still the same, i also deleted and redownloaded all exes through steam, no change.....
    And yes i selected all 4 options, all of them have an empty command line
    My Launcher config looks exactly the same as yours........
    i dont understand why this f..... Launcher shows this old date...????

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Compare the following,
    Open your Launcher Folder, right click the Launch rFactor.exe and select Properties.
    Mine is:
    Size: 3.79 MB (3,979,264 bytes)
    Size on disk: 3.79 MB (3,981,312 bytes)

The Attributes are Read-only and Hidden both unticked.

10. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

Now i found the Trouble maker and a Solution!!!!!!!!!! After looking and comparing your picture from your rf2 Folder there was one more "thing" inside mine, called: rFactor2 ( look Picture) after deleteing that piece of "Garbage" rf 2 will launch again :).
    But dont ask me from where and why and how this file came into my folder...... date says 29.8.2017, and then: tier0_s Dynamic Link Library, from Valve Corporation........
    So thank you ADSTA for posting a Picture from your rf2 folder........

Attached Files:

ADSTA likes this.
  11. Goanna

Goanna Registered

With the 2017 date thingy, if I remember correctly every time you do a verify integrity it overwrites the ini file and puts that "default" date in there. Not at my computer atm to confirm.

EDIT: Confirmed, a verify integrity defaults the value back to
    "rFactor2 Content Inventory @ Jun 13 2017 13:16:00"

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Seems strange that deleting and reinstalling rF2 didn't fix it, if an old file was in there. Unless that's not what you meant.

13. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

I only deleted and reinstalled some of the folders which were suggested in other threads or faqs when you have trouble with Crashes, not the complete rf2 installation, but anyway, what the hell was this boring file doing inthere?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No idea, some sort of leftover from some past install or something. The tier0_s.dll seems normal by the way, so just that shortcut maybe doing something weird.

When I read your first post I thought "deleted and redownloaded" meant rF2, but reading again now I can see how you meant only some folders.

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Good to see you found that rotten little shortcut that deserves an uppercut! :cool:
    I realised you hadn't done a full delete and that was going to be my next suggestion.

If you still have that shortcut in the recycle bin could you restore it and right click it to get it's properties.
    We can then see what it was a shortcut to before it's final trip back to the bin. ;)

Edit: Might be a good idea to edit the thread title with "SOLVED" at the start

16. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

"Luckily" i still have it..... look at the picture: what a strange target path...... my rf2 and steam folder is and were always on my SSD named D: not C/ Launcher wtf??? was that shortcut a joke, Virus or Trojan or what???

Attached Files:

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you got a "Launcher" folder on your C drive along with "Program Files" folders etc?
    Rereading some off your posts, I would say in your frustration you could have quite easily put folders/files in the wrong places.
    If rF2 is all back to normal, I would take some screenshots of the rF2 folder structure as a guide if needed in the future.

18. Mooneye

Mooneye Registered

No, didnt found any Launcher folder on my C: Drive.

Before i tried to fire up rf2 i had a longer break from Simracing ( last time i used rf2 it worked without any trouble ), and steam too, so before i could launch rf2 and steam, both made some updates and especially rf 2 additionally a big lot of Workshop downloads first ( Tracks, Cars,) maybe there something went "wrong" in the whole amount of these new files?

19. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can try changing the path yourself.
    It'll be something like steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64.

20. durielk

durielk Registered

I'm having the same problem after messing with everything to uninstall the nvidia driver.

Attached Files: