rFactor2 - Where to put custom car skins

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by Abriel Nei, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

1. Locate rFactor2 Data folder and open UserData folder
      example: "C:\Games\rFactor2 Data\UserData"
    2. Open your profile folder
      in most cases the folder is called "player"

NOTE: You can check what profile you are using if you open rFactor2 Launcher and click the Host button. Your profile is displayed in the first drop down.
    3. Open Settings folder
    4. Create or open a folder with the exactly the same name as the series your skin is for
      example: "Meganes2009"

NOTE: You can check the series name in the "C:\Games\rFactor2 Data\Installed\Vehicles" folder.
    5. Create or open a folder with exactly the same name as the name of the default skin for the car
      example "M2009_06"

NOTE: You can check the default skin name if you press the Tuning button when selecting a car. The name is displayed in the Variants field.
    6. In this directory you must place the skin file. There are 2 rules for the skin filename:
      - maximum skin filename length is 12 characters (plus extension ".dds")
      - there must be "alt" anywhere in the filename (so basically you have 9 characters to name your skin)
      example "123456789alt.dds"

Skin folders for some series:
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\BrabhamBT20\BT20_5
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\Meganes2009\M2009_06
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\FormulaISIr\FISIR02
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\FormulaRenault35s\FR35_10
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\HistoricOpenWheels\SPARKF1_32
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Corvette_C6R_GT2\C6R_00 or C6R_car\C6R_00 (2 version)
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\ISI_SkipBarber_2012\SKIPBARBER_69
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\Nissan370zGT4\370Z_06
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\NissanGTR\NGTR_02
    {rFactor2 Data folder} \UserData\player\Settings\Renault_Clio\Clio_12 or Renault_ClioCup_Car\CLIO_12 (2 version)

2. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

{rFactor2 Data folder} This means the folder where your rFactor2 is installed, not the folder named "Data".

In your case it would be for example C:\Spiele\rFactor2, then add the rest of it \UserData\player\Settings\BrabhamBT20\BT20_5

So you will have C:\Spiele\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\BrabhamBT20\BT20_5

4. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

I've try this path but i cant get the skins in game.. its curios for me --> this settings folder is my car setup folder
    C:\Spiele\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Yes, Settings folder is folder also for setups, hdr profiles and also for skins. If there is no folder with your car name, you need to create that folder and put your skin DDS files in the folder like it's explained on article page.

This is my patch for Nissan for example:
    F:\GAMES\rFactor2\UserData\player\ Settings\Nissan370zGT4\370z_06\FALKEN_ALT.dds

I needed to create this two folders cause I didn't have them before: \Nissan370zGT4\370z_06

What car skin do you want to try?

6. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Ok thanks, my problem is solved. I have the skins in game ;)

7. MrOi

MrOi Registered

Folder shows up in game with Alt.dds file as a choice. When I click reload the screen flashes but it will not load the new skin. Here is my Path
    Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\Nissan370zGT4\370Z_06\FALKEN_ALT.dds
    Any ideas?

8. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

There is now a 'Create Dir' button on the vehicle tuning page .

9. MrOi

MrOi Registered

Still no skins screen flashes but original skin stays.
    Game is up too date. All tracks and cars installed.

10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

I think you got a "space" in your folder name after "Nissan" - maybe that`s the problem. And maybe FALKEN_ALT.dds is too long too. Shorten to FALK_.... but Prodigy got it working with FALKEN, so it might be the space.

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I think this forum created that "space" in folder name, because the word (path) is too long, but either way, there shouldn't be spaces.
    I have just tried to see if my skin is still working and it is, with same name as before, falken_alt.dds.
    I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere else.

12. MrOi

MrOi Registered

All mods and tracks work. Don't know what the problem is. Game runs great and I would love to try out some of the great looking community skins, but it's not a deal breaker. Thanks to all of you for trying to help.

The only folder if i am correct that needs a skin file is the Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\Nissan370zGT4\370Z_06

I can scroll through the skins in the tuning garage but the skins do not show up on the car. I have tried reloading also.

Am I missing something or is it a bug on my end. I have tried shorting the files also (10 characters)

after searching other forums for hours I am convinced it is just some sort of bug on my end.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  13. MrOi

MrOi Registered

I can install a alt skin on every car in the spinner see the name scroll through the different skins. But it is still not appearing (showing up) on the cars actual cars. I have downloaded skins I have not tried to create my own skin. I really am not going to let this go. i work on it about an 1/2 hour a day.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Depends on your install I do not have any users on my PC , sims do not make document folders since ever, all my Operating Systems from DOS on used one user......... thank goodness.

Mine would be DRIVE:\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\Nissan 370zGT4\370Z_06

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In order that this system worked fine no alternate skins should be included in the original vehicle. Otherwise it does not recognise the new skin since it already exists. It happens with some meganes from the latest 1.44 version for example #3.