rFactor2 - What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloydvdw, Aug 28, 2013.

1. lloydvdw

lloydvdw Registered

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what your thoughts are about the whole rF2 game so far.

I almost never use the single player, I race online once a moth with 2 or 3 of my friend who also bought rf2.
    Everytime we want to race online, I spend more time updating the game and downloading/installing new tracks then actually playing.

Sometimes it's been 2 months since we raced, so we get together on skype to race online. But we spent 2 hours searching the web where we can find the new tracks, downloading and installing.
    I have 3 of 4 websites where I can find new tracks, but no site shows them classified by date (this would be easy, seriously..).
    So I open e.g. ~ISR Megane mod, and thnm start searching the tracks we don't have.

When we finally get in, there are maximum 30 people online, and of course, they are all in the same server.. We like to match our skills with other people, but there's only one server we can do that, and it's the Megane server.
    Nonetheless, it's in my opinion the most fun car to race with. But still, i'd like to try something else once in a while.

After installing countless mods en tracks, some functions of rFactor2 just don't work anymore. This is the third time I have to completely uninstall and reinstall the game...

Moreover, rFactor2 has been in development since 2010 (i think), the first release date was scheduled december 2011. We're now august 2013 and there is still no sight of when the game will be fully released... Is this going to be a Beta/development game forever or what?

I just want to meet with friends, go online, start up the game and race. Simple as that without all the other effort. But that's not the case at all.

However, I think the gameplay is very good and if the game works I really enjoy it.

Is there anyone else who shares my thoughts?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

To me it definitely feels like rFactor 1.5, with slow progress. I had purchased it in April but really was dissatisfied so asked for a refund a couple of days later. I've purchased it again about 10 days ago on the promise of future improvements and content, building on top of some foundation laid/being laid right now.

Online is a bit dreadful and sparse but then again there's not much out there in content that is proper good and balanced (stock or mod). I do fear rFactor 2 will turn into vastly segregated series with about 3-5 servers open to the public with people racing the same 2-3 car/track combos, and infinite amounts of empty, password servers. The vmods are a gift and a curse, as now everything requires a download but there's usually some file that is missing that the game is never able to download, thus rendering the system - which lifetime members paid $40 dollars more - useless.

I can't speak regarding broken functionality as I'm extremely organized and that filters down to being very careful and tidy with my installations and uninstalls. But about development, it's ISI's pace. Certainly some things are bedazzling to us outsiders (and I suspect many modders) given the base of the engine is something that has existed for nearly a decade. I don't think you can get a refund anymore, I believe that for a while now the grace period has been 7 days, so you'll have to just make the best of what you have and be hopeful.

3. kevinho

kevinho Registered

This is annoying, I agree with that point (even if you're exaggerating). As long as the servers dont allow players to download missing components the community has to make the content accessible with ease. The IsR-guys already did it with a sticky thread on their forums, where you can download every component of the IsR-Megane Mod. This is, in my honest opinion, one of the main reasons why people race on the IsR-servers (besides the fact IsR-members are racing there a lot)

Well, skillmatching is a feature that's very hard to realise, I think. If you play other games, for example DotA2 (which has got a matchmaking system), you'll hardly find a balanced matchup. Of course, SimRacing is a bit different - but there will always be better/quicker drivers. So ISI would need to implement a kind of rating-system...well...I don't know if this would help to create "fair and skillmatched races"

Haven't had issues like that.

I think you misunderstood the term of "constantly evolving product". There will never be a final product - also there won't be any beta-version. Maybe you can compare it to iRacing, where nobody I know is complaining about newly released builds/updates.

A good matchmaking/party system could help - but I dont know if there's already a system like that, because I've never used it in rFactor/rFactor2 (most of the time I am a league only racer)

Indeed, it is. The most crucial point is the lack of quality content - but I am looking forward to announced mods like RFT2013 and I really like the lately released content by ISI.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just to pick up on this, if you're expecting a refund after you've owned the SIM at least for two months then good luck with that. do you always ask for a refund for anything else after a long period of time? how does that usually work out for you?

my advice is just too keep it on your hard drive and forget about it for a few months, then come back and see what's what.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

rFactor2 does require more work to get a good experience from it. You have to be part of the community to know what the latest content is and to get it before you need it. Even then, it's difficult because the rfmod system requires you to have every track on the server not just the current track. If you want a game that is good for pubby racing, rF2 is the wrong game IMHO. There are only 2 regular pubbies that have people on them- ~ISR~ Meganes and F3 Fanatics WCR60's F3

The best way to race rF2 is join a league or start a club with your friends that meets on the same night at the same time every week. Then you can make your own rfmod and you and all your friends will have all the content.

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Wasn`t this really kind of covered here?

7. lloydvdw

lloydvdw Registered

Hi Guy, I really haven't got the slightest idea on how to do that. :(
    I've been talking with my friends (4 friends who bought rf2, me included) to set up our own server. We're all willing to contribute, but none of us knows how to get started... We all have average computer skills, some more advanced then the other, do you think it's possible to do that, or is there a lot of programming, etc involved?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Not hard at all for basic server set up.

Maybe if you want some complex rules to your server then maybe, but all you need really is give couple of minutes of your time to make a vmod, good internet connection for hosting (I'm able to host max 12 people with my 20/1 connection), and quick start up for server (choose options you prefer).

Fowarding right ports can be difficult but you only have to do it once.

There is always somebody here to help you with online stuff, just start a thread.

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

10. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

Why don't you and your friends form a team and join us over at http://simhqmotorsports.com and enter the SCES season that is currently underway? You will find lots of helpful people there and they will help you get up and running. There are even some of them who will paint you a car for your team. not only is it a great place to race, it is also a great place to learn. All abilities are catered for. My name over there is Stewart Forgie, so if you do pop over be sure to say hello.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I thought the same thing as well, then I asked around and found out I was wrong....You CAN have a simple 1 click download car/track from the server, it's just that most servers don't allow this option due to bandwidth data costs/limits. Some people have tried it and reported it to work like a charm. 1 click, auto download the mod (a single car, the fantasy Senna Maclaren in this particular persons example), download complete, entered server perfectly with new mod/car.

12. AlexJTownsend

AlexJTownsend Registered

Personally I haven't touched the online part yet... too scared of being too slow or too inexperienced.

To be honest, the single player, with the option of turning the AI aggression and ability up or down is all I really need at the moment.
    I need to get used to the tracks, the cars and the handling for a bit first. I tried it out on my first PC build, an AMD based system with an HD7770 2GB card in, wasn't that impressed, so I built a new one, Intel based with GTX 780 and now I really can't see why I'd ever want to play on the Xbox or PS3 racers again!

The game feels so awesome with the Fanatec CSW kit too.

One day I'll race online, but only when I feel confident of lapping without coming off, missing my braking points or hitting any AI cars during the races.
    I want to have the complete rF2 experience, and yes, that includes the downloading of tracks and cars periodically which I think is great compared to having everything available straight away as console racers do.

My thoughts in a nutshell?
    Love the game
    Love the concept
    Love the fact that I'm involved, (albeit in a very small way), of an evolving product

Plus, I was fully aware of this concept and the ideas behind the purchase as I read the FAQs about the game.
    (hence I went forward with a full version purchase and downloaded happily!)

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We have been starting to organise rf2 events and I have to say, after months of just fiddling with it, when you start competing and investing time into rf2 in a competitive field it really is something else. highly addictive, harsh learning curves, extremely rewarding and the more you dedicate to it the better it gets.

It requires a transition though, allot of rf1 users are struggling, assuming they can do the same with rf2 and if that don't work (tires/temps/physics/etc) they get frustrated. you basically need to reset yer brain and start from blank.

One big let down is how rf2 throws you into an editing/modding frenzy, almost everything has to be figured out and edited to your liking, even obvious things. from a user angle to admin, its just not easy and seems over complicated.
    Users with less time, dedication or simply lazy will be sold short in rf2 I suspect.

But as said, once on-track and dedicated, it is simply frigging amazing. i even enjoy cars I normally would ignore :p

14. doug484

doug484 Registered

Different things are important for different people - for me, without an offline championship mode (and no plans to implement one) I'd have to say rF2 will be nothing but a novelty. On-line racing pisses me off.

15. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Rfactor 2 has a big problem that is going back to rf1 or any other current sim after a rf2 race. :D

16. Deecee52

Deecee52 Registered

Dont be frightened of racing online, we are not all aliens , check us out here http://www.simracers4life.com/ we are a friendly group with wide skill levels and age range , come join us and have relaxed fun