Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Sometime in the near future they might implement it , this would be a welcome addition but I do feel there are more important stuff to work on first , there doing a fine job , 2 years ago I thought we would never have Vr in rf2 and here I am today enjoying something wonderful .

2ndLastJedi and The Iron Wolf like this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

For me Dynamic Mirrors are not a high priority, the main thing to remember is that a drivers head is tethered to the HANS device via the Helmet, then there's Head Rests either side so the drivers in many modern racing cars can't actually move their head that much anyway. Of course for older racing cars and even road cars there is much more head movement, but from the vast amount of VR racing I've now done in Sims not supporting this feature I can personally easily live without it.

Having said that of course should S397 bring it to the table it would be a cool feature to have :)

3. Jego

Jego Registered

I would much more want to see "rear in mirror" working. Meaning that I can see the back of my car in the mirrors. This would be so great.
    Especially since it works with some mods...
    But the new official content does not implement this at all...

4. Marko

Marko Registered

Quick question:
    Should i even try VR with gtx1060 6gb, i5 4460, 8gb Ram?

Thanks

5. Ceolmor

Ceolmor Registered

Yes. I'm using GTX980, i7-4790K, 8GB RAM, and with the Open OVR .dll mentioned in this thread, rF2 is now running smoothly for me with my Oculus Rift with supersampling at 1.5.

(N.B. Already was running nicely with Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally, but struggles sometimes with Project Cars 2.)

sherpa25, Narrowbackwing and Marko like this.
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah same , for me it's as long as they line up and are adjustable (not like same of the latest vintage F1 cars) I'm happy ;)

7. Shawn

Shawn Registered

anyone else experiencing issues with ASW not kicking in? Both in steam and OVR. Occasionally seeing fps in between 90 and 45

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yep , it only goes to 45 if I Ctrl 3 to lock it there .
    I choose Ctrl 1 to unlock anyway ;)

9. blagger

blagger Registered

For me locking ASW (or using the auto setting) only works sometimes and if it works it only works for a few minutes until the fps go to 50-70 and I get bad stuttering. This happens with the new dll and also with SteamVR and only with rF2. So there seems to be a problem with ASW on rF2. I hope the devs can look into this.

Shawn and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah id love a really smooth 90 fps in rF2 like i can for pC2 and AC ! But as it stands its a mixed bag of smooth and not so smooth . Some car / track combos are perfect yet others i need to muck around with settings again so i just avoid those tracks and tend to stick to the same combos all the time :(

I really wonder how ACC will run ?

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Is anyone in this forum besides me a backer of the Pimax 8k/5k+ ? They're going to ship soon and I'm anxious to get mine but I'm backer 6000+. :( I'd be interested in how the system does for any backer that get theirs sooner. Tough choice between the two models...

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

5k seems to be best choice if those two YTer backers are anything to go by !

13. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

You're' right about that. But I wonder how well either will do in rF2 since it is so graphically demanding. SweViver did mini-run with rF2 on both models but I'm looking forward to learning more. At first I was disappointed to be at the end of the backer's line. But now, maybe not so much...

14. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Registered

This thing works like a Sharm. It's great. I use also home beta 2 which switch in "off state" running a game so i reached the lightest setting possible. But i can continue to use the dash which give me the possibility to do some multitasking thing, like checking motec running the game.

I have a gtx970 so i'm very Happy now

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I did some tests at High resolution and manage pretty well .

I think this boads well for the 5k+

16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The thing is, no matter what you set in Steam VR, whether 2.0- 3.0 or whatever, with the Rift never more than 1.6 times is selected, which is why higher settings does not worsen the frame rate. The next thing it, everything above 1.1-1.2 does not improve the image sharpness if higher texture sharpening is selected in the player,json.

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I dont have the same results !
    200% has a much bigger impact on fps than 170% and i can definitely see clarity improvements going from 150% to 200% but have never tried past 200% . Also i only have prefered max performance in control panel !

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Yeah it will be playable at some level of graphical settings but I'm hoping to hear some subject feedback from anyone who gets theirs before I get mine. Any waiting backer following the Pimax forums will be aware of all the potential 5k+ vs 8k issues. Of course they will most likely only receive one or the other (some people backed multiple models) but any feedback will help an undecided backer like me. For anyone not familiar with the Pimax saga, they are giving 8k backers (like me) the option to choose the 5k+ with a $100 credit coupon if they so desire. They have upgraded the panels of the old 5k and now call it the 5k+. And so there are endless debates as to what the best decision is for each backer and of course one variable in the equation is the rendering challenge for games you like to play.

19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

My second report: it's working great (except for the missing loading screens already noted) but I found today that it forces the audio to my Rift even if I'm using the monitor. Re-install the original DLL and audio is back under Windows control.

Edit: it is supposed to do that https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md#audio-patching
    and

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  20. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I have also got something wierd going on with rF2 and AC, if I don't have Oculus loaded then my Rift display is black. I'm sure I didn't use to have to load Oculus.