Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@Mark Fuller
    I had similar results.....
    I'm using oculus beta & steam beta maybe it's related if you are too

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Leave that at default then and try Oculus Tray Tool, sounds like something is messed up somewhere on your system.

Edit: Don't go thinking it's a massive difference because its not, a simple way to check is to look at your FPS when you've set the SS high then again at Low, that'll tell you whether the SS is working as it should....or pay close attention to Text on Steering Wheels HUDs for example.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@GrimDad I believe that I have already opted out of rF2 Beta, SteamVR Beta [??] and Oculus Beta from previous advice.

@MarcG Will leave alone then as overall seems to run well at the moment ;)

MarcG likes this.
  4. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I didn't mention rF2 beta ;)
    Steam VR beta isn't much different tbh except it crashes more.
    You opt in the same way as rF2 beta (right click on steamVR / properties / beta's)
    I wouldn't recommend it....

5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@GrimDad Was just covering all the Beta Bases ;)

GrimDad likes this.
  6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Quick question. I have triple screens and I alternate back and forth between VR and triples depending upon game (AMS for example). I'm noticing that if I setup VR in rFactor2, I have to run a resolution of 5760x1080 otherwise the cursor disappears. If I try and run a resolution of 1920x1080 for example, I can't see the cursor.

Anyone else experienced this? Is there a way I can run 1920x1080 so I can save some performance?

7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@tlsmikey This is probably because you have the monitors and VR connected at the same time(?) If so, the native resolution is therefore going to be 5760x1080 and will remain so in VR. Do you adjust the resolution in the video settings before using VR?

8. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

@Mark Fuller . Yes, I have all them connected at the same time. I've tried adjusting the resolution in the settings before starting, but the cursor disappears. If I change it within the game once its loaded, it works fine though. Must be a bug.

I just finished some testing though and i'm not seeing a performance difference between triple screen and single screen resolution in VR (I have HMD display only checked), so that's a good thing. It looks like it has no affect on performance with HMD only checked.

Another question. I have an i7-7700K and 1080GTX. I ran some performance graphs during my last stint and i'm seeing the GPU running around 80%, but the CPU is down in the 40% range. Does anyone know what settings have a big impact on CPU vs GPU?

I'm trying to get the most out of the setup. In iRacing for example, dynamic shadows plays a huge role in GPU performance but not so much on CPU.

9. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

I'm just about ready to give up. I can't run 15 AI's with the lowest settings possible in VR. Tried a bunch of different cars/tracks combinations, and I can never stay at 90 fps. i7 8700k + 1080Ti. Why is it so graphics intensive when the graphics look like trash (on lowest settings)? I don't get it...

10. Magus

Magus Registered

Settings that have big performance effect;
    Reflection Road & Environment (turn off)
    Shadows (Low/Off)
    PP = Low
    AA = 3 or 2
    SS = (start with) 1.3 on steam-vr and work your way up

Finally ensure you have PCI-E x16 Gen3 on your mobo otherwise you will suffer with this engine & if this is the case then here lies your problem.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  11. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

Thanks man but I'm on the lowest possible graphic settings, no AA (3 is not even thinkable lol), no SS (checked both places in Steam VR and I'm at 100%). My motherboard is from this year so I'd assume it has the PCI-E spec you're referring to. My RAM is also overclocked at 3000. Something's definitely off somewhere...

12. Magus

Magus Registered

Yes for sure something is off. In Nvidia Control Panel - Help - System Information - Scroll down to Bus is it at x16 Gen 3?

13. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

Yes it says Bus: PC Express x16 Gen3. Is there anyway for me to troubleshoot and find the bottleneck? I can't imagine it'd be my GPU!?

14. Magus

Magus Registered

You can monitor/log your cpu/gpu/ram using msi afterburner.

15. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

Allright I'll try that and report back. Thanks a lot for the help by the way :)

16. Paperstreetjack

Paperstreetjack Registered

Just thought I’d post something that fixed my issue.

I7 8700k
    1080ti
    Oculus

Was getting awful FPS no matter what I tried, so went into the player.json file thingy... in there there’s a setting called ‘max framerate’ or something; mine was on 60, so I changed it to 90 or 100, can’t remember as I’m currently in bed so can’t check. Been buttery smooth ever since.

Apologies if already posted, hope it helps someone.

evernever likes this.
  17. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Yeah, i've definitely found the following settings crush FPS:

-PP
    -Shadows (even low hurts)
    -road reflection

I leave environment reflection on low because it makes the cars look better, but other than that I try and turn everything else off. Car detail and special effects don't seem to make much difference.

I do notice though that my CPU never goes beyond 45% during gameplay no matter what. Anyone know why that is? Do I need aggressive threading on or something else?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You may of changed that in the past as the Default value is 0, that could certainly explain the troubles before yeah :)

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Mine was at 0 also but should i put it to 92 ?
    I just checked NVCP / Help / Bus and noticed it says "Total available graphics memory 19426MB"
    "Dedicated video memory 11264 MB"
    "system video memory 0 MB"
    Then " Shared system memory 8162 MB"
    I have 16 GB in my system of system memory why does this only show 8162 ?
    But PCI E X x16 Gen 3 ;)

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Try it and see.