Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Tracking issue
    Check your trackers -reset them up in oculus or steam setup if not sure what’s happening

2. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Forgot to mention that it's a mixed reality headset (lenovo).

3. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

You have to make sure you do the quick calibration anytime your turn on your HMD. After you fire up SteamVR, before you launch rF2, look left right and down a couple of times.

TK

4. Booth_doberman

Interestingly, it worked fine tonight. When I left the game last night, I set head vibration to Off, and today it's working as expected. I had been fooling with the head vibration setting and hadn't noticed it really doing anything. By the way, I do not have to start up SteamVR manually before starting RF2. Before I even put my headset on, I start up RF2 to the launch window (where you can choose single, multi, dev, etc.) I then click the single player start button and put on my headset. SteamVR starts and RF2 loads immediately. No calibration of the playing space is required. When I first get into the car, I'm always positioned above it and I have to hit the VR Centering button a couple of times to get my body into the cockpit and aligned properly.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  5. blanes

blanes Registered

Someone please advise me what version do I download to enable VR ?
    I currently am on beta branch v1110 ... so is that the optimal version to run VR or should I be loading one of the other version ?
    And is there any VR specific command line parameters I need to add, like -vr or similar ?

cheers :)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You shouldn't be on any Beta branch, just the Opt-Out Branch as that is the latest DX11 version, you load VR from the Settings Options in the Launcher (Video Settings)

7. blanes

blanes Registered

Thanks MarcG I have not tried the vr since over a year ago now and at that time it was the beta dx11 v1108 but I did not get very good results at that time so wanting to see how far we might have come since then. cheers.

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I am curious as to how the mixed reality headset goes?
    Could you describe what you see in the headset (can you see the room as well as the game?)
    I have a tacho and button boxes and a light panel that are now redundant with the rift.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There was a recent performance update that helped VR somewhat, more to come.

blanes likes this.
  10. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

After some time of trouble free Rift use, my system has started acting up. Over the last few days, I have loaded up rF2 and got to the pit menu area and it freezes. I can hear the sound OK and I see an egg timer in the bottom right of the screen. As I move my head the view remains fixed with my movement. After several seconds it unfreezes for a second before freezing again. After 30 seconds or so, the Rift goes black and the white light changes to orange. Nothing shows up as being an issue in my machine [Device manager etc].

I have had to roll back my W10 OS a couple of times now as the new W10 build doesn't like my ASMedia USB [a known problem]. I don't know if that has affected anything, but I performed the following this morning [https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker] and no reported problems.

I have found a temporary fix, which is to reinstall the video driver. I therefore suspect that something happens to the video driver when left overnight or on restart of the computer. When this first happened I had a blue screen and I caught an error message relating to nvlddmkm.sys.

I don't have much hair left anyway, so before I lose the rest of it, has anyone had this and fixed it, or know a man who can? :) TIA

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I get this all the time ! It's quite disorientating . My only workaround is to Alt Tab after every mouse click then its freeze free until i click my mouse the n it starts again .
    I've had this since December though so probably something different with similar effect .

12. sharjeelr

sharjeelr Registered

I struggled about the same issue for about 2 months back in Oct-Nov last year. What resolved it for me: Disable the Game Mode (in W10) and install process lasso and leaving it on.
    BTW..once I moved to W10 fall creators update same issue or something similar starting showing up, so I reverted to W10 build 1703 (basically the build from Spring last year). I haven't updated to any new builds ever since because Microsoft has mastered the art of f***** up every f***** time!

13. benborp

benborp Registered

I've had a problem since the last update. Whenever it rains, despite settings being otherwise, I have raindrops rendered. I have a couple of events coming up with live weather on poorly optimized tracks with large fields and I don't have the performance overhead to cope with raindrops being shown in VR. Is anyone else aware of this as an issue? It persists despite generating a new JSON file.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@benborp I think rain in VR is a known performance issue, so probably not much you can do. If you're expecting to be able to turn off the falling raindrops I think you're mistaken, the option for raindrops is about the raindrops sitting on the car surfaces. If I'm not remembering things wrong myself.

15. Booth_doberman

When I am in the car, I see what I would see if I were sitting in the car in real life. I cannot see stuff in the room (it is not augmented reality). This does cause me problems with my button box setup on my wheel because I have to feel for the buttons. Fortunately for me, I pretty much stick with the USF2000 cars and there's not many buttons used any way. I don't see a solution to this, but my opinion is that the value of driving in VR outweighs the button box problem and the lesser graphics quality.

JimmyT likes this.
  16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure. I won't go back either, the rift is worth the loss of the button box etc for me. I do miss the tach and light panel but not enough to go back. :)

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

With VR you should be in cockpit anyway so just using the dash is plenty for me and preferable as that's what the real cars have . If i was driving my 200SX with custom gauges well then it would make sense but since there is no 200SX's in rF2 it doesn't bother me at all ;)

JimmyT likes this.
  18. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

I use VoiceAttack to do most of the stuff I had on my button box, except for things like lights/wipers/pit limiter which I have on the wheel.
    I have had to ditch my "proper" racing gloves in favour of some thinner MTB glove so I can feel the buttlons on the wheel easier.

19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

i7-7700k (5GHz), 1080GTX, VR (Rift)

Can someone help me with settings and optimization. The pics in the first page are still missing and i can only hold 90FPS right now if I run 1.0 PPD and the following settings:

Everything on low except:
    16x anisotropic filtering
    player detail: medium
    HMD only
    Windowed mode
    10 cars displayed

I'm mostly testing at twilight using the GT3 pack cars on Road Atlanta. Forget about rain for now. That transition to night seems to really cause issues. Is this normal behavior or should I expect more?

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Night time racing will cause a performance decrease due to the dynamic lighting + number of Headlights so it will be "worse" than at 12pm with a Sunny sky for example, HMD Only & Windowed mode have very little - if any - affect on performance in VR. As you're already on Low settings generally then I'd make sure to turn PP (Post Effects) OFF on the Video Settings Screen if you havn't already and turn down Anisotropic Filtering, also run with a lower number of AI cars.

Finally the GT3 Pack is a performance hog and as Road Atlanta is a community made track/conversion there's no telling whether it is properly optimised for DX11, which in itself could cause a drop in performance.