Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lebuz

lebuz Registered

not sure, I have a i7 5820K 3,3gh overclock to 4.0, before of update w10 to fall update RF2 works perfect with the same config

SOLVED: If I put only in settings HMD without monitor works perfect

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's interesting, when I did VR Benchmarks I saw no change in HMD + Mirror/HMD Only on my system,I wonder if a Win10, GPU or perhaps even a recent RF2 update could've changed that. I'll keep an eye on it and take a look one day to see if its changed for me also.

3. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I did read somewhere that w10 fall update messed with nvidea drivers. Uninstall driver with DDU and do a fresh install should get you up and running again

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Posting this here as I *may* of fixed some recent VR issues in RF2 since the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update rendered it useless! See this thread for my own issues, this "fix" - if it is one - may help other people who are having related issues:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/vr-massive-screen-hmd-freezes.58255/

I believe I may of found the cause (huzzah!), when I reinstalled RF2 from scratch I chose the v1109 DX11 Beta straight away, then I thought about "Rolling Back" to the v1108 DX11 Beta....lo and behold the VR works flawlessly. I then re-selected v1109 and it works just fine, after multiple PC Restarts and checking other possible outcomes I am now 99.9% convinced that the relation to the initial problem lies somewhere between v1108 & v1109 DX11 Betas.

adamfarmer, sherpa25 and Magus like this.
  5. EricW

EricW Registered

I'm a bit worried to be honest.
    Over the last few months i've followed the updates and outside the official content, which showed a small performance increase, the VR quality is still very poor imho.
    especially compared to new releases like PC2 for instance, much to say about that of course, and not comparing any other aspect of the SIM besides VR...
    I believe VR is THE future and present of SIM racing, and I dont see great improvements.
    Before releasing additional features like improved rain effects, more advanced Tyre models etc.etc....
    I'd focus on a stable graphics engine.

Clemenca likes this.
  6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

You saying PC2 looks better? I couldn't get it to do so regardless of settings. In the few comparisons I've made, rF2 looks better, especially vs the shimmering/bad aliasing in PC2. Only thing preventing me from running rF2 is the Lock to Horizon feature.

7. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Same here. For me rf2 and ac looks and works better in vr than pc2, but i have heard people praise how good pc2's vr implementation is. Maybe it is better on Oculus? I'm using vive my self.

8. EricW

EricW Registered

PC2 worked smooth out of the box without fiddling.
    AC always worked good and still does.
    Raceroom the same.
    I don't fancy a lock to horizon feature, but actively being able to set the amount of head shaking is first priority imho.
    Not through a plugin, but native.
    Maybe I'll try a fresh install, the way it is now, is for me unplayable.
    I use the Rift CV1 by the way.

9. Rolacka

Rolacka Registered

I think it may help if it had the same direct to oculus mode that ac & pc2 has, no need for steam vr with either of them & they work flawlessly.

Clemenca, elbo, The Iron Wolf and 3 others like this.
  10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+100 ^

Johngrim64 likes this.
  11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

I use Rift too.

Not quite the same with me. rF2 works fine, and although PC2 works fine, it's the performance (or should I say quality) that's subpar, at least when comparing vs rF2 (and moreso w/ AC). Oh , though OT, I even have better performance/quality with SVR in AC w/ my Rift. There's a thread in the AC forums for reference. Either method though, performance is still better in AC.

As I mentioned above, I now use SVR (AC) w/ better performance.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Gents I have a question;
    I have a MSI Twin Frozr HD7850 Card.
    If I want to improve graphics performance to an adequate level for VR would it work if I get another and crossfire them? (@MarcG I saw you had two HD7850 cards crossfired once).

If not what card would people recommend? I want bang for the buck rather than "ultimate no expense spared".
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  13. Depco

Depco Registered

crossfire does not work properly in rF2. Avoid any multi card config. Need to know what your budget is to make a good recommendation.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah it worked alright once but that was a long time ago so can't really comment on that now, different drivers, RF2 DX11 etc. I went with a single card and for me my GTX970 works just fine in VR, but I'd recommend a better card now.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I don't have a budget in mind, but normally there is a law of diminishing returns where every extra $ buys incrementally less gain. So I want best performance to price ratio.

16. aaron1990

aaron1990 Registered

Rf2 don t even work with vr for me. When i start the game it shows rf2 logo and everything inside my hmd ist grey.

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

In my opinion 1060 or 1070 are most efficient purchases. But thing is that with VR every performance bit matters, so the more you spend the better the perf is. Even if upgrading card won't push you from 45 to 90FPS, you will be able to run slightly higher SS setting, more AA etc with 1080 or 1080ti. I am not sure how AMD fares here, but I specifically left AMD because of gMotor based games. Maybe things changed with DX11/VR, don't know.

One more thing is that in VR rendering appears to be demanding a lot of CPU. What that means is that if you are ok with running low settings (no SS etc), you will be held back by the CPU more and more, which means that GPU matters less with lower settings.

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I'd recommend the top single GPU because, even the best one today will be just enough tomorrow and any extra capacity between can be used for better image quality in VR or for reducing system loads / heat.

19. Depco

Depco Registered

Do you have steam VR running? It should be before you fire up rF2

20. Depco

Depco Registered

You will likely get good performance with a GTX1070Ti. I have decent results with AMD R9 290, But at this point waiting for Vega 56 would be good if you prefer AMD. The RX line is not up to snuff compared to the Nvidia equivalent.