Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Just the fps counter on the mirrored screen on monitor is all I know
    It's a bit fuzzy too

sherpa25 likes this.
  2. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

BTW, do you guys see brake lights of cars ahead? Is there a setting that affects it?

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Brake lights may not work on content that's not converted. Easiest way to see FPS in Oculus is by using Oculus Tray Tool and enable performance HUD.

sherpa25 likes this.
  4. chrisbmxr

chrisbmxr Registered

Hey guys,

Has anyone had any luck fixing the 'white flashes' issue? I've tried everything here so far but I still get them in rF2.

It's particularly annoying as it doesn't appear to be performance related - I am getting great FPS ...

Thanks - this thread has been bookmarked!!!

Chris

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Chris, you could try changing positions of your sensor. In my case it was poor tracking. You could try bringing it higher.

I got rid of most of it by adding additional sensor. I do not recommend doing it (because it only happens in SVR), but in my case my logic was since all I play is rF2 and R3E and SVR is related to Vive, they will handle 2 sensors well and they do.

6. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with rF2 not closing down properly at the end of a session, such that it doesn't restart the next time - gives an app already running type error?

Also - what is the correct method of starting rF2 in VR? I see in the Studio397 thread it says to start SteamVR manually first. Has this changed because I seem to be able to only start by actually starting rF2 first.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  7. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

Hi guys, this was probably adressed before but i could not find it in this thread, at least in a simple way. My specs are 1070gtx, i5 skylake, 8gb ram, CV1. I want to be able to run rf2 at 90fps (not 45). I tried lowering all settings with no AA, 1xSS, but still there is no way I can make a consistent race with some cars without experiencing parts at 45fps.
    I also would love a way of showing the fps in VR so I can have a better idea of the frame drops.
    So I would like to know if any of you can get consistent 90fps with similar specs and which settings are you using.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Adrianstealth likes this.
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Depends it on track
    I really only stick to Isi/397 content with track setting low detail & 90fps no probs , limit viewable cars in options if needed

Fps is on mirrored screen on monitor (you have to peek )

Overclock your cpu too if you have not already

9. Magus

Magus Registered

Yes I get this frequently. When the error box appears I then have 1 or 2 instances of rF2 running in the Task manager that I need to close down manually from there as the game or Launcher doesn't appear on the screen. Once closed I then need to close Steam VR & Oculus Home (and sometimes Steam), restart everything and then it will load again. It can be a PITA.

I usually start rF2 launcher and then SteamVR, you can do it the other way now too. It's just that when the DX11/VR beta launched the latter method would result in no FFB but that was fixed a while back. You just need Steam VR running prior to starting the game from the launcher.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  10. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Thanks Magus

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Just to verify, as you're just using SteamVR @ 1.9, while using Oculus Perf Meter, you have PPD at Oculus Tray set to 0? Can't get this performance with a 980Ti (i5-4670k @ 4.0).

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I now use 2.0 in steamvr 0 Oculus tray tool, also raised other settings slightly. As ever performance is highly dependent on the mod and track combo plus individual system.
    If you're struggling maybe try locking fps to 45?

sherpa25 likes this.
  13. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

People pushing the higher graphics settings are running at 45 fps .I can't drive like that I have low graphics and 90 fps at all times

14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks. I simply tested your same race (Radical @ Silverstone GT) and settings, w/ SteamVR at 1.9. Was able to get mostly 90 only when I lowered graphic settings (medium) from the ones you posted in page 25 (w/c were mostly at High). Will try also w/ OTT at 1.4/1.5, but from your observation, SteamVR is bit better. I've been wondering if my CPU is holding it back, though Afterburner doesn't show high CPU usage.

BTW, what are your RAM specs (DDR3-1600)?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I never aim for 90 as my GPU isn't good enough, I can get there in a single car on track when hotlapping but I prefer to race mainly, so I adjust for higher settings at 45fps and it's perfectly fine (online too). uumm good question, was so long ago I bought the RAM (8gig) I can't remember, will have a look later.

16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Oh, got the impression from your post #492 that smooth was at 90. Ok, so basically 45 with asw set to On/auto. Tip request, how do you check status of asw, only through OTT (show asw status in hud)? If so, just set OTT PPD to 0, and just turn on ASW status, and set SS in Steamvr? Since afterburner only shows fps. Thanks.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nope I said it was locked to 45 in that post :) Auto flicks between 45 & 90 and can cause "defects" (on all sims, games not just RF2) but can be used just fine mostly, I prefer to lock to 45 to guarantee that smooth experience aside maybe a loss at Race Start which I can live with. Yeah use OTT to check that the FPS is correct, there's a few different HUDs to look at.
    Be warned though, just because my settings are good for me doesn't mean they will be good for you, each system is different, everyones eyes are different, SteamVR SS 2.0 looks better to me but you may find Oculus 1.5 better for you for example :)
    Best advice is to have a play around with the settings and find something you're comfortable with and always remembering different Cars & Tracks demand different levels of GPU, so Settings will have to change accordingly.

sherpa25 likes this.
  18. stonec

stonec Registered

VR should run 90 FPS in rF2 with GTX 1070, it all depends how far you push the settings. Lots of people now use pixel density values that approach 2x, that is, basically the same task as rendering in 4K resolution. The GTX 1070 was not made to provide constant 90 FPS @ 4K, it's something that even the best cards struggle with, regardless of the game basically.

Anyway, some people report better VR performance by overclocking the CPU, it's worth testing at least if you have a K model i5 that can be overclocked.

19. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

My installation retained the FOV that I had previously when running triples. What is the default FOV setting?

20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

There's a "Default" option in game IIRC.

TheMattyOnline likes this.