rFactor2 Test Build 107 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Use the filtering instead, and the offroad multiplier ;).

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Each steering wheel is different and will react differently to force feedback generated by simulation. That's why you have to adjust simulation to your steering wheel - damping, filtering, strength, etc.

Filtering is very important - if you haven't tried it, it's the first thing you should do. Start with this thread: LINK

When you tried these settings and still can't get rid of the problem, then you should report it, describing what wheel you have and what settings do you use. Otherwise your feedback's value would be next to nothing because it would carry no information.

I have a G25 which is known for one of the strongest rattling in rF2 and I've been able to configure simulation for my wheel just fine.

The feature is there. It's just that not many people are aware of it.

I guess they didn't read the most important post: Get Started Here ( how to purchase, faq, etc)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yes, yes. I can imagine a program, which doesn't ask for confirmation while overwriting a file. Then developer may say: there is the feature: user can see file name of just saving file, and he may still make choice ;)
    To me (since I am developer too) it is not an excuse.

You remember, last week some one said that he didn't knew about +fullproc feature... 7 years after rf1 release tjere are still users which don't know about very important features (because they missed manual, maybe because hidden in support/ subdirectory). Do you think that information written in some thread of some forum is good enough?
    G25/G27 users makes majority of community, but looks like rf2 is written for minority, leaving majority with hidden option... really strange approach.

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

No you're right. ISI employees should have it tattooed to their foreheads and walk around with self-facing webcams with a live stream to youtube :rolleyes:

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's not the same as saying there's lack of feature when feature exists, and misleading people, right?
    You can throw thousands of arguments and write hundreds of posts, but id doesn't change the fact, that what you wrote was simply not true.

That's why I corrected it. My post is there to help, that's all.

But it's not "some thread in some forum", right? It's the welcome post on official ISI forum, so stop acting like that information is buried somewhere.

6. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Besides, if the steering is rattling it is an inconvenience to some (maybe most) people, but that doesn't mean that it is a bug, or isn't working as intended.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No.. they should make rf2 for majority (with filtering set for g25/g27), and give option to remove filtering.
    They may provide filtering slider in controller tab.
    They may recognize steering wheel and set filtering for each type of wheel.

Again: do you think each user who installs rf2, does read this thread first?

8. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It's like in our league. We have regulations but nobody reads it ;)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If that thread also says "get started here" and is the sole location for much information, while everything to do with the software is being handled in the same forum, I'd say they (the users missing information - by not reading it) must be quite arrogant to agree with you on that...

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

As far as I can tell you were implying information is buried. It was not true and I corrected it.

I'm not interested in discussion.

11. 88mphTim

If they don't, that is their fault.

I can see you are working up to another 'episode', can you calm down? Honestly, you are now taking YOUR time, replying about the location of information. If people do not read instructions, that is THEIR FAULT. The thread is in plain view, and has a title which includes "get started here" and "FAQ".

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's really strange it must be discussed, because it is quite known behaviour of 99.99% customers. They never read "read_me_first.txt" files as well as manuals as well as "get started here" threads. Common customer just downloads/installs stuff and runs it. If you count that your customer will read such thread first, then all notes, bug reports (to not be surprised) and then he will decide to run game or not... what I can say.

On the other hand we (developers) should produce as most intuitive and ergonomic software as possible. Just to minimize need of providing help for customers who just missed some information.

BTW I'm calm. I'm reading this forum from beginning, so I know any reported issue and possible solution. But there are (and will be) new users who will report rattling getting the same answer: read "get started thread first".

You missed the point of my posts. I'm not talking about location of information. i'm talking about rF2 which forces to read 'some' informations first, instead of provide best experience for majority of customers at first shoot.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If it is true that rFactor1 has sold hundreds of thousands or even million copies, but there are not even near that many individual users or even visitors, maybe not even so many thread views, then it must be that there are many users never even visiting the forums.

I would imagine that from those that buy game only very small fraction ever visits at these forums.

After all, even I 'found' these ISI forums at time when rF2 was announced, of course I visited other forums, but does even majority of license holders use forums at all? Certainly not majority of internet users are using forums, which might be wrong estimate, but what people I know from real world only few uses forums, even those with fairly good skill with computers seem not to use forums.

Haven't read any studies of it, but I would think we are minority that read forums, we who write are just fraction of that.

Sims are of course minority's hobby and from that minority it can be that higher percent uses forums, but still there probably are many that don't even know such things exists.

Sims are also quite big leap from those common car games, I don't quite see point of designing sim to be casual gamer friendly as it is two worlds far apart, casual gamer probably won't ever understand idea of realism etc. If such features then cause frustration to more advanced simmers I'm not sure if that is correct path.

Wheels are different, but there is then question, do you want to adjust source (sim) to get desired output (wheel movements) or adjust output? Wouldn't it be easier for wheel makers to improve their products if source would be based on solid scientific base?

Reminds me bit from other thing where measured data was adjusted to fit model instead of fixing the model...

14. 88mphTim

How is a thread titled "get started here" not the first thing people see? By their choice.

If I keep having to link that thread, so what? Is it worth your replies on this and the arguments with other members of the community? Again? Really?

What would you do about 99% of customers who do not read instructions, exactly? Except from make them learn their lesson the first time they need information from them? Nobody has found a way to make people read an EULA, they just sue them afterwards and the court system blames the user for clicking agree. People need to read instructions when they are posted as accessible as these are, if they do not, that is their failure. 100%. But I still have no problem linking to those instructions every time someone misses them, because it really isn't the big deal and worth the energy you are pouring into your argument.

At a later stage, this won't be an issue, we will have something in the UI, in the meantime, people need to show that they are capable of following instructions. It is not difficult.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Advanced user will always find solution. Causal user will evaluate the title as crap and go away. And because there are more causal gamers than others... you know the answer.

On our forum about 100 members bought rf2 till now. but only 5 of them writes on isiforums and about 10 read it. I know this because we have to notify our members about news written on isiforums.

I would do my best to minimize need of reading any instruction (if possible). At least in major cases.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I believe that his point was to set better wheel specific default settings, so that larger percent of people would get better experience out of the box and maybe better sales etc. ?

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Then it should be in the wish list.

I've counted 4 times now in various threads that Tim has stated there will be some UI in-game about the filtering.

Yet reading many of the comments, it seems that statement has been totally ignored by some.

Just like the "Get Started Here" thread is ignored by some.

(See sig below)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

But are casual users fair target for rather hardcore sim?

That is then other side of this subject, maybe casual users should be scared away from rF2 to products that are more suitable to their casual gaming needs? I mean they probably will be frustrated for steep learning curve of driving car like if it would be real car instead of casual driving game driving style.

All those points are worthy to think about, imo. there are several sides to this as always.

19. 88mphTim

That is nothing to do with his point, that he's here arguing with everyone about.

I've posted a lot of times saying something will work it's way into the UI, what you are suggesting should happen, but he's not made that point, he's talking about getting people to read instructions for some reason... It's like arguing over nothing.

20. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

You're right, but what settings should be as a default?
    People have different stering wheels :)