rFactor2 Test Build 107 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 30, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Well my opinion on the graphics etc is similar to some others here.

I really like my good image quality, I like to do screens and hopefully vids one day soon(ish) so image quality is important to me but as has been said, for a real race sim the feel, handling, physics and ffb are the most important thing.

What I`d really like to have is a really good looking (but also realistic looking) race sim with the excellent ffb and physics etc that we all want... I hope (and think) that ISI will provide us with a great looking and handling race sim... hell, imo rf2 looks pretty good now and I`m even happier knowing that the graphics will still get more attention and be further optimised.

The feel, physics and ffb are very good now and I`m sure they`ll improve also.

One thing though... I don`t understand why some are calling for "gold" in the next couple of builds...

As I`ve said on several occasions I hope ISI take their time and deliver what we all want... a fantastic looking sim with fantastic feel, physics and ffb and if that takes time then so be it... there`s no rush (imo)

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Well said tjc, its great watching this sim come to life and there is no rush like you say. good things come to those who wait as they say. :)

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I run 60 fov b/c more fun. I was running 70 even which is really fast but am settling in on 60 which is good. I don't care how realistic it is I just like to have fun & challenge and immersion.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Are there plans to enable 3d trees. This is one tell tale sign of last generation graphics. Reminds me of rbr lol

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Ta mate.

Indeed... good things do come to those who wait.

Achieving perfection takes time...

:)

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It depends on monitor size and distance between you and display. Until you have no projected screen and sit a single meter from screen, lower fov is better. Don't listen ones who set it to 60 or 70. It's crazy. They are looking for artificial feeling of speed which must not be present in real life. Additionally highest FOV means more image distortion.

As I said, lower fov is better. But it resulting shrinking of visible range. So you should find compromise. It is easier while using some traking system (Freetrack, TrackIR etc). I found fov 40 best choice for me (for single 26" monitor, about 1m distance) powered by FreeTrack.
    Currently I'm running 3 monitors with 25* FOV I know correct one should be about 18* in my config) but I want to see right mirror on my right monitor without running freetrack.

BTW there are a few threads with comprehensive information about fov, setting it, calculating, with answers why etc.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Who is it that keeps telling you that you have to? Voices in your head?

The graphics are not finished yet, you know that. If we had worked on the graphics engine first, it would have been more damaging for you to have come in and said "looks great, but feels just like rF1".

We did the physics to a point where we can come back to them later, but so that they were a big step forward, then the team switched focus in some areas, one of which being to graphics, and they are not finished with that yet. It should be possible for rFactor2 to be visually pleasing and an awesome driving experience, if you'll have the patience to let it happen.

It feels like you're just arguing with yourself in here, getting worked up and making points that really aren't viable because, you're not talking about rF2 as it is now, you're talking about it being finished as it stands, and it's not.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Did you see the trees at Monaco? There are a mixture of 2D and 3D objects, including trees. :)

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

not that anyone cares but I'm just about to embark on a benchmark test including Build 90, 101 & 107. All mainly for personal gains just to see for myself how the game has improved FPS wise, may help the devs may not, probably post in a new thread as it'll get lost in here!
    Back later!!

11. osella

osella Registered

Could we please get more seat position vertical adjustability? The fore/aft is already great I can move it how I need but I have troubles with 60s cars in that I have too limited view on lower FOV, I'd like my real wheel to be slightly higher than the top of cockpit, and now with the highest position its slightly under that.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Its more immersive lower :) , more realistic too :)

13. OffCamberCustoms

OffCamberCustoms Registered

Thank you Tim and staff. Going to test now. Stoked for gold. Come on Street Classes :) GJ guys.

14. osella

osella Registered

I know its more realistic but in this case I prefer comfort over realism :p

Edit: hmm actually not so sure whether its more realistic. The wheel is clearly above the start of windshield.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Thanks for the reminder, Tim. Hadn't raced Monaco in a while. Trees look nice!

16. coops

coops Banned

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

It is with mixed feelings that I announce that ISI has won me back. I know I've been a little bit of a pain regarding the g27 thing, but now I am in rattling heaven b/c I am. I longer worrying about wheel damage and I have a big house. Also interesting is that I thought torque filter was not working but I do realize when off road that not so violent so that is great. And also I have to say with a car that has good physics and tire sounds on a course with much texture like mountain forest that sound is so helpful that I am not as picky about force feedback. OK so here is my 107 experience...

- Graphics = Excellent. HDR working. Smooth frame rate. FYI I have ATI card. As far as I am concerned graphics are excellent and will only get better as bugs here and there are fixed, etc. But graphics are way beyond sufficient as I actually like rf1 but this is great now so good job ISI.
    - FFB = Excellent. G27 rattling like crazy off road but I actually like it now b/c immersive b/c makes me scared to go off road. LOL. I think Logitech should capitalize on this fear and promote it. LOL.
    - Physics = A+. I know there is more work but I am satisfied already and will only get better. Great work ISI.

I have to admit that letting the rattling thing go and discovering historic f2 on mountain forest has had a huge impact on my satisfaction with rf2. The lively f2 and mountain forest were made for sim and I forget all the sim limitations and am totally immersed!

Oh yeah and the mixed feelings is b/c I started taking to my wife and family, sleeping, working out, going to work, even read a book, etc. those things normal people do while I was away from rf2 but now back to a reclusive cave man with scratchy face and grumpy if anyone interrupted me, etc. LOL.

18. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Thats not a bug!

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

no, but its bugging lots of people here (not me lol)

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's not a bug. it's lack of feature ;)