rfactor2 status quo / roadmap 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Feb 6, 2016.

1. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I think I'm mostly correct in saying almost all of ISI's work on rFPRO was between the final rF1 update, and the first release of rF2 (b49). rFPRO is updated and maintained by a separate company, called rFPRO. I would think it's quite rare that ISI would be putting any time into rFPO since 2012. You could probably consider rFPRO to be a super-mod of rF1, in that the rFPRO people have added their own physics modules etc after ISI opened up certain parts of the physics for them.

It's unfortunate for public understanding that rFPRO is both the name of a piece of software AND the name of the company that distributes and maintains that software, and the people who make rF2 (ISI) are not the rFPRO people. Not the same people. Not the same company. Affiliated. This misunderstanding comes up so often.

This is my schematic understanding of the situation:
    ISI (the people) gave/licensed rFPRO (the other people) a base engine (rF1 with some changes) and rFPRO (the other people) built into it (rF1 with some changes c.2009-10?) to make rFPRO (the software) to distribute to race teams/car manufacturers. ISI (the people) used what they'd learned in changing rF1 for rFPRO (the other people) and built rF2 from that base (c.2010-2011?)

some more detail, though it doesn't explicitly say that rFPRO is a separate group (they are): http://imagespaceinc.com/software.php

edit: i could be wrong about all of this

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Looks like a troll site to me. Pathetic really.

3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Proudly brought to you by Ian Bell(SMS).

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's not a statement, that's an assumption made on a click bait site run by 5 year olds. I wouldn't waste my mouse click by going there.

5. David Wright

David Wright Registered

In the latest Sim Racer Magazine, ISI say

So now you know.

6. Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick Registered

Interesting.....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. djbob

djbob Registered

This nugget of information is actually pretty big isn't it!?

8. williang83

williang83 Registered

If this is all you can tell me, than it is useless, because it might only be hype or marketing for some minor feature. I've learned to not hold my breath when there is business in the equation and ISI with rf2 is not an exception.
    What i see is that rFactor 2 currently is far behind of what i've would expected. I mean ok nice physics but after f1 2000 (or whatever it was), rfactor 1 and rfactor pro (which is what raised expectation bar), the current physic model is the minimum. Now, i don't know how big is the rfactor team but IMO there are too many features that are totally missing or unfinished and this is a recurrent topic that i've saw 2/3 years ago and one of my basic rule is that an unfinished/broken feature is like not having it.
    To fit my discussion to this topic, it feels like you really don't understand what is their roadmap. Both in terms of priority and in terms of what they will fix or add. By providing a roadmap at least you understand what they will implement in the GAME whether it will take a month or 2 years.
    Technically all modern racing games disappointed me, with rFactor 2 being the top because this is the one that i would expect the best. Maybe only iRacing is the one that somehow counterbalance my disappointment, but only because they still provide an overall decent online experience (however not flawless).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  9. philman

philman Registered

I totaly agree with you.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It seems to me that people in general expect too much from every Sim; RF2s graphics are poor, ACs Physics are poor, pCars is...poor, people bemoaning features that have yet to be added, people not getting the satisfaction from the Devs that they require so it's suddenly the Devs fault. ISI taking too long on certain areas like they have all the time in the world to add every aspect of every racing genre into one title (which has and will never be done!), AC concentrating too much on Road Cars and not enough on Racing, iRacing "finally" including Pit Crews as a feature like it's the be all and end all of a sim...give me a break!

Simply put, not enough people are just getting on and racing the Sim of choice for what it is and enjoying it, many of us have enjoyed them for what they are for years now and you know what? I for one bloody love the time I spend behind my wheel in any of the Sims I play, you don't get enjoyment? then why are you still playing it?! If I don't get enjoyment from something I do something else, it's not rocket science.

There's an obvious need for people to lower their expectations and just GET ON AND PLAY instead of whining and crying at every given opportunity...."OMG the Change log doesn't have enough lines in it & doesn't include the things *I* want" - I mean come on that's just pathetic! It's not just a problem here of course, the Elite Dangerous forums are filled with people writing "Open Letters" to the Devs explaining why they hate the game...and yet they still play it??!!
    I guess it's the state of todays society, there's a keyboard - there's a forum - go have a cry about nothing in particular to make yourself feel better but at the same time make yourself look like a right Dork as the Devs flick over the thread/post and go back to getting onto doing things their way.

I know this will fall on deaf ears but I don't care, I'm too drugged up on Lemsips to give a rats ass, I feel sorry for those that have to have everything yesterday and those that go out of their way to whine & cry, you're wasting your own time doing that....and what a waste of life that is!
    All I know is that when this Man Flu is shaken off I'm straight back to doing what I enjoy the most...getting a thrill & rush of blood as I hurtle a GT-R round Bathurst like the Apocalypse is about to happen :)

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

lol Marc good attitude ;)

12. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

IMO the main focus is here (copied from imagespaceinc.com)
    rFactor / rFactor 2 Licensing:
    To ask about a license to use our products commercially, or to license our game engine for your own project(s), please email partner@imagespaceinc.com.

and rF2 is the perfect proof of concept.
    If I'm right you will never get a roadmap or something similiar :)

13. williang83

williang83 Registered

Let me at least define what i mean with the term expectation together with the term sim/game. For me it means going forward and not see things being dropped. Championship is something that has been implemented by years, the same for session chain. Dynamic whether is not something new either (if you talk about details that's another topic). Ai racing in rain that does proper pitstop is not nothing new, nor is random AI strength and accuracy and so on so forth.
    Now if you take out all those things that has been done in the past, with quite amazing success at that time, and throw it away just because now you have another new feature to work on, then i will totally say you disappointed me.
    I'm not talking about a new tech that has never been seen before or something that requires a huge amount of power that goes beyond today consumer tech, i'm talking about something that has been done more than a decade ago. The natural flow is to have old things being updated and brought to a next level instead of being totally scrapped out.

Oh btw your attack to those who whine as you wrote can be viewed on another perspective, which is another fanboy that just accept whatever is done without questioning and buy whatever comes out just because of one or two major features forgetting that a product is composed by major and minor features.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This.
    I wouldn't put rF2 on top of disappointments at all.
    The point is that I just saw a lot of games having way more evolution since the first gen of sims appeared but the sims themselves (all of them) are a bit stopped in time, especially in the immersion part (events of a real life race). Some stuff was even present back then but it seems they just abandoned it and now it's way harder to implement.
    rF2 is still great tho.
    I just wait and see now, not having much expectations anymore at all

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

New gt legends announced on race dept. Could it be using the rf2 engine.

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It better do! Would be extremely interesting if so.

17. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

If you don't get any joy with any modern racing games, maybe its time to do something else than simracing..?

I don't see this thread of arguments leads us anywhere. ISI do their stuff as they want, although threads like this.

18. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I tried everything to stop people from trolling here... Maybe this here is a reminder of what this thread is all about:

I literally asked ISI (only) to give a short answer, if we get such a news for 2016.

19. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

When you are expecting to get an answer from ISI only, then you should try a mail instead a thread;

General Inquiries: info@imagespaceinc.com

result will be better in both cases; if they reply you'll get a reply, if they don't you won't have to explain other guys why and what you were asking. ;)

20. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Tuttle is smart. Everybody needs to heed Tuttle's advice... :p

*ducks for cover*