Rfactor2 singleplayer won’t launch

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by jelmpie, Jul 13, 2020.

1. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

This is an e-mail i send to support@studio-397.com. I hope someone can help me now.

hello studio-397,
    I have a problem with rfactor 2. When I start the game through steam the launcher will pop up but when I click on single player there will be a white rectangle with the rfactor2 logo in it. After around 5-15 seconds the launcher will pop up again. I already played it once but that was directly after downloading the game. I can also play dev mode.
    when I open the video settings in the launcher there is something that says windows 8 but the laptop I play on is windows 10.
    here are the video settings I have in the launcher

-windows 10 pro
    -processor: intel(R) core (TM) i5-7200U cpu 2.50GHz 2.71 GHz
    -ram: 4,00 GB (3,88 GB available)
    -direcx: 12
    -video card: nvidia geforce 920 MX.

I think the game won't start because of windows 8 IN the game/launcher and that my laptop windows 10 is.

I hope you can help me with this issue because it's a really nice game but really sad it doesn't work for me. I also had this problem with the demo. It started the first time but the second time it didn't.
    I saw on the internet that many people had a problem like this. someone said that if you wait for 7-8 minutes it will start but thats not whats happening to men

So again, I hope you can help me enjoy the game.

If there is more information needed to help me please send me an e-mail because I really wanna play the game

I already tried to see if there are no files missing through steam but that is not the case

best regards,
    Jelmer Haadsma
    The Netherlands

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

I’m sorry. I didn’t have pictures in it. I will put them in rn

3. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

4. lagg

lagg Registered

I've a laptop similar to yours.
    The same GPU, my CPU is the i5-6198DU, and i increased the RAM to 8Gb
    You have to choose your GPU in the video setup (instead of AUTO).
    I can't use more resolution than 1366*768.
    And i can't use modern content.
    The problem are the specs of your computer.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Thank you.
    But i think it’s weird i was able to play it ones and that i can play dev mode. So you say that i just need a better laptop or is it just what you think?

and i have bought a dlc so is that a problem or not.

and how can i find what gpu i have?

srry if i say stupid things but idk much about computers

6. lagg

lagg Registered

You have to select your GP In the video Setup screen (the gear in the launcher - video setup). Your GPU is the 920. You have to select this instead of Auto.
    I don't recommend you any laptop.
    rF2 is a program very heavy to run in a laptop. You'll have to reduce que quality as maximum as possible and you'll have temperature problems.
    Check i you can use the DLC. You have 48 hours to get a refund.
    Good luck

7. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Srry man. Those 48 hours of refund or something don’t work anymore if you played it for longer than 2 hours. I left the launcher open for like 12 hours. That counts as playing the game. I still think its weird that i can play dev mode and that it worked the first time.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

It's a shame.
    I don't say that it's not going to work, but only will work with certain content and few AIs and reducing the quality.
    Check the display ootions of the devmode.
    It's possible that are lower than the normal program

9. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Wait. I will start my laptop in a moment and i will make a video with what exactly happens.
    And how can i change ai things without getting in singleplayer or multiplayer cause multiplayer also doesn’t work

10. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Well. I can’t place a video for some reason but the video settings didn’t work in rfactor2. Idk why this game doesn’t work anymore. Cause i had the same problem with the demo that it would start ones and that not anymore. That’s something i find strange. Still hope one day studio-397 will help me or send a email back but now I’m like bag of potatoes. It’s a nice game but sad i have not a good laptop for it

11. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

12. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't think that this computer can move rF2 propperly
    You need a computer for gaming with a more powerful CPU and dedicated graphics card with 4Gb (as minimum)

13. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

What computer do you have and can you play rF2 on that. Cause than i know where to search for.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Aim for a CPU with 3.5GHz base, 16 GB RAM, 8GB+ GPU (not a built-in GPU, you need an actual separate one). If you have a CPU released in the last 1-2 years, a GPU released in that time, matching those specs, you should be able to play. The PC you linked to doesn't have a graphics card, can't fit a full size one, and probably isn't ideal to upgrade anyway.

You can play with less, but 'play' can mean many different things depending on screen resolution or VR, different weather conditions or time of day in the game, playing with 3 people online or playing against 60 computer cars, etc. So I'm aiming sort of in the middle.

For a specific but not really relevant example, I'm on a i5 8600 (3.6GHz), 16GB RAM, 11GB 1070ti graphics card, and rF2 runs pretty well. I run 3 screens so might struggle a bit if I ran a lot of AI cars and at night time with rain - I haven't actually tested that.

Now, having said all that, I don't know why it worked once for you and now doesn't. Showing Windows 8 and the wrong video driver is fine - that never shows correctly. It doesn't know what Windows 10 is. The game still runs fine, normally.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

I use the laptop only for modding. To drive, i have a High end computer, because i use VR.
    If you are going to use rF2 with one screen i wouldn't buy less than a motherboard with PCIe-X16, 8-16Gb RAM, I5, and a dedicated GPU with 8Gb.
    Even with this computer you'll have to reduce some settings, deppending on the content.

I've been thinking on why you could run rF2 and it stopped working.
    If you still have the demo installed, uninstall it. You should have only installed the "normal" version.
    Don't use the new UI (it's still beta and can cause troubles)
    Move your userdata folder to any place. The program will create a new one automatically (you'll have to assign the controls again).
    Select your GPU instead of AUTO, Fullscreen instead of borderless, and reduce the resolution to 1366*768 in the video Setup screen of the launcher.
    Reduce to the minimum all the settings of the left column in the display settings screen, inside the game.
    Select LimeRock and the Radical SR3, without AIs and try to race.
    I think that these are the less demanding options to try to run the program.
    I can use rF2 in my laptop with these conditions, and is almost the same as yours.
    If this works, increase one by one the options, to have better quality.

Good Luck

Lazza likes this.
  16. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Ooh. I don’t wanna play online. Now heavy weather and not much cars. Just formula e or something so do is it ok if everything is a bit less good than you said?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I wouldn't get a PC with less than 16GB RAM and 8GB of graphics card memory. You'd be buying a PC for 'right now' that might not do the job in 12 months (or when you decide you want to try some other content, or an offline race with a set of real opponents). Relative performance (with different configurations) can be hard to judge, so best to work out what hardware you'd roughly be getting and try to find someone with similar and see how they're going.

CPU needs to be good enough or you literally can't play the game, but a modern one with somewhere close to 3.5GHz (base) should do fine.

And even if your laptop can be made to play the game, you'd have a much better experience on a half decent PC. rF2 is all about the driving, and the driving improves when it's smoother.

18. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Oke. Thank you bro
    Im gonna look for a new computer. But I don’t think i will buy onr cause it’s expensive. I think i will play it when i have a better pc. Appreciate youre help.

19. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Ok now i can play the game but my stearing wheel won’t get detected. Any ideas how to fix it. I tried load but than i get nothing. And if i click on detect or something i will see no controller detected

20. jelmpie

jelmpie Registered

Sorry i just started it up again and it worked.