rFactor2 separate install under different driver/player name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scalino, Oct 17, 2014.

1. scalino

scalino Registered

Hi everyone,

I intend to install a separate core + data installation of rFactor2 alongside a few other ones already running (mainly, one core directory for each latest build, each pointing towards a same main data directory). The existing ones are registered under the name 'Scalino Corleone' both as player (ISI registration) and as driver.

I would like to install a new full set (core + data) with the last build 860, BUT under another driver's name (at least). What I mean, is I'd like to be able to race in multiplayer mode under my official / "real" / "enslaved" / ... name*. I already tried to make a copy of one of my existing cores and of my main data directory, changing the name in player.json, but it still starts under 'Scalino Corleone' (and the player.json file is modified accordingly to match it, when I get out of the game). i even tried to change name in the .rFactor directory under my windows user's profile's dir, but it doesn't work either....

What should I do? Can I avoid creating a second windows profile (and if not, what about ISI registration process? --> will I have to buy a new license)?
    Maybe even more important question: will I be able to maintain both players'/drivers' instances of the game?

Farewell,
    Scalino

*: Well... technically, Scalino Corleone di Napoli is my true deep real name (the one I chose and decided to proudly claim), however my nation seems not to recognize it as the official one... And the league I intend to race in, next season, also requires we use our "official designation"... What do you want me to say...?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There's one nickname per purchase, sorry. If it is very important to you, then yes you would need another purchase.

You can race under your real name though, the host just needs to set their server to not use nicknames.

3. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Editing the file "rFactor.name" in *:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor may work,making sure to make it 'read only' after editing?

4. scalino

scalino Registered

thanks, well the league I'm talking about uses full names. So you say I should be able to change first and last names while keeping the registered nickname (and mail addr. I suppose) as it was, right?

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Is there any way we can have different profiles (for my couple friends who play when they come over, so I can keep track of all their own personal laptimes, and other stats like in rF1). If they all must use the same name when online, that's ok, but is there a way to have different profiles for stats purposes?

6. scalino

scalino Registered

just a short notice, I finally could change to my "real" full name (in both .rfactor\rfactor.name -protecting it in read-only mode, and in player.json files; this time it worked, and as I didn't change nickname nor account information, it works fine in multiplayer too).

(so problem is solved, basically)

the only thing is, stats seem to have been "reset" or sth (if I look at nb of laps / poles / etc...) but it's not that much of a problem for me. I'd have liked to keep those done under previous name but that's not vital I got them back either.

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Not really but a work around would be to have copies of the player folder?
    Start a fresh,save player folder as a template.
    tweak each copy as needed,quit rF2 and swap/change the player folder when needed.
    maybe also tweak the .rfactor file for nickname change?

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lopl