rFactor2 recommended settings in Steam Store Page... Do they provide the best experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arismonty Beato, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Arismonty Beato

Arismonty Beato Registered

Hello,

The settings below have been taken from the rFactor2 Steam Store Page... Does this really provide the best experience?
    I ask because I have a similar environment and after the DX11 updates my experience has been very bad.
    I had to go back to v1098 to have some fun after a couple of years of flawless rFactor2.

Do you think this reference has to be changed to better settings or an explanation be added?

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel i5 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GTX 760 or AMD 7870
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 60 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Thanks,
    Arismonty

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Video card is weak and CPU will limit how many AI you can add. If you have such a system, then stick with resolutions no higher than 1080p (1920x1080), turn Anti Aliasing off (or a low value), turn off Sync, and turn off Post Effects. Then you can turn things up to see what works best for you.

upload_2018-6-30_9-42-5.png

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  3. Arismonty Beato

Thank you so much Emery.

So, if that video card is weak... what would be a hardware setup that doesn't need tweaking?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  4. Wanderer

Wanderer Registered

That depends on your target resolution and fps.
    And if you like very big driver fields or not.

5. Arismonty Beato

Thank you Wanderer,

I see now. Is not an easy thing.

I'll just have to buy the best computer and video card I can, and try to do the best with it.

My current computer just can't keep up with the new builds even with all setting off or minimum (I have already tried all that Emery suggested in the past and even a lot more).

I still think these explanations of Emery and yourself should be somewhere in the Store Page, because that cold 'Recommended' can cause confusion to people like me that don't know this Resolution/FPS/Driver relationships stuff.

Thanks again,

Arismonty

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Things to know :

- Your hardware is very insufficient, especially GPU (my GTX 780 have a lot of trouble).

- Without offending anyone, and despite the performance update, RF2 is one of the "worst optimize simulations / simcade / race game" (if not the worst). Partially justified by the specificity of the simulation.

- The worst performance killers are :

AI, rain and rain intensity, race time (sunset / sunrise / night), clouds, mirrors.

Graphic settings: PP, shadows (2 settings), rain setting : never set it on ultra, significant performance difference between anisotropic X16 and X4.

So what is the horrible RF2 setting for the hardware ?

The normal setting that leads from time to time to have :
    ------> Sunset / sunrise / night + intense rain + mostly cloudy + mirrors + maximum number of AI allowed (which IS LEGITIMATE). Aggravating factor: timescale.

If you want to play in these conditions with AI (which is legitimate), I advise you :

No PP + AA level 1 or OFF + full HD + vsync OFF with FPS limiter according to your screen (me = 59.998) + less than LOW END GPU RECOMMENDED SETTINGS.

And probably, As with my GTX 780, the minimum FPS will be less than 60 under these "adverse" (but frequent) circumstances, ASSOCIATED WITH EXTREMELY BAD GRAPHICS (poor performance + very poor quality = UNACCEPTABLE).

Radical solution with a huge compromise, but which allows to have the graphics in ULTRA with good performance in full HD / 60 hz :

If you are an OFFLINE player, maybe you can make this Big compromise ....... ......... SIMPLY PLAY WITHOUT AI.

This is simply the most disastrous setting for performance on RF2.

Unfortunately I really do not think that S397 has become aware of the seriousness of the "poor optimization" of this parameter, really, it may be related to the non optimization of the PCIe X16 2.0.