Rfactor2 - In Game Sound Issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Craig Waddell, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I've an issue with in game sound which could be an RF2 issue or possibly a PC issue. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I'm using Default HRFT with headphones (HP Reverb G2 over USB).

When I'm in game, occasionally when driving all of the sound from RF2 will go silent. The sound card is still working because I can still hear Crew Chief talking to me on the radio. I also run other sims and have no issues with them (AC, ACC, AMS2).

If I come out of game, select another sound option then back to default HRFT then the sound comes back. Obviously if this happens mid race then this is a race killer having sound is half the immersion and another sense which helps drive and achieve fast lap times.

I've been using RF2 for some time now (2-3 years), this issue is only recent.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do you have trace file logging enabled? If not, might be worth a try to see what it says about the audio device.

3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm streaming data from RF2 to Crew Chief and SimHub for Bass Shakers. I've disabled recording and I have a Motec data logging plugin installed but I think it's disabled at the moment. I'll have a look later just to check.

4. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Registered

Not where it cuts out mid race but I do have issues once in a while where not all sound channels will work or it will start a race with no audio. A system reboot fixes it. Never had the problem until rf2 did the big audio update

Craig Waddell likes this.
  5. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

A reboot suggests a hardware or driver issue. That's assuming that sound doesn't work for other windows applications.

My issue is just isolated to RF2

6. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Registered

Yeah I'm talking about only when using rFactor 2. Everything else is great

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Have you tried reducing the number of effects in rF2 audio settings? I have to keep mine at default or it would cause issues. I've seen others say they limit effects to 32. It's the only title where I experience sound issues.

8. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I don't recall ever changing it to be honest but I've had Rf2 installed for about 3 years now.

Out of interest what is the default setting?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The sound engine was changed this year, so the options (and potential issues) are entirely different. (HRTF wasn't an option last year, for example)

Not sure if default is 64 or 255, but neither should cause complete sound loss. To me that sounds like the audio device(s) has reset/changed and the game lost it. If you capture a trace file it may show that. Could be VR related or something else.

10. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

I have the same problem. I got this today for the first time because I decided to use the G2 Headphone. Any solution is possible?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Please create and share a trace file, it might help. And you have the identical issue to the first post, yes?

12. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

Thanks for the prompt answer. Yes exactly the same. Suddenly the track, engines, tires and so on sound go off but I still hear the Crewchief spotter chatting and the menu sound when I leave the track.
    Reverb G2 + SteamVR.

And of course I will try to follow your istruction to share the log file.

About the procedure you suggest, how to get the gray screen? It is probably an old version, isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    Lazza likes this.
  13. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

I have problem to apply the procedure for the log file. Can anyone help me, please?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The first picture here (not the second), it's in steam.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-create-a-trace-file.62304/

(and, note that no one gets a notification when you edit a post. It's better to reply again, or at least post again, if you are asking another question)

15. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

16. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

Hi. I got finally the log with the failure. It was during an offline race session againist AI in Melbourne with Tatuus F-60.
    Instead to post here the complete long txt I have searched, and I think founded, the point when the sound goes off.
    Actually what happened is that the sound goes off in my G2 Headphone (Altoparlanti in italian - Realtek USB 2.0 Audio) and goes on another sound device connected to my PC.
    Here after the screenshots.
    Part_01 is at the beginning, as it shows by the Time Stamp, the Part_02 when the failure happens.
    It happened several time, I would say always, so it is a systematic failure. It should not be so diffucult to be solved.
    Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks, but it really is better to attach the whole .txt file :)

I agree something is happening with the device, but it might take a dev to understand what might cause it.

(don't paste the text in here - attach the whole file. You should be able to 'drag' it onto your post)

18. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

Yes sure. I will do.

19. Djangopass

Djangopass Registered

I discovered right now that it is a problem not dependent on rf2. It happened exactly now also in iRacing. So I think that I have to solve it in the G2 somehow. But I have not a clue.

20. falconitage

falconitage Registered

I have the same issue with my hp G2 in rf2 !

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024 at 8:12 PM