Rfactor2 Home Server For AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig Waddell, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

On the back of something I read online, is there any benefit to running a home server with AI drivers as opposed to having the AI hosted on the gaming PC?

The reason I ask is that I'm a VR user and have a Sim Racing PC and an office task PC (Gaming, Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3ghz, 32GB Ram, RTX 3080. Office, Intel i5, 16GB Ram). Anyone who runs VR knows how demanding it can be and even with an RTX3080 I can struggle with frame rate at times.

Would setting up an AI server on my office PC yield any real benefit when it comes to the quality of gaming and VR experience on my gaming PC?

2. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that AI affects mainly to the CPU and RAM usage.
    If your bottleneck is there, this option could be useful.
    But you'll have to deal with it.
    There are some threads about it, because it seems not to be easy.
    IIRC you'll have to open the correct ports and enable the loopback in your router.

3. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks, I've got plenty of RAM on my PC and also a decent CPU but I suppose whether it makes a difference or not will depend on whether the AI runs in its own separate process thread or alongside other parts of the simulation in a combined thread. If the latter then running a separate server should yield some benefits. I suppose that only S397 will know the answer to that one.

I'll give it a go and will see if it makes any difference.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

If you open the Taskmanager and check the use of the logic processors in the performance tab, you'll be able to see the difference of use of them, if it's balanced or if rF2 is using too much one of them.