RFactor2 developers wanted!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KartSim, Feb 27, 2017.

1. KartSim

KartSim Registered

Hi there, we are looking for a developer or a team of developers who can help in the following:

1. Investigate and find the best way to protect custom built tracks and kart models on rfactor2

We are building custom tracks and kart models for rfactor2 which we want to sell as a license to our customers. What we are trying to achieve is that we only provide access to our tracks and kart models whilst the customer has a subscription to use them. The pathways we want to protect are:

C:\rFactor2\installed\vehicles

C:\rFactor2\installed\locations

There is a config file in rfactor2 where you can change the destination of where these files are stored.

2. Build an ecommerce solution to allow subscriptions through web.

As well as this we need a back end solution where we can manage subscriptions and a frontend solution where customers can sign up and pay. For payments we want to use PayPal. Customers will be able to buy a certain number of tracks/cars and the amount they pay will depend on how many they want to purchase.

3. Customise rfactor2 Online Gaming

Customise the rfactor 2 online gaming experience and user options to allow us to hold custom online races for the UK karting community and help with other rfactor2 menu customisations.

If you feel you can help us out with any of the above and for further info please contact us on:

harrison_scott@me.com

walruskart likes this.
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Isn't that what Cloud Sport did? Maybe some of their guys can do it for you

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

protection for chargable DLC is something I was suggesting a long time ago

this will attract investment ( laser scanned tracks from modders etc )

cars/tracks would need to be online verified prior to loading

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ales from United racing design should also know about stuff like that.

5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

If I were in your position I would try to get into the beta programm, as Studio 397 is reworking the HUD and stuff like the worshop integration in the UI. If I am not totaly wrong, there was also a discussion regarding selling items on the Steam workshop. And as peterchen allready told you, United Racing Design is a good adress aswell, maybe even to make a partnership. They offered people like James Mabe to sell his track on their website.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Reach out to Tim Wheatley as the kind of licensing you want to do is different than the regular userbase has.

7. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

As per Gui, Sounds to me like you might need a commercial licence for RF2 aswell, to drive a subscription model. Your subscribing your content, but using the base game for a commercial income stream. (so would likely need a commercial licence).

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

To protect files on an open software platform, is allways one of the worsest idea`s...rFactor2 is still alive, because of the moddable structure. Also, for some API Plugins you need access to several files from Mod`s and Track`s, protected files wouldn`t help to keep this up. Just my opinion...

9. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

I agree with Juergen-BY - mostly. Either you are choosing the wrong platform or the wrong way to ask.
    In my view, don't ask the community in an open source platform how you can be closed sourced. Ask the developers directly. You can find their details easily on these forums.
    Don't get me wrong, if you do something worth paying for, I will pay for it. However, until you have something worth paying for, it is probably better to talk to the developers directly before telling the world.

This is just my personal view and advice. I wish you well and lots of commercial success

F1Aussie and Juergen-BY like this.
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

S397 is already working on a similar solution, so step 1 in your plan might become unnecessary in the near future. From last November's roadmap:

Another new feature we would like to announce is support for paid content. It will integrate nicely with our workshop, and modders will also be able to leverage it to sell their creations. Obviously we would like to use this feature to offer you a wide selection of high quality and high profile content. This does not mean that all future content we create will be paid though.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

The approach of the virtual FormulaE race organisation in that aspect was rather interessting. Just saying, but I do not know myself much about that.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just want to add, i`m allways willing to pay for good content, as well for content from the studio, as for 3rd party content, too.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I did they said subscription though, so would that be like Iracing where you don't own it, you have to keep paying a regular fee to keep using it?

14. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Hello, James Mabe the one someone mentioned earlier. I sold my track through URD but really there wasn't any protection in place in that situation. People purchased the track and the file was sent to them, it was mostly an automated process but the file itself didn't really have anything special done to it. From my experience it is already quite difficult to make much from selling content and a subscription service would probably make that even more difficult since people are a lot less likely to jump in to temporary ownership. While ISI was typically very open to helping freelance developers be able to sell their content and Studio 397 seems to be also, what you are subscribing sounds more like territory for a self sustaining product such as simraceway was to RF1.