Rfactor2 CPU process threads, a question for S397

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Craig Waddell, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Hi, I don't know if the S397 team view these forums but on the off chance they do a short question.

All on here love Rfactor2 and I think we all agree that S397 are bringing what's an aging platform along nicely. It's no secret that getting RF2 to run smoothly can be a challenge, especially if using VR.

My question relates to CPU monitoring with a view to understanding what each of the CPU threads does with an in game indicator to help understand which CPU process is at or beyond the limits of the hardware.

I'm not an iracing fan but after reading the link below, their simple CPU graph for each thread seems like a great simple idea to understand if things are bottlenecked.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boxthislap.org/is-my-cpu-a-bottleneck/amp/

If we were to have the same along with details of which settings affect each process it would make optimisation and fine tuning an awful lot easier.

Anyone else see a good use for this?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ctrl-F shows very similar info (with timings), while Ctrl-C breaks down the CPU use and allows you to isolate the 'physics' (which actually includes AI calcs) via the purple bar and histogram.

The issue with VR appears to be that it introduces a whole heap more processing to be done on top of what the game is doing, so whereas the game really can get away with 4 cores of sufficient speed (so the physics runs fine, the graphical component of the CPU is keeping up, and the little bit of multithreading that I believe is mainly limited to shadows can be thrown onto another core or two along with the background OS processing), when you put VR in the mix all the extra cores are actually utilised. But I don't think the game itself can monitor this.

atomed likes this.
  3. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

There is definitely something not right with the way rf2 works with the processor. It doesnt seem to be utilizing the latest hardware very well at all.