rFactor2 Build 240 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 27, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The small team people mention seem to be putting things in the top of TO DO LIST which are questionable to be the most urgent ones. The lack of info about development get people nervous. There are communities that are already focused into rf2. In our case we just abandoned rf1 forever. However, a good number of our members resist to move up due to all the problems and are not willing to pay for something unfinished without even knowing when it will be finished or at a sufficiently high level. This would mean bug free and optimised for recommended HW requirements.

Saying that development will continue for years can be understood that all these bugs will remain for years or at least that is what I have to read from it.

They are a small team as you say but a development plan should be there taking into account those small resources.

I wonder what will happen when the purchase rate starts decreasing and the cash flow might start to get negative. For me it is clear development will stop no matter the state of the program at that moment, which is what happened to rf1.

Since we already have consented this type of unfinished releases (nice way to save money in testing while financing the project), they will just launch a full of bugs rf3 without any kind of development plan or final product target date.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

2. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

Do you really think rF2 will become an unfinished release? I don't think so! AFAIK since last build there is no "major" bug remaining! There is still work here and there but I'm convinced ISI will achieve his objectives! Time will tell us... ;)

3. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

Assetto Corsa want to get a simulator practically finished.
    Dog and cat have the same number of workers, and worked in the same years.

I like working more like KS boys, all much more serious and refined. I think if Assetto Corsa goes on sale before RF2, sales would have been very bad for rf2. So they have released an unfinished version.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't know for sure. It will certainly depend on things that are unknown for us atm. IMO it will depend on the purchase rate. If all expected users to buy the software already had bought it and no extra money is getting into ISI's bank account, what do you think it will happen? Would you work for nothing? If ISI has no clear project regarding timeline, how are they supposed to get the money required for further development?

A project needs to have a expected budget for development and also a expected number of buyers for the product. With that data you can fix the price of the product to be sold.

Everybody says ISI is a small team. What is small? 10?, 20?, 30 people? If you consider an average cost of 40.000 $ per person and year and a 4 year development that would make 3,200,000$ budget for 20 people. Considering an average price of 60 $ they would need to sell more than 50.000 copies of rf2 to avoid bankruptcy. These numbers are for sure a wild guess and lots of things are not included as licenses hardware, rentals.... What I mean is that some projects just fail due to bad planification and I hope it is not the case but some people just think life is wonderful and that ISI has no risks in this project. That is not true and the way the project is being carried doesn't seem to be the expected one. Unfortunately for everybody there are not those many simracers as arcade game players in Playstation or Xbox which could support such a long development as rfactor2 seems to need. I dont know how many people are working in polyphony digital for GT series but for sure the expected number of copies to be sold are in another magnitude compared to rf2. In other games as fifa they release one game every year. Either some are making lots of money or others might have the risk of failing in the try.

Finally, saying that rf2 is almost bug free atm is ridiculous. Lots of things are not implemented yet and optimization certainly sucks. Graphics are from the past. Certainly a lot of work stilk to be done.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I'd like to think they have much more experience on how-to after rf1 and they have learned a few things here and there.
    For one not to be to open and communicative towards us because that only clutters the process, increases negativity and motivates people to do even more guessing and assuming.

Guessing and assuming is a choice, you can also choose to have some faith. I don't think they would enter such a project knowing they could 'just release it already who cares anymore'.

One thing that is indeed an issue is the state of the sim, communities and leagues are indeed left wondering what to do, rf1 users are caring less for the same old same old but yet unsure what to think of rf2. this is hurting leagues and the like indeed.
    And since it is extremely hard to start over as a community once its memberbase fade away, a seamingless-ish transition or at least knowing more about what to do would be preferable. leagues running out of members will not magically emerge from their ashes once things become clear.

But, Tim did say earlier on the subject that they would be more clear about this in the future so i'm still waiting for that :)

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Honestly I got a feeling when Assetto Corsa comes out all it's going to do is justify rF2's position even more. They already saying many features that we take for granted in rf2 won't be in AC when it drops. I think using AC as an example is going to backfire a little bit. From what I understand no pits are coming to AC at first. To me that's gotta mean no damage or if there is damage there's a weak way of handling it. But basically no pits means no serious racing for me. Not to mention I don't think there will be night racing nor time of day transitions. This is the last from what I read about it.

7. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

Assetto want to have a stable base, a game where you can play without problems. Gradually will build on that basis.

* The visual damage is not known if they will be in v1.0. But KS said that if given time, will add them later.
    * The rain has not said anything, but that of Netkas is very good and will probably be there in upcoming updates.
    * Transition from day to night almost is implanted in the demo, there are now videos of cars with lights. It is probably to be added soon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfL3PWm_fA
    *pit stop will be added later.

This project look good.

Isi on the other hand, has begun to build all the features, but has not finished. The pace is very slow.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  8. JETninja

JETninja Registered

Hey Tim, before build 240 it always remembered my online login info, now I have to re-enter the email and pw every time (even though the "remember me" is checked.

What up?

9. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

10. whitmore

whitmore Registered

My warning icons eg pit , drive through penalty etc appear at the very lower part of the screen. Is there a setting to change the position of these icons. I have seen screen shots of other racers that are at windscreen height.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

What HUD are you using? You can change it.

12. Alesi

Alesi Registered

almost 2 months no build... interesting what could we expect in new build and how far we will move compared to 240?)

13. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

[​IMG]

14. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

2 months for stability improvements... I hope he is just being modest...

15. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

What might "stability improvements" mean? What's not stable? I take not stable to mean the program crashes. I don't think that is happening so he must mean something else.

16. Jos

Jos Registered

multiplayer is pretty unstable at times.

17. coops

coops Banned

i still get rf2 crashes the last few have come from the nvidia updates as they are not stable was told to go back to 320.49............

18. Javik

Javik Registered

Hi i have a gaming pc based on two gpu amd 7950 in crossfirex 8gb ram and i7 3770k overclocked and the game is very poor in performance and bad fps in high mode at silverstone 20 cars. I like amd. When update of performance and fps?

Pd. I cant sincronize my account on forum to rfactor2.

19. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Spaskis
    Standard HUD with Fazebox map plugin.

20. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Hi all,
    I have a down load canceled error.
    Downloading all tracks & cars_10.mft.rfbz2 to Manifests\
    Download error occurred. Retry number: 1
    Download error occurred. Retry number: 2
    Download error occurred. Retry number: 3
    Download canceled

I see comments that people have used the standalone down-loader; where is that?
    Some say do a clean install using the minimal rFactor2; that seems to defeat the object of having an update method.

Help/Advice please.

Note:- not been on rFactor2 for a while.
    The current working version is build 198.